Manny wants a trade again....to the ChiSOx

wilmot825

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
So Kenny Williams overpays for Konerko simply to make a statement to a few "dumb baseball fans" who might think poorly of the organization if they let him go?

You have to make the right move and forget about statements and pleasing "dumb baseball fans" if you are not only a smart general manager, but a smart organization.

Sadly, that is part of the whole PK Quandry. There are possible huge public relations consequences if PK goes elsewhere. There's more to a player than just how many homers or rbi they contribute. PK has become the common fans favorite Sox player in the last few months.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
Sadly, that is part of the whole PK Quandry.  There are possible huge public relations consequences if PK goes elsewhere.  There's more to a player than just how many homers or rbi they contribute.  PK has become the common fans favorite Sox player in the last few months.

...and what Pedro Martinez wasn't extremely popular in Boston? I think the Red Sox situation last year, and the Konerko situation this year is quite similar.

People move on, people forget, and if the true baseball fans such as you and I can live with the fact that Kenny Williams stood strong and made the right move, I think that in itself is a more important statement.

Sadly, that is part of the whole PK Quandry.  There are possible huge public relations consequences if PK goes elsewhere.  There's more to a player than just how many homers or rbi they contribute.  PK has become the common fans favorite Sox player in the last few months.

This is why Kenny and Reinsdorf are in a hole. The average fan doesn't care about stats, they care about their fan favorites.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
...and what Pedro Martinez wasn't extremely popular in Boston?  I think the Red Sox situation last year, and the Konerko situation this year is quite similar.

People move on, people forget, and if the true baseball fans such as you and I can live with the fact that Kenny Williams stood strong and made the right move, I think that in itself is a more important statement.

...but Konerko never said the Twins were his Daddy...

:D

...and what Pedro Martinez wasn't extremely popular in Boston?  I think the Red Sox situation last year, and the Konerko situation this year is quite similar.

Bad example. Not resigning Pedro and signing Clement was an awful move by Boston. ;)

I see your point though.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)

Pedro had worn out his welcome with many in the Red Sox organization. The exact opposite is true with PK. Konerko has never been more popular in Chicago than he is today. Please, please, please stop comparing everything with the White Sox to the Red Sox. It's a complete different fan base, and completely different mindsets. Stick to talking about the Red Sox fan base, and we'll keep discussing the White Sox fan base.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
Pedro had worn out his welcome with many in the Red Sox organization.  The exact opposite is true with PK.  Konerko has never been more popular in Chicago than he is today.  Please, please, please stop comparing everything with the White Sox to the Red Sox.  It's a complete different fan base, and completely different mindsets.  Stick to talking about the Red Sox fan base, and we'll keep discussing the White Sox fan base.

give me one reason why making a statement is more important than putting a winning product on the field. I think your mindset is extremely off and please, please, please stick to the topic.

If* we resign Konerko, buy out Frank, and let go of Everett, and trade for Manny with Boston eating a good portion of his contract, imagine this lineup:

LF Pods

2B Iguchi

DH Ramirez

1B Konerko

RF Dye

CF Rowand

C Pierzinski

3B Crede

SS Uribe

That'd have to be up there with the top 3-4-5 punches in the majors, if not being the very best. We'd be unstoppable. I don't care if Manny gets a little crazy sometimes, you just don't pass on a .300/45+/100+ guy.

*Of course, it's a pretty big "if" that those things will happen, even if we can somehow afford for them to happen in the first place.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan13 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
If* we resign Konerko, buy out Frank, and let go of Everett, and trade for Manny with Boston eating a good portion of his contract, imagine this lineup:

LF Pods

2B Iguchi

DH Ramirez

1B Konerko

RF Dye

CF Rowand

C Pierzinski

3B Crede

SS Uribe

That'd have to be up there with the top 3-4-5 punches in the majors, if not being the very best. We'd be unstoppable. I don't care if Manny gets a little crazy sometimes, you just don't pass on a .300/45+/100+ guy.

*Of course, it's a pretty big "if" that those things will happen, even if we can somehow afford for them to happen in the first place.

the pipe dream of manny would most certainly come at the cost of Kong

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
give me one reason why making a statement is more important than putting a winning product on the field.  I think your mindset is extremely off and please, please, please stick to the topic.

