Manny wants a trade again....to the ChiSOx

wilmot825

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
Manny would be added only if Konerko is not resigned.  Therefore Dye would play first as has been indicated, with Podsednik moving to right, and Manny playing in left.

And you'd have the worst defensive outfield in baseball.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
And you'd have the worst defensive outfield in baseball.

Dye is a better outfielder than Ramirez, but if Ramirez replacing Dye makes the outfield the worst in baseball, than last years outfield defensively was one of the worst five in baseball anyways.

Edited by redandwhite

You are probably right though, Garland would most likely have to be involved.

It's a little odd to consider, but how much is Manny overpayed? Everyone here keeps referencing that he's overpayed.  Well okay, he's making 20 million dollars, he's a superior player to Konerko who people are throwing 15+ at.  I would say he's making only 3-5 million more than he's worth.  What do you think?

Well, that really doesn't matter. To the White Sox, he is overpaid. The White Sox will not pay $20 million for one player.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
Dye is a better outfielder than Ramirez, but if Ramirez replacing Dye makes the outfield the worst in baseball, than last years outfield defensively was one of the worst five in baseball anyways.

As SSH just mentioned, Pods in RF would be a disaster. You'd basically have an outfield where two of the guys would be better off as the DH.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
...but are willing to pay $15 million for a player who isn't as good?

I don't want the Sox to pay 15 mil for PK, but there's a lot more that PK brings to the table than just homers and rbi like Manny. Signing PK to a big money contract would be a statement by KW.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
Lester?

manny's not being traded with any prospects. Boston would be smart (read: will) to wait until Konerko and Giles have signed to force the hand of other teams too. They won't even be eating part of his salary. If he's traded it will be for players who can contribute today, or top prospects who are very close.

Well then Manny moves to right.   :huh

Manny in right field would be just as bad. His range is brutal and a ton of balls would fly past him in right. The only way to set up that outfield would be Manny in left field, Podsednik in center field, and Rowand in right field. But that would be bad as well because Podsednik sucks in center field. Any way you set it up, it would be the worst defensive outfield in the majors.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
manny's not being traded with any prospects. Boston would be smart (read: will) to wait until Konerko and Giles have signed to force the hand of other teams too. They won't even be eating part of his salary. If he's traded it will be for players who can contribute today, or top prospects who are very close.

exactly, and it is almost inevitable that that is what they will do. good post.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
Well then Manny moves to right.  :huh

That they're not going to just settle for winning the WS. After letting Ordonez, Carlos, and possibly Frank leave, they'd be bringing back the star of the organization. There's a lot of dumb baseball fans in the city that might think poorly of the organization if they don't bring back PK.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
I think the highest the Sox offer Paulie is $13 million a year.  $20 million a year for a player is a lot more than $13.

$20 million is a lot more than $0 million dollars, you're right. I say this because I can't imagine Konerko signing for $13 million dollars or any less than $15 to be honest.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
I think the highest the Sox offer Paulie is $13 million a year.  $20 million a year for a player is a lot more than $13.

The Konkero Quandry isn't about the $$$. It's about the years.

A Smart team is going to want nothing to do with Konerko at $15+M in 5 years. He's got old players skills in a 29 year old body. He runs like a 35 year old catcher. He doesn't figure to be an effective player in 3 years.

I'd much rather pay $20M/yr to a better player, who is much more likely to be productive throughout the length of his contract than the same amount of money(just over a longer period of time) for a less productive player, who figures to break down before his contract expires.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)

I'd even argue that $20 million a year is too much for any player. $13 million is probably even over-paying for Konerko, but with deferred payments I think it's fair. If he gets more, it's because of the horrendous free agent market this off season. If he's unwilling to take $13 million, then he's not that serious about coming back to the Sox.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
That they're not going to just settle for winning the WS.  After letting Ordonez, Carlos, and possibly Frank leave, they'd be bringing back the star of the organization.  There's a lot of dumb baseball fans in the city that might think poorly of the organization if they don't bring back PK.

So Kenny Williams overpays for Konerko simply to make a statement to a few "dumb baseball fans" who might think poorly of the organization if they let him go?

You have to make the right move and forget about statements and pleasing "dumb baseball fans" if you are not only a smart general manager, but a smart organization.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)

A Smart team is going to want nothing to do with Konerko at $15+M in 5 years. He's got old players skills in a 29 year old body. He runs like a 35 year old catcher. He doesn't figure to be an effective player in 3 years.

I'd much rather pay $20M/yr to a better player, who is much more likely to be productive throughout the length of his contract than the same amount of money(just over a longer period of time) for a less productive player, who figures to break down before his contract expires.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Manny at $20M/yr for three years>Konerko at $15M/yr for five years

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
Manny would be added only if Konerko is not resigned.  Therefore Dye would play first as has been indicated, with Podsednik moving to right, and Manny playing in left.

Pod would move to CF, Rowand to RF and The Butcher in LF.

As an outfielder, Ramirez is a helluva DH.

Manny runs like a 35 year old catcher if you factor in his laziness. He turns doubles into singles because of his lack of hustle and posing for balls that he thinks are homeruns. He is obviously a better hitter than Konerko though. I agree with fathom. I just think that to the White Sox, bringing back the face of the franchise is more important than adding a guy like Manny. Plus, it would be cheaper to resign Paulie than it would cost in players to trade and added salary for Manny.