Dome or no Dome

WinningUgly85

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
Houston didn't care enough during the season.  Houston's basic rule was if no rain and under 80 degree's, play with roof open.  If over 80 or rain or some type of inclement weather, play with it closed.

They went against this rule in the playoff's for the noise advantage.

Past Practice boys...

Open that roof!

:D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 12:07 AM)
Well seeing that our series with the Astros is at minute maid now what do you guys think should they play with the dome or not.  Seeing that the Astros have a better record with it, but we have the better record in away games.  What do you think about MLB's decision not to allow them to have it.  Astros feel that the MLB never cared to make a decision during the course of the season so why now.

Sorry don't know how to create polls.

Great!!! Another reason for the consipiracy theorists to claim that the White Sox (if they win it all) had it made. Between the calls they have gotten their way and now the home team not being able to retract their roof....UGH! I can hear HR and Kruk and Patrick and McCarver and Buck and so on and so on, now.

ESPN.com chat:

Mike (Chicago)

Don't you think the Astros lose a mental edge when they openly complain about the roof situation?  I understand where they are coming from, but don't you think that letting your opponents hear that you think whether or not the roof is closed is that important shows signs of weakness?

GARY GILLETTE

Great question, Mike. I think the whole roof thing is a bunch of crap. Let's try turning this around for a minute...

GARY GILLETTE

If someone said  that they NEEDED the roof closed to do their best in the World Series, what would you think?

GARY GILLETTE

That they were either FOS or that they didn't care enough to give their all unless they had enough decibels of noise in their favor? Complete malarkey

Edited by Balta1701

More:

Jon(NY)

What do you think about Selig saying that he wants the roof open in Houston tonight?  This should not be his decision to make!!!  I think it is completely unfair to the Astros.  So what if it's loud with the roof closed, that's part of the home field advantage!!!!  Nobody told the Sox they had to do anything special when they were at home for games 1 and 2, so why is Selig sticking his nose where it does not belong?

GARY GILLETTE

So, Jon, if the White Sox decided to give themselves a huge advantage by some cheap-ass trick, you'd be in favor of that?

GARY GILLETTE

If the Astros thought it would help them win to keep the roof open if it was 48 degrees and sleeting, you'd be OK with that, right?

Paul (NYC)

As for the roof, I think the Astros do have an advantage when it's closed - the Sox defense would have a tougher time communicating with each other if it gets loud. It's not an issue of the result of a closed roof pumping up the Astros, but rather it being a detriment to the Sox.

GARY GILLETTE

Maybe, but it still shouldn't be a factor in the WORLD SERIES, for god's sake. Frankly, it shouldn't have been a factor in the LCS or the Divsiion Series, either, but not so much was riding on the decision then.

The Astros should have their choice. Every team has always tailored their field to their style game. Hard and fast, soft and slow, walls in or walls out depending on the team. Baseball is not played on a regulation field, court, or rink like football, basketball, and hockey. Baseball fields have their quirky dimensions, angles, and domes. I'm more concerned about Rowand handling the flagpole and hill that are in play in center field. If y'all haven't seen the park, that's a weird feature. Those Crawford Street boxes are so close that I think Uribe could run down a warning track fly ball. Plenty of differences, the dome is just one.

MLB allowed this stadium to be built, and they should allow the stadium to be set up anyway the Astros desire.

I wish they would have a simple rule on this. If game time temperatures are between 57 degrees and 76 degrees and there is no rain, the roof must be open, whether in the regular season or playoffs.

Without such a rule, I'm not sure how MLB can order them to do this. It seems like they should have it the way they want it.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
I wish they would have a simple rule on this.  If game time temperatures are between 57 degrees and 76 degrees and there is no rain, the roof must be open, whether in the regular season or playoffs.

Without such a rule, I'm not sure how MLB can order them to do this.  It seems like they should have it the way they want it.

:D You wanna playa in my World Series you gotta follow my rulez...

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
And they take all the tickets to prove it...Tommy Lasorda was sitting right next to the Sox dugout for Game 1

Among others, Elway was in 128, 12th or 13th row. I saw him twice getting beer, and he bought several shirts. Jason said he was in California also.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Steff, you might want to pick that up...that name you dropped?

