Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 11:49 PM)
I never said Gonzaga is so awesome, I love how you put words into my mouth. I've only said I think they deserve more credit than you give them.

If you ever defend a team that's being bashed, you think they are awesome. Duh! Get with the program!

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
I never said Gonzaga is so awesome, I love how you put words into my mouth. I've only said I think they deserve more credit than you give them.

Based on their survival victories over teams with below .500 records in a bad conference. Your logic is flawed, but I suppose we will find out who is right.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 10:53 PM)
Based on their survival victories over teams with below .500 records in a bad conference.  Your logic is flawed, but I suppose we will find out who is right.

lol my logic is flawed huh, I guess I just suck at NCAA basketball knowledge and predictions, even though I entered in 3 pools last year, won my work one, and finished 2nd in my school one. I'm just a terrible homer for Gonzaga and I'm too afraid to admit that they suck. Come on now, we both know Gonzaga shouldn't be ranked 4th, but we both know that they're good enough to be in the tournament and should win their first game, and depending on who they play in the 2nd one, that one possibly aswell. And I've told you already I don't think they'll make it past the Sweet 16.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
Defense is key and Iowa and Illiniois defend as good as any team in the country.  I think Iowa goes out real quick or they stick around for a while.  Illinois will be there. They are battle tested and play exceptional defense.  They also have good athletes.

OSU relies on that outside shot and they haven't exactly been running away with things.  They go down in the sweet 16.  Depending on the draw, but I think they will.

Damn, pass the Illinois kool-aid :cheers

This illinois team is all over the map, like i've said all year. They have the potential to reach the final four. They also have the potential to lose in the 2nd round. A lot of it depends on Dee's shooting...but foul trouble, and whether pruitt/randle/mcbride contribute is a huge one. On all 5 cylinders, we are damn good. One one cylinder, we'll lose in the 2nd round. Let's just hope the senior leadership comes through and they get some help from at least one of the other three starters each game.

See Indiana in 2002.....

Everything depends on matchups, how a team plays on a particular day and a little luck.

Indiana pounded Utah in the first round, then seemingly got a break having to face UNC-Wilmington in the 2nd (although I am not so sure USC was that good).

Then they beat Duke, the # 1 seed and then got another break by getting Kent State in the Elite 8 after they had beaten OK St, Alabama and Pitt.

They beat Oklahoma pretty good in the Final Four before finally losing to Maryland.

As a 5th seed, only the blindest IU fan thought they had a chance to do what they did. So there is always a chance to survive and often times, that chance depends on what others in your own bracket do as well.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 11:47 PM)
See Indiana in 2002.....

Everything depends on matchups, how a team plays on a particular day and a little luck. 

Indiana pounded Utah in the first round, then seemingly got a break having to face UNC-Wilmington in the 2nd (although I am not so sure USC was that good).

Then they beat Duke, the # 1 seed and then got another break by getting Kent State in the Elite 8 after they had beaten OK St, Alabama and Pitt. 

They beat Oklahoma pretty good in the Final Four before finally losing to Maryland. 

As a 5th seed, only the blindest IU fan thought they had a chance to do what they did.  So there is always a chance to survive and often times, that chance depends on what others in your own bracket do as well.

So true, so true...good points. It only takes 4 W's to get to a final four, that's not many. Anything can (and has) happen. This tournament should be awesome because of how "down" college basketball is this year.

QUOTE(orangekrush88 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
Chicago State going for it's first trip to the dance ever tonight, this team started off 1-14 and here they are one win away from the play-in game, hopefully they can pull it off against Oral Roberts.

Craig Hodges in not their coach i sher??

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 05:42 PM)
congrats also to Brandon Rush for rookie of the year, 1st team all big 12 and bill self, coach of the year.

Where do you think he'll rank in NCOY? I gotta think behind Hobbs, Pearl and Williams, at least.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
Where do you think he'll rank in NCOY? I gotta think behind Hobbs, Pearl and Williams, at least.

I have no idea where the media has it. Roy boy should get it for beating DUke.

i think him and Pearl are tied for 2nd.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 06:56 PM)
I heard Mike Montgomery wants in at IU

Who knows, it's going to be interesting.

Alford really wants it but I am hoping they actually do a national search for a coach.

QUOTE(MUsoxfan @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 11:40 PM)
Congrats are in order for Marquette's Dominic James

Big East Rookie of the Year

McNeal, along with James, was named to the All-Rookie teams.

This team gets ONE big man who can do some damage down low, and Marquette will be in good shape. I haven't seen enough games to declare whether or not guys like Amoroso and Barro can do the job, but they're in good shape up-front.