Ozzie's choice to pinch hit Konerko

VAfan

Does anyone think Ozzie intentionally used Konerko in the 13th knowing he'd likely be intentionally walked so that he could get Ross Gload up that inning with two men on?

If he did, he's a sly dog. But it makes me wonder. If Ozzie had confidence in Gload in that situation after Gload looked pretty bad earlier in the evening on some ABs, why hasn't he shown Gload any confidence in other situations where he could have used him?

The whole situation was rather puzzling, but I'm glad it worked!

QUOTE(black jack @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 04:06 AM)
They showed Ozzie in the dugout cursing when Paulie was walked.

He was pissed it happened.

Yes, I saw that. Which makes me think Ozzie isn't that savvy as a game manager. He had to know they would walk Konerko to face a guy that struck out 3 times and was hitting under .200. Konerko is probably the only hitter in our lineup that any opposing manager fears at all.

I hope Gload gets another chance tomorrow, at DH if necessary. If I were Ozzie, I would play all the guys who are on the roster bubble the next two days, and think about taking the ones that perform.

To me, the last spot comes down to Gload v. Blum, and I would take Gload.

Yes, I saw that.  Which makes me think Ozzie isn't that savvy as a game manager.  He had to know they would walk Konerko to face a guy that struck out 3 times and was hitting under .200.  Konerko is probably the only hitter in our lineup that any opposing manager fears at all. 

I hope Gload gets another chance tomorrow, at DH if necessary.  If I were Ozzie, I would play all the guys who are on the roster bubble the next two days, and think about taking the ones that perform. 

To me, the last spot comes down to Gload v. Blum, and I would take Gload.

Let me look at my crystal ball like you do.

Nope. Ross Gload is not on the 25 man playoff roster.

What a great idea ... take the guys who perform the best in the last two (meaningless) games of the season.

Are you Gload's cousin or something?

QUOTE(JimH @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 08:26 AM)
Let me look at my crystal ball like you do.

Nope.  Ross Gload is not on the 25 man playoff roster.

What a great idea ... take the guys who perform the best in the last two (meaningless) games of the season.

Are you Gload's cousin or something?

Cleveland doesn't consider these games meaningless.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
Blum is more defensively flexible than Gload.

Gload's a little better hitter than Blum.

With the emphasis this team puts on defense, I have to go with Blum. He gives Ozzie more options to make changes.

With Blum being able to field in almost every infield position, he's always going to get the benefit of the doubt over Ross Gload, to the horror of many here.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
Unless Gload goes about 10 for his next 10 its going to be Blum.  I'd prefer Gload, but it ain't going to happen.

I'm sure its going to be Blum too, but I don't know why. As I posted elsewhere, if you kept Gload, Blum would be 3rd or 4th choice at every position he plays. And since he can't pinch hit, he doesn't have any real value. We got him when we were worried about Crede's back. That didn't turn into an issue.

Unfortunately, Ozzie didn't really play Gload enough to let him repeat his .321 average from last year. He was tearing up AAA, but he never got a chance up here.