:P

Pfftt.. that's nothing. Jason saw him also so he's no big deal. We had some bigguns sittin' just to the left of us. When the time is right... ;)

It SHOULD be the Astros call. They built the stadium, they play in the stadium. BUT, and that's a BIG BUT, I agree with Black Betsy...baseball is meant to be played outdoors when the weather is nice.

One more thing: The White Sox play 9 or 10 games a year at the Rollerdome. Which, so I've heard, can get pretty loud. Especially when they are handing us our taints, which has happened in the past. I can't imagine the Sox are going to be intimidated by some noise.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
MLB allowed this stadium to be built, and they should allow the stadium to be set up anyway the Astros desire.

If MLB gets to determine if games get cancelled during the fall, they have every right to determine whether or not a roof should be open.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
I think it was mentioned before that MLB made the choice in a previous WS?

If so, no reason to change that now.

And has it been decided whether it will be open or closed?

If you ask MLB, yes. The Astros, no. :lol:

During the regular season, the Astros pick their environment. But during the postseason, the commissioner's office makes that call.

Jimmie Lee Solomon, executive vice president of baseball operations in the commissioner's office, was to decide Tuesday, when the forecast called for clear skies with a temperature in the low 60s.

"If it's a nice day and no chance of precipitation and it's not overly hot and humid, yeah, we'll open the roof," Solomon said from his office in New York.

That didn't sit well with the Astros.

From Yahoosports.com

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
If MLB gets to determine if games get canceled during the fall, they have every right to determine whether or not a roof should be open.

I don't see the connection. I could see that as justification to close the roof, not to require it open. For example, if a rain out would allow their top starter to play the next day, and the team insisted on the roof open, I could see mlb jumping in and requesting it be closed. I can't see them ordering it open.

If the roof jammed closed, would they cancel the game? The Astros were allowed to build this park with the funky dimensions and a retractable roof. Teams are allowed to change their parks dimensions by installing temporary walls and shortening the field. The Astros have a hill and flagpole in play in center field. If mlb allows all that on a local level, why should they then step in a require the roof be closed? With the roof closed they are assured perfect "weather" for the game.

Plus, I don't want to give nay sayers any more ammo.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
I don't see the connection. I could see that as justification to close the roof, not to require it open. For example, if a rain out would allow their top starter to play the next day, and the team insisted on the roof open, I could see mlb jumping in and requesting it be closed. I can't see them ordering it open.

If the roof jammed closed, would they cancel the game? The Astros were allowed to build this park with the funky dimensions and a retractable roof. Teams are allowed to change their parks dimensions by installing temporary walls and shortening the field. The Astros have a hill and flagpole in play in center field. If mlb allows all that on a local level, why should they then step in a require the roof be closed? With the roof closed they are assured perfect "weather" for the game.

Plus, I don't want to give nay sayers any more ammo.

You can't remove Tal's Hill. You can't move back the short porch in left. You CAN open the roof.

Is it an unfair advantage that the Sox DON'T have a retractable roof?

And screw the naysayers. If you can't win in your own park because of a roof, then you are relying on the wrong things.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(chisox72 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
There are standards, according to an article I just read, if the temperature is less than 80 degrees and its clear out, then the roof has to be opened.  They just haven't stuck to that all season.  Now that its the playoffs, Uncle Bud's office gets to step in and make them stick to it.  I am also sure that aerial footage also has something to do with it.  Either way, its MLB's decision, let em whine.

On another note, Roy Oswalt demonstrated his stupidity amidst the whining about this stuff in saying that "We had to play in their home field advantage, cold, windy, and rainy.  They have been playing in that stuff all year, we haven't."

Well, Roy, in case you didn't remember during your many trips to the mound across town, this summer was dry as a f***in' bone, hotter than the blazes of hell until after game 2 of the ALDS, and there really wasn't any wind to speak of.  Those conditions were miserable this weekend, and aside from the noise, presented neither team with any distinct advantage.  Nice try though.  Keep crying.

:finger  :gosox1:

you can put it on the board, YYYESSSS!! :cheers