Brian Anderson

tonyho7476

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
What is the outlook for him?  What kind of scouting reports are out there?  How many tools does he have?  I know we saw him this year, but I don't really know what to expect from him.

What are the thoughts on trading ARow and starting this guy in Center?

i dont have numbers, but i surely do not think that replacing Arow with anderson is a good idea.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
What is the outlook for him?  What kind of scouting reports are out there?  How many tools does he have?  I know we saw him this year, but I don't really know what to expect from him.

What are the thoughts on trading ARow and starting this guy in Center?

if he is a good defensive CF'er then I would do it. AROW was not very good offensively this year, but defensively, when it counted, he was superb.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
It has been said Anderson has a better arm and more range in CF.  And should hit for more avg and with more pop.

Exactly the kind of stuff I want to know. Thanks.

is there a good site to get scouting reports on players?

Edited by tonyho7476

Offensively:

20-30 HR power (I think it will be more on the low end than the high)

.260-.300 AVG (I think in the beginning it may not even be .260, but I do believe he'll turn into a .280ish hitter)

100 Plus strikeouts (early on we may see 130 or so)

Defensively

Strong, Accurate Arm

Great Range

Fluid Runner

Baserunning

Good speed (He'd be the 2nd fastest everyday player in the lineup this side of Pods)

Could turn into a 15-20 stolen base guy

The guy is a very good all around athlete and I'd say he has the ability to turn himself into a Torri Hunter type player. He doesn't have the pretty swing or the best eye, therefor I have a hard time seeing him ever turn into a great hitter. That said he has all the tools to be a plus defensive outfielder and should be a good hitter (a solid hitter with some pop).

However, all that said, I don't think he's ready for a starting position and I would prefer to see him playing everyday in Charlotte for another few months. If he were to break camp with the Sox I'd like to see him play in a super sub role, ocassionally DH'ing, but giving Aaron, Scotty and Jermaine each time off (which should get him maybe 3 starts a week, possibly 4 considering how Ozzie likes giving guys rest). This should give him plenty of at bats to the point where he will be able to learn and make adjustments and be ready for a starting job in 2007 and if someone were to go down, he'd be ready to fill in this upcoming season.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 06:14 PM)
Offensively:

20-30 HR power (I think it will be more on the low end than the high)

.260-.300 AVG (I think in the beginning it may not even be .260, but I do believe he'll turn into a .280ish hitter)

100 Plus strikeouts (early on we may see 130 or so)

Defensively

Strong, Accurate Arm

Great Range

Fluid Runner

Baserunning

Good speed (He'd be the 2nd fastest everyday player in the lineup this side of Pods)

Could turn into a 15-20 stolen base guy

The guy is a very good all around athlete and I'd say he has the ability to turn himself into a Torri Hunter type player.  He doesn't have the pretty swing or the best eye, therefor I have a hard time seeing him ever turn into a great hitter.  That said he has all the tools to be a plus defensive outfielder and should be a good hitter (a solid hitter with some pop).

However, all that said, I don't think he's ready for a starting position and I would prefer to see him playing everyday in Charlotte for another few months.  If he were to break camp with the Sox I'd like to see him play in a super sub role, ocassionally DH'ing, but giving Aaron, Scotty and Jermaine each time off (which should get him maybe 3 starts a week, possibly 4 considering how Ozzie likes giving guys rest).  This should give him plenty of at bats to the point where he will be able to learn and make adjustments and be ready for a starting job in 2007 and if someone were to go down, he'd be ready to fill in this upcoming season.

I saw him play a few games this year and I completely agree with this assessment. One thing about his hitting - he had trouble with low and away breaking balls (who doesn't at this stage of their development). And he didn't show any inclination to shorten up his swing with 2 strikes. He impressed me as being supremely confident and did not want to give up the chance to 'park one' with 2 strikes. I thought he showed a very quick bat though. I don't think he is far off.

Edited by ottawa_sox

QUOTE(SoxPhan7 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
I love arow, but it seems like now his stock is at its alltime high. I dont know what we should get for him but I would love to see Brian in center next year. I just like the cut of his jib.

I don't know about his stock being at an alltime high...defensively yes, but in terms of offense, this was a very bad year for Aaron, and there are quite a few here who think that he will never put up 2004-type numbers again.

