I'm suddenly rooting for the Angels..and

Wanne

The Angels are definately going to be players in the Manny sweepstakes. I don't know if this 3 way deal will work out, but that said the Angels have a couple overpriced guys they could offer for Manny.

Garret Anderson would be the guy I'd do everything I could to give up in a Manny deal. Right now they appear focused on moving Erstad, but I think the Angels have both Erstad, Finley and Garret Anderson as options.

In fact, If I were Anaheim I'd offer Finley, Erstad, and a good prospect or two for Manny. That or I'd offer Anderson and a quality prospect or two for Manny. Boston seems desperate and if the Angels were smart they'd take this as an opportunity to get the best run producer the game has ever seen as well as unload some of the dumb contracts they handed out.

Plus, technically speaking Boston is going to need a CFer and Finley will play better than he did this past year. Erstad is a gritty, solid player so they could fill two holes. Problem is thats a lot of money for them to take on, but in the long run they'd save a lot.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
The Angels are definately going to be players in the Manny sweepstakes.  I don't know if this 3 way deal will work out, but that said the Angels have a couple overpriced guys they could offer for Manny.

Garret Anderson would be the guy I'd do everything I could to give up in a Manny deal.  Right now they appear focused on moving Erstad, but I think the Angels have both Erstad, Finley and Garret Anderson as options.

In fact, If I were Anaheim I'd offer Finley, Erstad, and a good prospect or two for Manny.  That or I'd offer Anderson and a quality prospect or two for Manny.  Boston seems desperate and if the Angels were smart they'd take this as an opportunity to get the best run producer the game has ever seen as well as unload some of the dumb contracts they handed out.

Plus, technically speaking Boston is going to need a CFer and Finley will play better than he did this past year.  Erstad is a gritty, solid player so they could fill two holes.  Problem is thats a lot of money for them to take on, but in the long run they'd save a lot.

The rumor has it being a 3-way...and the names of Glaus and Gonzo I'm sure would be involved. Not sure why the Angels would consider a 3-way when they have plenty to dump themselves. So if you were the Angels and could dump some salary and land Manny instead of giving PK $14M per...what would you rather do?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Whose to say the Angels won't try for both.

True...Arte does like to spend the buckos. But do you really think Paulie would be happy being 3rd fiddle behind Vlad and Manny? I couldn't see PK and Manny coexisting very well on any team for very long.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
True...Arte does like to spend the buckos.  But do you really think Paulie would be happy being 3rd fiddle behind Vlad and Manny? I couldn't see PK and Manny coexisting very well on any team for very long.

He does like to spend money, but he doesn't have that much to spend. HE has roughly $88 million tied up in about 22 guys right now, give or take what people get in arbitration. And that leaves him with no starting catcher and only 4 starting pitchers.

He can afford to go for Konerko or Ramirez, because with either one, their payroll will jump from say $98 million this year to roughly $105-$110 million next year. However, to take on both Ramirez and Konerko would cost $17 million for Manny - whatever they drop in terms of Finley, Anderson, etc, so roughly $12 million, plus another $13 million or so for Konerko, which pushes their salary into the $115-$120 million a year range, and I just can't see Moreno go there yet.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
If the Angels get Manny, then the Red Sox will go for Konerko.  Either way, one of the two teams will overpay him in the FA market.

If the Angels get Manny, the Red Sox will certainly wind up taking on salary...possibly someone along the lines of Finley, Garret Anderson, or Glaus if the Diamondbacks get involved. So they won't necessarily have a ton of money either...if that trade happens, it winds up happening because the DBacks are willing to give up players in exchange for salary flexibility.

I continue to say this...the Red Sox need pitching help. This will hinder them from being a big spender on Konerko. Especially if they wind up holding Glaus.

They also have at least a couple of decent options at 1b, including that Pettagine guy (sp?) who hit at least 1 HR against us after putting up great numbers I believe in Japan.

