Um, a bit confused.......

TheBigHurt

I've been hearing people saying today if we win, we clincha playoff spot, which I understand, but if the Sox win today and so do the tribe the Sox at 3 games ahead with 3 games left, so wouldn't the Division not be decided today? Forgive my ignorance.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
I've been hearing people saying today if we win, we clincha  playoff spot, which I understand, but if the Sox win today and so do the tribe the Sox at 3 games ahead with 3 games left, so wouldn't the Division not be decided today? Forgive my ignorance.

Sox have beaten the Indians in head to head competition. Even if the Indians sweep the sox, they will only be tied if the Sox win today.

If the Sox win today they will clinch a share in the division, however, they will also be considered the division champs because of the two reasons. 1. If Cleveland ties the Sox record, meaning they win out and the Sox get swept, both teams will have 96 wins. Boston can only have 95 wins if they win out. Therefore, Cleveland will make the playoffs as well as the wild card team. No Central Division 1 game playoff will be played because both are in. 2. If this is the case, the Sox will be declared Central champs because they have a winning record against the Indians.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 08:55 AM)
Wait a second, so if we win today, we win the division?

Why is this sooooooo confusing?

:banghead  :D

It doesn't help matters that ESPN radio (Mike and Mike) this morning were reporting that a division win would only come with a win/loss combo today. We are in a weird situation in all of the AL kind of...except for those dang Angels. Stupid West Coast making it look simple.

QUOTE(heavyduty @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
My fault, I meant if the Sox ended up with 96 too.

Easy Boston wins the ALE, Sox and Indians tie for the ALC and Wild Card, Sox get the division by virtue of their head to head record, Indians get the Wild Card, Yankees go home at 93-69 completely out of the playoffs.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
Easy Boston wins the ALE, Sox and Indians tie for the ALC and Wild Card, Sox get the division by virtue of their head to head record, Indians get the Wild Card, Yankees go home at 93-69 completely out of the playoffs.

The only way we can end up in a playoff game is if we lose out, Boston goes 3-1 and NYY goes 2-2. Which could happen. Then we would have to play the loser of their playoff game for the wild card...

but lets be honest thats not gonna happen...this will all be over in about 5 hours! :headbang

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
What is the point of the 1 game playoff if the Sox and Indians finish with the same record.  Everything I am seeing is that if we both finish with the same record we win because of the head to head numbers.  Why did mlb have a coin toss to decide that there would be a playoff game held at Cleveland if the Sox and Indians tie.

The playoff would have only been played if Boston and NYY finished with better or the exact same records as us. Basically there is no reason to hold playin games if there is no one to eliminate.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
What is the point of the 1 game playoff if the Sox and Indians finish with the same record.  Everything I am seeing is that if we both finish with the same record we win because of the head to head numbers.  Why did mlb have a coin toss to decide that there would be a playoff game held at Cleveland if the Sox and Indians tie.

The playoff coin flip was for a game if one team was only going to go to the playoffs, and the other was going home. If both teams are in the playoffs, and only positioning is to be deterimined, then they use the head to head record. You are mixing up two different scenarios.

If we win today, and we better, then only 3 teams can get to 96 wins, and all of them would be in. No playoff would be necessary.

If 3 teams make it to 96 wins, we would win the AL Central by virtue of a tiebreaker, Cleveland would be the WC winner, and either Boston or NYY would win the AL East.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)
That makes sence.  I am so damn confused over all of this playoff crap.  Lets just win out and finish with 99 wins. :headbang

Well, we do that and we're handing Boston/NY the Wild Card. Guess the question is...do we want Cleveland or Boston to be in the playoffs, and do we want to face the Angels in round 1 or do we want to face the AL East wild card?

Eh, who cares right now...in 4 hours the only thing I care about will hopefully be sorted out.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 08:34 AM)
If we win today, and we better, then only 3 teams can get to 96 wins, and all of them would be in.  No playoff would be necessary. 

If 3 teams make it to 96 wins, we would win the AL Central by virtue of a tiebreaker, Cleveland would be the WC winner, and either Boston or NYY would win the AL East.

Here's a question...if all 3 teams wind up with 96 wins, the Sox would clearly have home field advantage in the ALDS...what happens with home field in the ALCS? Best record head-to-head?