85 Bears vs 05 Sox

HineyBird

Hell, I wasn't even born during Da Bears SB season, so I can't speak to that question.

But, I promise you if Ozzie Guillen brings a World Championship to the city of Chicago, he is immediately cast into the upper-stratosphere of Chicago sports legends. He'll find himself amongst the likes of Michael Jordan, Mike Ditka, Walter Payton, etc. in no time.

The city will forever love him for it, much like our adoration of Mike Ditka.

Hell, I wasn't even born during Da Bears SB season, so I can't speak to that question.

But, I promise you if Ozzie Guillen brings a World Championship to the city of Chicago, he is immediately cast into the upper-stratosphere of Chicago sports legends.  He'll find himself amongst the likes of Michael Jordan, Mike Ditka, Walter Payton, etc. in no time.

The city will forever love him for it, much like our adoration of Mike Ditka.

that is my thought

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
This is a White Sox message board.........

What's wrong with asking that question??

Anyway....

City wide excitement, I'd say the 85 Bears hands down.

Personally, It is definitely the 2005 White Sox. This team had to work so hard to prove people wrong. Everyone except for the team and the fans doubted them and they just kept winning. There has been so many crazy emotional rollercoaster games in the season, playoffs and this world series...It has been unbelievable.

But this will always be a Bears town....over the Sox, Bulls, Hawks and the Cubs.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
Because he asked which is more exciting. He didnt say for the town, he just said more exciting. This is a White Sox message board, I would think the results would be a bit different if you asked Chicagobears.com

Ahh...I'm sorry...I thought you mean like he shouldn't ask that question here and I was like :huh

My bad!!

I personally am more excited now, but I was 5 when the Bears won so there you go. I think in overall excitement throughout the city, it's gotta be the Bears since they're everyone's team. But, the Bears just completely destroyed everyone and the Sox games are 100x more exciting and heart attack inducing.

From all the video and talk about the 85 bears it seemed like they were a shoe in to win the whole thing kind of like the bulls and thier six titles. But no one expected anything out of the sox this year which in my opinion makes this the best of em all

I don't live in Chicago now, but it's hard for me to imagine topping the excitement in '85 when the Bears won the Superbowl. They were dominating the entire year and people's expectations shot up sky high because of it. They also had a lot of characters that always were in the news -- Ditka, McMahon, the Fridge, etc. But most importantly, it was the first major championship for Chicago in a long time. I think the last one before '85 was I think the Bears in the 60s. (Maybe the Hawks had a championship? I dunno, I don't follow hockey.)

Chicago has been somewhat spoiled with good memories of the Bears' Superbowl as well as all of the Bulls' championships. Back then, the city was really hungry for a winner.

The thing about the SB... it wasn't played here. It was great, although I was only 12 I remember my dad and grampa dragging me to all the games, but not actually being at the game kinda took the wind out of the sails. Still great.. but nothing, NOTHING like this..

QUOTE(KansasSoxFan @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
Chicago has been somewhat spoiled with good memories of the Bears' Superbowl as well as all of the Bulls' championships.  Back then, the city was really hungry for a winner.

No, the city has been sad as s*** with the memories of the Bear Superbowl victory. We still revel in the glory of that thing, but you never hear about the Bulls anymore really. But the '85 Bears, good lord, every year, the week of the anniversary you get dolts like "Mongo" (friggin' idiot) being rolled out at special events. :headshake

The 1985 Bears had a much bigger following basically because there is only 1 NFL team in Chicago, almost everyone in Chicago was rooting for the Bears. By nature of having 2 MLB teams in Chicago, the city is half as excited for the Sox. Also, the 1985 Bears were a very exciting team, with all the sacks, interceptions, Payton, McMahon, the team was full of interesting characters. The hit Wilber Marshall put on Joe Fegurson was one of the most vicious hits I've ever seen....I thought Fergurson was dead!

good question!

i definitely have to say this years Chicago White Sox. the reasons are quite simple. first of all, even the diehard fans have been all over pop-up PK, get rid of crede for joe randa, jose contreras getting booed AGAIN and rumored in every trade possibility, damaso marte X'd, uribe & everett suck they swing at everything and have no clue or patience, gooch is too tired, hermy a questionable closer, arow is not a 3hole hitter, pods is not clutch & his injury now means 0 steals, jermaine dye is dead. every day it was something new & unwarranted criticism. not to mention the way the media handles this team as the second team in the second city? THE WAY THIS TEAM HAS BONDED TOGETHER LIKE FAMILY AND DEALT WITH ALL THE ADVERSITY IS CHAMPION ENOUGH. Not to mention that our Sox team is a diversified mix of nations & languages but each and every guy has charisma is humble & respects the game, fans and has heartfelt warmth for each other.

the 85 bears were not as invincible as people thought. the miami dolphins exposed a huge weekness but it never again was tested in the playoffs. the giants & rams were running teams that we ezily crushed backward. it was exciting as all hell to see Walter get a SB ring, but to end the game with him not getting the TD call over the Fridge will forever be the saddest moment of my life and the last memory i have of that year. i still dont forgive ditka for that. the look on his face was flat out heartbreaking!

Edited by whitesoxmanager

85 Bears - hands down...

I was 16 in 1985 and remember it well. For a few years there, in the mid to late 80s, the city would come to a stand still when the Bears played, kinda like what happens in Brazil during the World Cup.

The 85 Bears were the greatest - a national phenomenon. The parade was just insane - the entire Lopp was up for grabs.

I'd put the 05 Sox ahead of all 6 Bulls titles combined. But then again, I'm not much of a basketball fan.

But the 85 Bears, nothing will top that...

QUOTE(easyw @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
I'd put the 05 Sox ahead of all 6 Bulls titles combined. But then again, I'm not much of a basketball fan.

Personally I'd agree with you but then again I'm a basketball fan but an absolutely monstrous baseball fan. But I think Jordan winning his first title and building his team into a dynasty was a huge national story.

The Bears electrified the city and suburbs more. From Antioch to Kankakee. There was never a doubt about just how good the Bears were. So there was a lot more chest thumping.

I just told Kap that last night was the moment I knew the Sox were there. From the first inning I never worried, I *knew* they were going to win last night. I never doubted and posted No worries y'all a dozen times.