The Angels should be commended for not raising their ticket prices. With that in mind, you gotta figure it will be hard to add a Manny. I'm rooting for him to go to the Mets just because then he's out of our league which will weaken Boston. You don't get better from trading a superstar in most cases. I like Glaus and everything, but Glaus and Luis Gonzalez do not make Boston a better team or even nearly as good of a team

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
The Angels should be commended for not raising their ticket prices. With that in mind, you gotta figure it will be hard to add a Manny. I'm rooting for him to go to the Mets just  because then he's out of our league which will weaken Boston. You don't get better from trading a superstar in most cases. I like Glaus and everything, but Glaus and Luis Gonzalez do not make Boston a better team or even nearly as good of a team

Boston trading Manny only makes sense if they receive 1 of 2 things back; 1. an additional prospect beyond Glaus and Gonzalez who they can develop, and a good one at that...or 2. Salary flexibility through the dumping of Manny.

Yeah, I'm sure they wouldn't mind having the problem out of the clubhouse, but that alone doesnt' make a trade worth while. They need 1 of those 2 things back...which would mean the Angels would have to be willing to take on virtually Manny's entire contract.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
The Angels are definately going to be players in the Manny sweepstakes.  I don't know if this 3 way deal will work out, but that said the Angels have a couple overpriced guys they could offer for Manny.

Garret Anderson would be the guy I'd do everything I could to give up in a Manny deal.  Right now they appear focused on moving Erstad, but I think the Angels have both Erstad, Finley and Garret Anderson as options.

In fact, If I were Anaheim I'd offer Finley, Erstad, and a good prospect or two for Manny.  That or I'd offer Anderson and a quality prospect or two for Manny.  Boston seems desperate and if the Angels were smart they'd take this as an opportunity to get the best run producer the game has ever seen as well as unload some of the dumb contracts they handed out.

Plus, technically speaking Boston is going to need a CFer and Finley will play better than he did this past year.  Erstad is a gritty, solid player so they could fill two holes.  Problem is thats a lot of money for them to take on, but in the long run they'd save a lot.

Wells makes perfect sense since he has asked to be traded back to thw west coast. I was thinking the padres would get him back ( and still do) but now that this three team deal has come up it makes some sense. I still really doubt the red sox sign konerko anyway. Like i said yesterday, konerko will sign with a team that gives him some sort of no trade clause... once that happens other red sox players no trade clauses would kick in. The red sox would be hurting themselves much more than helping themselves... in the long and short run.

yahoo claims that Erstad would be sent in a deal for Manny (obviously not the main piece). THis would open first abse and send back at least a little salary. Boston, although perhaps no longer a moneyball team (who knows?) would seem to have little to no interest in Erstad. I hope Kenny doesn't make his Erstad wishes come through ebcause we don't need him at first

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
True...Arte does like to spend the buckos.  But do you really think Paulie would be happy being 3rd fiddle behind Vlad and Manny? I couldn't see PK and Manny coexisting very well on any team for very long.

Paulie doesn't seem like the guy that really wants to be the main guy. I mean, even on the SOx he was one of the main guys, but its not like the Sox get that much major pub. Whether he's playing 2nd fiddle to Vladdy or 3rd fiddle to Manny and Vladdy I'm pretty sure if they made an offer that was 5yr 65 mill, he'd be in Anaheim.

Paulie may have an ego, but I don't think him not being the main guy is going to prevent him from going to a place like Anaheim.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
Wells makes perfect sense since he has asked to be traded back to thw west coast. I was thinking the padres would get him back ( and still do) but now that this three team deal has come up it makes some sense. I still really doubt the red sox sign konerko anyway. Like i said yesterday, konerko will sign with a team that gives him some sort of no trade clause... once that happens other red sox players no trade clauses would kick in. The red sox would be hurting themselves much more than helping themselves... in the long and short run.

Ya, Wells was on the radio yesterday and re-iterated how he wants to go to the west coast. This is his final season (he's already said it) and he talked with his wife and children and his kids told them they want daddy to play closer to home.

San Diego is the obvious choice since he was well liked when here. At the same time Anaheim is a great fit as well and they will have a spot open in the rotation. I think it makes so much sense for the Angels. He's a gritty veteran that could replace Byrd or Washburn in the rotation.

Honestly, Anaheim and Boston both need to focus more on their pitching staff than they do there offense. Well Anaheim needs to focus on both, but if Boston is going to go anywhere, they need a couple relievers and a couple starters.