#3 hitter

VAfan

Let's face it, AJ and Rowand aren't the answer in the #3 hole. And Everett, despite two singles last night, is probably better suited hitting 5th.

My suggestion is to move Iguchi to 3rd.

The lineup could be:

Podsednik

Rowand

Iguchi

Konerko

Everett

Dye

Pierzynski

Crede

Uribe

And if Ozzie wanted to blow out the cylinders (see the original Flight of the Phoenix) for a game, he could go with this lefty dominated lineup.

Podsednik LF

Harris 2B

Gload 1B

Everett DH

Borchard RF

Pierzynski C

Perez CF

Uribe SS

Blum 3B

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
Let's face it, AJ and Rowand aren't the answer in the #3 hole.  And Everett, despite two singles last night, is probably better suited hitting 5th. 

The lineup could be:

Podsednik

Rowand

Iguchi

Konerko

Everett

Dye

Pierzynski

Crede

Uribe

And if Ozzie wanted to blow out the cylinders (see the original Flight of the Phoenix) for a game, he could go with this lefty dominated lineup.

Podsednik LF

Harris 2B

Gload 1B

Everett DH

Borchard RF

Pierzynski C

Perez CF

Uribe SS

Blum 3B

The second lineup really scares me, but I'd have no problems with the first option.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
Let's face it, AJ and Rowand aren't the answer in the #3 hole.  And Everett, despite two singles last night, is probably better suited hitting 5th. 

The lineup could be:

Podsednik

Rowand

Iguchi

Konerko

Everett

Dye

Pierzynski

Crede

Uribe

Podsednik LF

Harris 2B

Gload 1B

Everett DH

Borchard RF

Pierzynski C

Perez CF

Uribe SS

Blum 3B

You did see Aarons two double plays, and what would have been a 3rd if their were less than two outs yesterday right? And you did see the pop up he hit when he tried to bunt the day before right?

Rowand is definately a bottom of the order hitter. He doesn't have the fundementals to be a #2 hitter.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
You did see Aarons two double plays, and what would have been a 3rd if their were less than two outs yesterday right?  And you did see the pop up he hit when he tried to bunt the day before right?

Rowand is definately a bottom of the order hitter.  He doesn't have the fundementals to be a #2 hitter.

The problem is that outside of the two guys that are already there, no one on our team is well suited for the #2 hole, and we don't have any #3 hole type hitters either. This means that our options are basically to hit Rowand #3, which doesn't really work, hit AJ #3, which doesn't really work, hit Dye #3, which we haven't tried and might work, or move Iguchi down to 3, which could conceivably work. I think the real answer is Dye, but I wouldn't complain if we tried it for a few games next year (a little late to tinker with the order this year, especially when the games mean so much). Hopefully we'll make a move or two to help the issue a bit though.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
The problem is that outside of the two guys that are already there, no one on our team is well suited for the #2 hole, and we don't have any #3 hole type hitters either. This means that our options are basically to hit Rowand #3, which doesn't really work, hit AJ #3, which doesn't really work, hit Dye #3, which we haven't tried and might work, or move Iguchi down to 3, which could conceivably work. I think the real answer is Dye, but I wouldn't complain if we tried it for a few games next year (a little late to tinker with the order this year, especially when the games mean so much). Hopefully we'll make a move or two to help the issue a bit though.

I've been a big advocate of moving Dye to third since Frank has been out. His second half numbers have been good. I'd like to see him hit with PK behind him.

QUOTE(shakes @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
I've been a big advocate of moving Dye to third since Frank has been out. His second half numbers have been good. I'd like to see him hit with PK behind him.

With the thinking being what?...he'll see some good pitches?!? He's had good pitches to hit and hasn't done crap with them. If...and it's a remote "if" if the Sox blow this....I'll still point to his two ABs in critical situations with RISP that he didn't come through and cost the Sox 2 wins this past week.

Let's be honest...at this point the way everybody's swinging the bat...does it make much difference who bats 3rd anymore...it's almost a futile effort.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
You did see Aarons two double plays, and what would have been a 3rd if their were less than two outs yesterday right?  And you did see the pop up he hit when he tried to bunt the day before right?

Rowand is definately a bottom of the order hitter.  He doesn't have the fundementals to be a #2 hitter.

Yes, I did see it and I thought Ozzie should have pinch hit for him. But Rowand responded in the #2 hole with his best season last year, and I think putting him second and giving him a defined hitting role will actually focus his hitting.

That having been said, I could also see Dye hitting 3rd, leaving Iguchi where he is. In fact, I think that is probably the better option. We need to compress the best hitters we have together to give us the best chance to score when they come around.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
Yes, I did see it and I thought Ozzie should have pinch hit for him.  But Rowand responded in the #2 hole with his best season last year, and I think putting him second and giving him a defined hitting role will actually focus his hitting.

That having been said, I could also see Dye hitting 3rd, leaving Iguchi where he is.  In fact, I think that is probably the better option.  We need to compress the best hitters we have together to give us the best chance to score when they come around.

Rowand's not the same as he was last year. I'm not sure if it's his stance, but he's nowhere close to generating the bat speed and power he had last season.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
half the home runs he hit last year.  :banghead

.272 BA versus .310 BA.

We've got plenty of home runs in this lineup right now as it stands. We need people who get hits...people who are obnoxious outs, people who drive the ball.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
With the thinking being what?...he'll see some good pitches?!?  He's had good pitches to hit and hasn't done crap with them.  If...and it's a remote "if" if the Sox blow this....I'll still point to his two ABs in critical situations with RISP that he didn't come through and cost the Sox 2 wins this past week.

Let's be honest...at this point the way everybody's swinging the bat...does it make much difference who bats 3rd anymore...it's almost a futile effort.

The thought being when he gets hot he hits like a #3 hitter and can carry a team. When he's not hot, he's still as good an option as anyone.

I was just as furious at those two at bats as anyone, but I think it happens to most of our hitters more than it does to JD.

Rowand and Everett in the spot have been useless.

I do agree that we don't have a great option. It's a major hole.