Contreras our best Cy Young Candidate?

atrain081

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)
I am as big of a Brandon McCarthy fan as exsists, but do you all seriously want to put a guy with 7 or 8 career starts as a #2 playoff starter??? Wow.

And Ozzie will get ripped for it. :ph34r:

SS2K5...I don't see that we have any other choice right now.

Maybe if Buehrle and Garcia both have dominating starts in their next 2 outings, but without that, I go with the hot hand no matter who that hand is. Those 2 have just been that damn disappointing over the last month or so.

The rook looks great right now. Give him the ball.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 06:43 PM)
SS2K5...I don't see that we have any other choice right now.

Maybe if Buehrle and Garcia both have dominating starts in their next 2 outings, but without that, I go with the hot hand no matter who that hand is.  Those 2 have just been that damn disappointing over the last month or so.

The rook looks great right now.  Give him the ball.

There ya go. Ozzie couldnt have said it better. Wait, Ozzie couldn't have said it anyway.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
I am as big of a Brandon McCarthy fan as exsists, but do you all seriously want to put a guy with 7 or 8 career starts as a #2 playoff starter??? Wow.

no I wouldn't to start off at least.. Let him work the bullpen and get the hang of the playoff atmosphere.. He has a whole career ahead of him

QUOTE(wsox08 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
no I wouldn't to start off at least.. Let him work the bullpen and get the hang of the playoff atmosphere.. He has a whole career ahead of him

But the Sox are not guaranteed opportunities like this in the future. Go with the hot hand.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)
McCarthy should not be in the playoff rotation.  Yeah he has pitched well but he is a ROOKIE.  Bullpen.  Also i can't believe you are seriously saying McCarthy over Buehrle and Garland.

Buehrle hasn't proven that he can handle hot teams/high pressure situations in the regular season. In fact, he's proven the opposite. McCarthy has at least pitched good under pressure. I'd start McCarthy over him in the playoffs. Remember, Prior started Game 2 in the playoffs in 2003 and that was only his 2nd year as a pro. Buehrle does not deserve to start over Garland, Count, or BMac. That's flat out truth.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
McCarthy should not be in the playoff rotation.  Yeah he has pitched well but he is a ROOKIE.  Bullpen.  Also i can't believe you are seriously saying McCarthy over Buehrle and Garland.

?????Of course BMac should get a chance at the playoff rotation. He's beat 2 of the toughest offenses in the league on the road. Just because he's a rookie doesn't mean he can't pitch better and doesn't deserve a spot any more than anyone else.

I think the playoff starters should all depend on how people do in the next 2 starts.

Freddo did the job today. He just raised his chances of a playoff start.

MB is on the hill tomorrow. If he gets his mechanics together and shuts these bastards down, and then they both repeat that next start, then the question marks will disappear, and I'll agree that BMac should be in relief.

But if Mark or Freddy are lit up again in their next start, and BMac throws another pair of great games in clutch situations (BMac is on the line for our last game of the season btw)...then I think you have to go with the kid.

Freddy and Mark, and a little bit Jon too....have to earn their starts in the playoffs right now. I don't care if the kid's a rookie...if the vets aren't performing, they shouldn't pitch.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
Freddy and Mark, and a little bit Jon too....have to earn their starts in the playoffs right now.  I don't care if the kid's a rookie...if the vets aren't performing, they shouldn't pitch.

Agreed. If BMac pitches great his next 2 outings and wins that last, possibly crucial game of the season he deserves to start sometime in the playoffs. If MB and Jon have a great finish to the season they should pitch in front of BMac because of their experience and Freddy should start in front of BMac pending a good last week of the season because of his ability to step it up in the big time games, and it doesn't get any bigger than the playoffs

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
Right now...if I'm the manager, I take that 4th starter spot and give it to whoever out of Buehrle and Garcia performs better in their last 2 starts.

That makes me incredibly sad to say considering how much I love Mark pitch too.  Damn Mark...stop tipping your f***ing change up!

I'd love to see a 94 minute MB playoff gem, but I think it's obvious that he's tipping his pitches and lacks confidense. Damn Mark...stop tipping your f***ing change up!

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
He is pitching at that caliber right now. The Angels used a young gun in KRod to be the closer in the playoffs in HIS rookie year. I say, why not?

Big BIG difference needing 3 outs, vs starting a game. Also I think you are forgetting that Rodriquez did NOT close in the 2002 playoffs, and Percival did as Percy registered 7 saves to K-Rods zero. So now we have gone from comparing set up men to game two starters...

Put Brandon in the pen as a reliever. So far he hasn't looked bad coming out of the pen, and you get can get him some valuable learning experience for the future, but you don't take a care with