Yankees ask about Rowand

TLAK

Geoff Blum struggled when he was on the Sox during the regular season.  But you're right, he was brought in for versatility on defense as well as secruity in case Crede's back was too bad.  And yes, he'll forever be a Sox legend.  I think people were upset with the acquisition because they had their hopes set on a bigger name at the deadline.

Of course, agree. Everyone wanted a bigger splash, me included. Agree totally here.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfect example.

"Everyone" who loves him because of one home run very frankly doesn't know a whole lot about baseball, but is generally quick to weigh in with their opinion.

Here's what Blum did well:

Good defense.

Gave Ozzie the flexibility to maneuver the line up.

Gave Konerko and Crede a break.

A smart, heady player with experience who did lots of little things right.  Think back to the pop up slide in the one run extra inning game at the Metrodome.

Fit very well in the clubhouse, oh never mind, I guess that didn't count.  :bang

Yeah right ... he sucked.

He was a good fit for what they needed and wanted, he did his job and contributed.  No one, least of all me, claimed he'd be a superstar.  Nor am I defending him now, just lending what I believe is a little more balanced viewpoint on this site, amidst a sea of knee jerk overreactors.

The slide was nice but he still hit only .200 for us. I will never forget Blum because of his huge homer in Game 3 but he was far from a great acquisition at the deadline. If you remember, Ozuna was getting a lot better defensively at third base the more he played there and he actually hit.

Of course, agree.  Everyone wanted a bigger splash, me included.  Agree totally here.

Okay, I agree with you here. ;)

Edited by SSH2005

he still hit only .200 for us.

Very true, and he hit into that 1-2-3 double play in Detroit in the last series up there.

But as I recall, people were on Ozzie's ass big time for that maneuver, saying there was no way he should've had Blum hit in that situation.

My point is, I take issue with the all-or-nothing labeling that goes on at this site.

I actually get quite a kick out of the flip-flopping that takes place. It is not easy for me to come on here and defend a Bruce Levine or some of these players (and manager and GM) who get torched here, just because I firmly believe there is a lot more to all these situations than meets the eye ... and they are things that we as fans are simply not privy to. None of us.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 07:49 PM)
Very true, and he hit into that 1-2-3 double play in Detroit in the last series up there.

But as I recall, people were on Ozzie's ass big time for that maneuver, saying there was no way he should've had Blum hit in that situation.

My point is, I take issue with the all-or-nothing labeling that goes on at this site.

I actually get quite a kick out of the flip-flopping that takes place.  It is not easy for me to come on here and defend a Bruce Levine or some of these players (and manager and GM) who get torched here, just because I firmly believe there is a lot more to all these situations than meets the eye ... and they are things that we as fans are simply not privy to.  None of us.

Hey Jim, where's TQ been?

Long time no see with him; I would have at least expected some guest appearances when our freaking team won the World Series! :lol:

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 07:49 PM)

I actually get quite a kick out of the flip-flopping that takes place.  It is not easy for me to come on here and defend a Bruce Levine or some of these players (and manager and GM) who get torched here, just because I firmly believe there is a lot more to all these situations than meets the eye ... and they are things that we as fans are simply not privy to.  None of us.

I agree. It makes for a good laugh at work when you need one. Levineline doesn't lie. He reports as much as he can find out. I'm sure the agents and GM's don't inform him of everything and he attempts to put it together

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 01:57 AM)
I agree. It makes for a good laugh at work when you need one. Levineline doesn't lie. He reports as much as he can find out. I'm sure the agents and GM's don't inform him of everything and he attempts to put it together

I think some people just take everything that someone like Levine says as GOSPEL! Every time there's another rumor by a reporter, there's a 15 page thread about where the person will play (or "where would he play?"). I guess it makes for fun conversation as long as you don't take it too seriously.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)
I think some people just take everything that someone like Levine says as GOSPEL!  Every time there's another rumor by a reporter, there's a 15 page thread about where the person will play (or "where would he play?").  I guess it makes for fun conversation as long as you don't take it too seriously.

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!! Exactly. And it is fun to try to guess next year's lineup or staff. It is what gets us through the off season.

Hey Jim, where's TQ been?

Long time no see with him;  I would have at least expected some guest appearances when our freaking team won the World Series! :lol:

I haven't seen or talked to him either. I called 4-5 times and left messages but did not hear back, so :huh

We did have one instant message chat last week, he said he'd check in here time to time for hot stove info, but now that the Sox won, no more anger or bitterness and he doesn't have the inclination or time to come on here and argue with people 1/2 his age and experience level.

I believe he's burned out on baseball but that's just me speculating. Can't speak for him, nor do I want to, and none of us has the time/inclination to read people's minds. Frankly it doesn't matter, if he resurfaces he resurfaces, if not, so be it.

I know he thinks highly of you, so maybe drop him a message directly.

Here's the way I remember the Alex Cora thing. Word leaked out about Cora's upcoming signing with Cleveland. Yet, it was reported in the media as a done deal. Levine then reported it on the day the signing actually occured.

You can look and find media links that will "prove" me wrong. But as I said, the signing was prematurely reported.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 11:27 PM)
Here's the way I remember the Alex Cora thing.  Word leaked out about Cora's upcoming signing with Cleveland.  Yet, it was reported in the media as a done deal.  Levine then reported it on the day the signing actually occured. 

You can look and find media links that will "prove" me wrong. But as I said, the signing was prematurely reported.

It was on rotoworld and espn before he announced it. But to be honest with you i could care less about bruce levine and i don't have a way to prove it was. He is definitely not where i look for information since i rarely listen to the radio.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 11:31 PM)
It was on rotoworld and espn before he announced it. But to be honest with you i could care less about bruce levine and i don't have a way to prove it was. He is definitely not where i look for information since i rarely listen to the radio.

It was on those sources prematurely. That's what I'm saying.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
I recall it as a fact, not speculation that it was near completion. Either way it's not a very big deal.

That's true, but Levine catches a lot of flack around here because of that incident. Seems a bit unfair to me.

QUOTE(SouthSide2004 @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 01:50 AM)
Here are the facts regarding Levine.  He is a pretty good reporter, but he is a huge asshole who hates the White Sox.  I don't think people only rip him because of his reports.  He's just not a good person.

I'm sure a lot of the ripping he receives around here is well deserved. Just not in this case.

Here are the facts regarding Levine.  He is a pretty good reporter, but he is a huge asshole who hates the White Sox.  I don't think people only rip him because of his reports.  He's just not a good person.

No, that's your OPINION that he's a huge asshole who hates the White Sox. And he's not a good person? :lol:

Have you met him? I have, several times. I think you've been led astray by things you've seen posted on message boards.

QUOTE(SouthSide2004 @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 01:50 AM)

I've met him and he is a pretty good guy. He is a cub fan and doesn't care for the sox as a fan. This does not make him a bad guy. However, on the radio he does get defensive when hosts question him about info and opinions.

I remember on one show before the season started he predicted that Garland would lead all chicago starters cubs and sox in wins. The hosts laughed at him and made fun of him. We now know he was right.

I think he takes offense to people who aren't digging for the info disregarding what he finds. Again, it does not make him a bad guy.

I dont really care much for him but I find it funny when they say his name on the radio.... its BRUUUUUUUCE Levine... :P

If you dont believe until it happens no bad feelings.... I take what he says with little hope. A course Id say that would be awesome in some cases but I dont expect it to happen until it happens.