Sox say no to manny

RockRaines

I wonder if this has any effect on the demand and suitors for Kong

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. -- The Boston Red Sox might not find many takers for Manny Ramirez, even though the slugger hit 45 homers and had 144 RBI last season.

Manny Ramirez

Left Field

Boston Red Sox

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

GM HR RBI R OBP AVG

152 45 144 112 .388 .292

The Chicago White Sox?

Not interested.

"He's not that kind of guy," Ken Williams, general manager of the World Series champions, said Thursday. "We have a certain kind of chemistry."

Point made. Boston will not be dealing Ramirez to Chicago.

Ramirez asked Boston to explore trade options because he's uncomfortable living there.

How about Philadelphia?

New Phillies GM Pat Gillick said there's no room for the 33-year-old Ramirez in his outfield, which has Bobby Abreu in right and Pat Burrell in left.

"Our corners are pretty good," Gillick said. "In high school he played center, but I don't think he can play center anymore."

Last July, the Red Sox and New York Mets held trade talks about Ramirez, and both sides agreed they didn't get very far. The Los Angeles Angels, who want a power hitter, could be a match. Perhaps Ramirez would want to return to the Cleveland Indians, his former team.

Ramirez is owed $57 million during the next three years and has the right to block trades, so the Red Sox and his agent pledged to work together.

General managers completed the formal part of their meetings Thursday, delaying until their December meeting in Dallas a decision on whether to move back the amateur draft until late June.

Jimmie Lee Solomon, executive vice president for baseball operations in the commissioner's office, said commissioner Bud Selig was asked during Wednesday's sessions whether he expected any change in the designated hitter rule, which is used in the American League but not in the National.

"He said for the foreseeable future we'll be doing the same thing we have been doing," Solomon said.

During the week, GMs bandied about big names for possible deals, including Ramirez, Florida first baseman Carlos Delgado, Texas second baseman Alfonso Soriano and Tampa Bay closer Danys Baez. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said teams always are interested in right-hander Chien-Ming Wang and second baseman Robinson Cano, rookies who performed well last season with low salaries.

"That's what November, December and January are for, exploration of the possibilities of big ideas, big trades, transformations of rosters," Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said.

Starting Friday, 183 free agents will be able to negotiate contracts with all teams. The final seven eligible players filed Thursday night, including Houston's seven-time Cy Young Award winner, Roger Clemens.

The market could go up significantly for relief pitchers, who appear to be coveted. While closers such as Billy Wagner and B.J. Ryan figure to get big money, there's likely to be a trickle-down to setup men such as left-hander Scott Eyre and right-hander Bobby Howry.

"Everybody needs pitching. There's not a lot of pitchers out there," Gillick said. "So supply and demand."

Because of the relative lack of depth in the free-agent market, many teams are exploring trades first.

"People are being very aggressive and getting right to the point as to what they are willing to do and what they're not willing to do," Williams said.

While the Yankees are seeking a center fielder and setup men, their immediate goal is to re-sign left fielder Hideki Matsui, whose contract says he must be put on unconditional release waivers if he doesn't agree to a new deal by Tuesday.

"We've got to the 15th to try to get something done," Cashman said. "In the meantime, I'm gathering all the information about what the available players on the trade market and the free-agent market are. We'll prioritize those. In the event on Nov. 16 we don't have Hideki Matsui, it will be another avenue to pursue."

Mets general manager Omar Minaya said he planned to be aggressive and probably would start making offers to free agents Friday. He said it is likely New York won't trade Mike Cameron.

"If I had to guess right now, I see him as my right fielder," he said.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
The Chicago White Sox?

Not interested.

"He's not that kind of guy," Ken Williams, general manager of the World Series champions, said Thursday. "We have a certain kind of chemistry."

Point made. Boston will not be dealing Ramirez to Chicago.

I love KW. He pretty much just said, "Manny is selfish and lazy". Which he is. Good call.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 06:03 PM)
If the angels go after Manny they wont go after Kong IMO.

i would love to see that proposed three-team deal go down. that would definitely lighten the market for paulie.

If selfish and lazy gets you 45 homers and 140 rbi, I'd take it anyday. Manny is not the cancer people think he is. KW may not want him, but it is only because of the amount he would have to pay for him and to him. Believe me, the entire American League is praying he gets shipped to the NL. He is nowhere near the cancer people make him out to be. He owns as many WS rings as anyone on the White Sox roster.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
If selfish and lazy gets you 45 homers and 140 rbi, I'd take it anyday. Manny is not the cancer people think he is. KW may not want him, but it is only because of the amount he would have to pay for him and to him. Believe me, the entire American League is praying he gets shipped to the NL. He is nowhere near the cancer people make him out to be. He owns as many WS rings as anyone on the White Sox roster.

Yes, but anyone on the sox roster has as many rings as Manny has, and Ozzie has one more.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)

I think it's funny how he's thought to be a cancer but his teammates love him and the Boston fans seem to bow down to him.. weird.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
I think it's funny how he's thought to be a cancer but his teammates love him and the Boston fans seem to bow down to him.. weird.

I said nothing of cancer - I don't know they guy.

But I did absolutely say selfish and lazy, because of what I can see with my own eyes. He's lazy in that he doesn't run out plays hitting or in the outfield, and he's selfish in that he constantly complains, as if he has it tougher than everyone else.

Given the strength of Ozzie's clubhouse, I see no reason to bring in someone like that.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
I said nothing of cancer - I don't know they guy.

But I did absolutely say selfish and lazy, because of what I can see with my own eyes.  He's lazy in that he doesn't run out plays hitting or in the outfield, and he's selfish in that he constantly complains, as if he has it tougher than everyone else.

Given the strength of Ozzie's clubhouse, I see no reason to bring in someone like that.

Like she said, for all the bad that is perceived about the guy, he obviously doesn't run balls out, and takes lazy and bad routes to balls in the field ( if you watch closely you will find out most major leaguers don't run balls out all that hard, including many White Sox) he is loved by teammates and fans of the teams he plays on. I truly believe if the talent KW had to give to get him and the amount of money they had to pay him weren't so high, he would be salivating over this guy.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
Like she said, for all the bad that is perceived about the guy, he obviously doesn't run balls out, and takes lazy and bad routes to balls in the field ( if you watch closely you will find out most major leaguers don't run balls out all that hard, including many White Sox) he is loved by teammates and fans of the teams he plays on.  I truly believe if the talent KW had to give to get him and the amount of money they had to pay him weren't so high, he would be salivating over this guy.

That would certainly be your prerogative. I personally would not. I think the money can be much better spent elsewhere.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
It sucks to pass by on a player as good as him but sometimes its better not to have a guy like him...That sounds a little weird. Anyway, oh well.

Not weird, unfortunate for both team and player in question. The Eagles are going through a spat with Terrell Owens. Different reasons, same principle.

Edited by Drew