Advice on going to Hawks game?

FlaCWS

I'm thinking about going to the Black Hawks game Sunday night. It would be my first time to the United Center and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on where to park (does it matter, one lot versus another?) Someone told me it's a bad neighborhood and to get out of there immediately after the game. I've heard the same about the Cell but had a good experience when I went there.

Also, this is probably a dumb question, but will I have a problem walking up to the box office on game day and getting one of the cheap seats? I assume the games don't sell out...

Thanks for any advice!

There are a lot of parking lots right next to the UC, you should have no trouble finding a space to park.

There's almost nothing to do in the area around the UC, so leaving the neighborhood is a given. There's some good bars and restaurants not too far away, but not really walking distance.

You will have NO problem getting a ticket.

My info is a few years old by now, but fwiw

Sunday afternoon games use to get crowded with the sweater and suburb crowd. I have gone there so often I take sideroads leaving and head north to Division(?). by the Pizza Hut.

There is so much security and cops around, I never worried. Just don't stop in Lake Street for a date. ;)

The neighborhood isn't the best, who really wants to live that close to a stadium?

Be prepared to learn some new words. Begin cheering before the anthem starts, and you will have a great time.

There is a street the runs east west, but is one way going west. Its about one block south of the park. There is street parking for free, its just south of the lot. Nobody ever parks on the street because nobody knows you can park there. But it almost entirely empty every time I go to a game, bulls or hawks. I wish I could remember what it was, it might be adams.

You will have no problem getting a ticket or parking, although parking costs too much (everything there costs too much cuz their product sucks), but it's still fun

If you are a student, you can get a ticket on gameday for 8 bucks, seriously as good a bargain as you will find. The arena has good sightlines in my opinion, so following the action is easy, obviously so much better in person

You can sneak beer into the place if it's cold and you wear a big winter coat too, but obviously be careful lol

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
I'm thinking about going to the Black Hawks game Sunday night. It would be my first time to the United Center and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on where to park (does it matter, one lot versus another?) Someone told me it's a bad neighborhood and to get out of there immediately after the game. I've heard the same about the Cell but had a good experience when I went there.

Also, this is probably a dumb question, but will I have a problem walking up to the box office on game day and getting one of the cheap seats? I assume the games don't sell out...

Thanks for any advice!

Want my advice.

Dont waste your money.

Stay home.

Park in one of the Red Top lots, not the actual UC lots. It's a few bucks cheaper, and they are much easier to get out of than the main two UC lots. I've parked in those lots for years with no problems. The one i use is off of madison, a block west of the UC. There are a few Red Top parking lots around the UC, just look for the signs.

If you're a student (even if you aren't and still have an ID and look somewhat young), buy a ticket for 8 bucks like someone said, and then you can probably move down in the 300 level.

Overall, just buy a cheap ticket in the 300 level and move down within that level. I'd also eat before the game somewhere, as the food is pretty crappy and obviously over-priced in the UC.

I'd also get there early and watch warmups, but that's just me.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
Well i prefer to have someone looking over my car during the game, especially around that neighborhood.

So, that old guy sittin on a stool in the front of a lot with now fences is making you feel safe huh?

The street is right next to the lot. Just as safe.

We usually park at Malcom X College. It's really close to the stadium. I went to opening night because my dad got free tickets and I ended up just watching the Sox game. (game 2 of the ALDS) The loudest cheers of the game was during the national anthem and when Jenks got the save, the UC is not a hopping place when the Hawks are playing.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
At least not with the product currently on the ice.  If the Hawks start winning, the fans... and the roar... wil return to Blackhawk hockey.

After 8 full years of rebuilding there still is no reason to believe this organ-i-zation is going anywhere but backwards.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
Just got back from my first Hockey game since when I was in Kindergarten and one of my friends was playing in a youth league.

The sport made a good impression on me tonight, I'll say.

Well, the game is 100% better in person than on TV, that's for sure.

That's always been the way people get hooked on it.

There's just something different about seeing it in person.

Glad you had a good time!