Baseball Prospectus gives Sox props

chitownsportsfan

I'm not sure If I can do this, but here goes. I'll post portions of some premium content from Baseball Prospectus.

"So it seems that part of the White Sox' success that needs to be emulated by potential copycats is the capacity to remain healthy, which is always a goal, regardless of the "-ism" fueling the roster construction.

Don't misinterpret what's being presented here. This isn't a dig at a team that "shouldn't have won," or some such thing. The White Sox (and Ken Williams) built a winner, and no amount of Pythagorean reshuffling will take that away...

Tip your cap to Herm Schneider, Brian Ball, Allen Thomas and the rest of the training and medical staffs, who haven't gotten much press, but who performed absolutely crucial roles for the championship team. Compared to the rest of the league, the White Sox did an amazing job of protecting the investments they made. That's Smartball."

And another one about Juan Uribe and the rest of the Sox Defense:

"Peralta had the best single-season numbers, but he’s a rookie (well, no, not really; everyone forgets 2003). Cabrera came back from an off-year to post reasonably good numbers, although I’d probably pick Jeter if forced to choose between them. I think Uribe is probably the best fielder of the lot, and that he probably deserves some of the RAA that wound up in Konerko’s column."

Overall, Konerko placed 2nd in their rankings of AL 1B, Uribe came in 4th in the AL SS, Crede, 4th at AL 3B, Pods and Rowand top 5 AL outfielders. AJ, dye, and the Gooch didn't rank, although the Sox took the top team honor.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

No injuries?

Frank was a huge loss, in my opinion.

Pods was obviously slowed down by injuries, as was Duque.

Hermanson had back problems. Crede had back issues.

But I understand what they meant. No team can be 100% healthy. Still, the offense looked like it peaked with Big Hurt...until that beautiful display in the playoffs, that is.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
Hermanson had back problems.  Crede had back issues.

When Hermanson's back really went down, he was like 1-2 saves behind Rivera and his ERA was closing on big Mo's.

Where would the Yankees have been last year if Rivera suddenly couldn't close for the month of September?

We had plenty of injuries. But we overcame them.

Baseball Prospectus, prior to this season:

"The investment in pitching is defensible, but for all that, the rotation is really 2 1/2 pitchers deep: Garcia, Buehrle and El Duque whenever he's healthy. That won't be enough to make up for an offense ill-suited for its home park and likely to struggle to score anywhere else. The new master plan might be a bold stroke, but it's the sort of gamble that will more likely have the Sox keeping the Royals company in the basement than finally getting them back to the top of the standings."

Guess what motherf***ers, you got....

owned%20truck.jpg

Guest $I Need Money$

It's about time those geeks at BP get on their knees and worship the White Sox. My god if we bring back paulie and the big hurt hahahah we got a f***ing dynasty going.

Edited by $I Need Money$

QUOTE($I Need Money$ @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:37 AM)
It's about time those geeks at BP get on their knees and worship the White Sox. My god if we bring back paulie and the big hurt hahahah we got a f***ing dynasty going.

Forget that dynasty talk. This team was built to succeed without Thomas, and none of our key players went down for any extended periods of time. Health wise, we were lucky.

Yea, this team did have injuries, but it had injuries where there was depth, which is a credit to KW. The bullpen had plenty of depth to make up for hermie, and Carl was an adequate stop-gap when big frank went down. The pods injury hurt, but overall I think we were relatively healthy.

As for the BP prediction, I don't think anyone could have predicted a career year out of contreras and Garland, but hey, s*** happens as they say. Incredibly awesome s***.