By making a statement of signing PK to a deal, you should the fans you're not just content with winning one World Series. Rather, it shows them you want to maintain the team's talent level, and won't just rest on your previous season's accomplishments. Don't forget this....JR took a lot of s*** for breaking up the Bulls dynasty. Even though that's a different situation we're talking about, I don't think he wants any questions about letting the core of his WS team leave. I know you're a young fella who hasn't lived in Chicago all your life. Maybe you should just trust what some people who have lived quite a while longer than you have and in Chicago all their life talk to you about the White Sox fan base mentality.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
Manny runs like a 35 year old catcher if you factor in his laziness.  He turns doubles into singles because of his lack of hustle and posing for balls that he thinks are homeruns.  He is obviously a better hitter than Konerko though.  I agree with fathom.  I just think that to the White Sox, bringing back the face of the franchise is more important than adding a guy like Manny. Plus, it would be cheaper to resign Paulie than it would cost in players to trade and added salary for Manny.

Which is why you offer the package I quoted earlier in the thread.

Rowand, Marte, Duque. --

Rowand can easily be replaced, both offensively and defensively, by Brian Anderson.

Marte is as good as gone anyway, why not use him to get Manny?. Cotts proved we don't need him.

Duque is a league average pitcher, who can throw from the pen(where boston needs help) or the backend of the rotation.

Those are three players who essentially are easily replacable from the White Sox perspective. You're not losing anything. Except Salary. Oh, and it's a nice chunk of change too. Rowand $3.25, Marte 2.25, and Duque 4.5+. -- $10M is a lot.

If Boston doesn't want to got for it. Fine, but those three are the first 3 players to go from the current team. They are the most easily replaceable. Use them to fill your weakness (LHed bat, DH, and 1b?) through some other team.

give me one reason why making a statement is more important than putting a winning product on the field.  I think your mindset is extremely off and please, please, please stick to the topic.

Signing Paulie would be about winning. He may not be the hitter that Manny is but he's still a really good hitter. If you haven't noticed, Kenny has been all about the team chemistry this season and losing Konerko for Manny would be the complete opposite of that philosophy.

No team in baseball will trade for Duque to be a starting rotation pitcher. He has serious health questions, and his contract isn't exactly cheap this season. Rowand/Marte/Duque would get you laughed at by Theo. To get Manny, it would more be like Contreras and Chris Young for Manny.

I don't care about the White Sox fan base or the Chicago fan base or however you want to put it. All fan bases are the same, they want to win.

You make the decision that betters the team for both the present and the future, and that is final.

Lets not compare the Bulls to the White Sox either, you know full well it was a completely different situation.

Which is why you offer the package I quoted earlier in the thread.

Rowand, Marte, Duque. --

Rowand can easily be replaced, both offensively and defensively, by Brian Anderson.

Marte is as good as gone anyway, why not use him to get Manny?. Cotts proved we don't need him.

Duque is a league average pitcher, who can throw from the pen(where boston needs help) or the backend of the rotation.

Those are three players who essentially are easily replacable from the White Sox perspective. You're not losing anything. Except Salary. Oh, and it's a nice chunk of change too. Rowand $3.25, Marte 2.25, and Duque 4.5+. -- $10M is a lot.

If Boston doesn't want to got for it. Fine, but those three are the first 3 players to go from the current team. They are the most easily replaceable. Use them to fill your weakness (LHed bat, DH, and 1b?) through some other team.

I don't see Rowand, Marte, and El Duque netting Manny.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
I don't care about the White Sox fan base or the Chicago fan base or however you want to put it.  All fan bases are the same, they want to win.

You make the decision that betters the team for both the present and the future, and that is final.

Lets not compare the Bulls to the White Sox either, you know full well it was a completely different situation.

Red Sox could let Manny, Pedro, and Damon go after last season, and the Red Sox fans would have still shown up. If KW would let PK, Frank, and Garland go after this season, the fan base would be up in arms. The Red Sox have enough money that they can let one superstar go, and just sign another. The White sox have a much better chance of signing a superstar that is within the organization, and not having to outbid other teams on an even playing surface.

And while the Bulls/Sox situation is different, it's still the same owner. Not every fan is like me, you, SSH, or any other diehard who will support their team no matter what transactions they make.

And don't ever same all fan bases are the same. The two Chicago teams are perfect illustrations.