If he were to come out and put up 2004 type numbers at the plate, along with his defense, next year, then yes, he would have his stock at an alltime high.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
I saw him play a few games this year and I completely agree with this assessment.  One thing about his hitting - he had trouble with low and away breaking balls (who doesn't at this stage of their development).  And he didn't show any inclination to shorten up his swing with 2 strikes.  He impressed me as being supremely confident and did not want to give up the chance to 'park one' with 2 strikes.  I thought he showed a very quick bat though.  I don't think he is far off.

That sounds like an exact description of how people were beating Uribe and Crede most of last season. Rowand somewhat also. Is that something you see in a lot of organizations, or might our guys just be learning from a bad teacher somewhere along the line?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
It has been said Anderson has a better arm and more range in CF.  And should hit for more avg and with more pop.

You hit it on the head. He does have more range and a better arm. He doesn't need to play real deep like Aaron does.

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
You hit it on the head. He does have more range and a better arm. He doesn't need to play real deep like Aaron does.

Aaron is still the better defensive outfielder though. Why you ask, because he also has very good range, but he also gets awesome jumps (which is the most important thing for a CFer).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
Aaron is still the better defensive outfielder though.  Why you ask, because he also has very good range, but he also gets awesome jumps (which is the most important thing for a CFer).

He gets awesome jumps, is beacuse he plays so deep. So it looks like its amazing , but he plays one of if not the deepest CF around. You miss to mention on how many balls land in front of him that should be routine outs ( Drove Ozzie nuts with all those flares that landed in front of him ). I say if they gave Aaron a chance to play, they sure as damn well give Anderson the same chance. In my eyes, I see Anderson as a better CF than Aaron in the long run, both defensively and on offense.

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
That sounds like an exact description of how people were beating Uribe and Crede most of last season.  Rowand somewhat also.  Is that something you see in a lot of organizations, or might our guys just be learning from a bad teacher somewhere along the line?

It's not easy protecting all 4 corners of the plate. If the hitter is up there hoping to drive something, he does not want offspeed on the outer edge at the knees. I think it is extremely common for young hitteres to be reluctant to give in and shorten up with 2 strikes. Especially if they have had nothing but success at driving the ball in their short careers. Anderson was pull crazy when I saw him and he hit everything hard. At the major league level he will have to better recognize pitches away and go with them. I don't in any way think this is a problem unique to the Sox.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
Does anyone here know what the Yankees offered for Aaron Rowand? What exactly did we turn down?

I don't think there was an offer...just a Yankees inquiry. The problem is, what do they have that we want?

Maybe we can trade him for A-ROD?

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
I don't think there was an offer...just a Yankees inquiry.  The problem is, what do they have that we want?

Maybe we can trade him for A-ROD?

Very true. Maybe a sign and trade of left-handed power hitter Matsui.

I am guessing they would just offer minor league prospects for him.

A lot of teams are putting less emphasis on offense in center (unless they leadoff like Pierre or Damon) than in a while. I think teams like Boston and NY and a few others are really looking for defense in center over all else. I think you could get a pretty good value in return for Rowand and it wouild open up a spot for a top guy who is probably ready to make the jump to the bigs

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 09:59 PM)
If Rowand is playing too deep in CF that's the fault of Ozzie and the coaching staff (Harold, specifically, iirc).  They should position the outfielders where they want them to play.

Most centerfielders play too deep. Think about the number of hits going over a centerfielder's head ... very few. Think up how many land 5-10 feet in front of them .. quite a few.

QUOTE(indyman @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
Most centerfielders play too deep.  Think about the number of hits going over a centerfielder's head ... very few.  Think up how many land 5-10 feet in front of them .. quite a few.

The really good ones play somewhat shallow though. Hunter plays a pretty shallow CF, and if I remember correctly, A Jones, and B Williams at their prime played VERY shallow.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
The really good ones play somewhat shallow though.  Hunter plays a pretty shallow CF, and if I remember correctly, A Jones, and B Williams at their prime played VERY shallow.

So what is your point? If your point is that there are very few really good defensive center fielders out there then I would agree. There aren't. So what is your point here?

YASNY is also correct in stating that the coaching staff is also at fault for playing Rowand so deep. They could bring him in at anytime. So if Ozzie looks disappointed, maybe it is not at Rowand, but at the fact that a little blooper fell in for a hit and not a hard hit ball. If it happens consistently it can be very frustrating.