Bill Mueller To Sox?

Pasqua's Mailman

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could the Sox be considering Mueller as a first base alternative if Konerko doesn't return? It's a relatively easy transition. They bring in Thome and Mueller can play first and spell Crede at third when his back is bothering him. Thome can still play first occasionally. This gives Ozzie the flexibility that he loves and the Sox have a lefty power bat and the .300 hitter they have been looking for. Just a thought.

Edited by shakes

QUOTE(shakes @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)
Could the Sox be considering Mueller as a first base alternative if Konerko doesn't return? It's a relatively easy transition. They bring in Thome and Mueller can play first and spell Crede at third when his back is bothering him. Thome can still play first occasionally. This gives Ozzie the flexibility that he loves and the Sox have a lefty power bat and the .300 hitter they have been looking for. Just a thought.

It's an interesting proposal, a pretty novel idea.

You are correct, it is a very easy and logical transition, moving from 3B to 1B, but, just not the direction I could see this team heading in 2006. Ideally, you would love to see some power numbers from the corner-infield positions and that is just something you would not have with Mueller, despite his hitting for average.

Nice idea, but, I don't know if that's something that could really happen. Now, that said, I wouldn't be suprised if Mueller is brought here as THE sub off the bench, spelling both Crede and someone else in the IF. I just don't think he is the starting 1B answer.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
It's an interesting proposal, a pretty novel idea.

You are correct, it is a very easy and logical transition, moving from 3B to 1B, but, just not the direction I could see this team heading in 2006.  Ideally, you would love to see some power numbers from the corner-infield positions and that is just something you would not have with Mueller, despite his hitting for average.

Nice idea, but, I don't know if that's something that could really happen.  Now, that said, I wouldn't be suprised if Mueller is brought here as THE sub off the bench, spelling both Crede and someone else in the IF.  I just don't think he is the starting 1B answer.

I hope this isn't the answer as I would also like to see more production out of 1b. I would also like us to bring him in as a super sub. He would just be a more expensive Blum(also much better). He only made 2.5m last year and outside of the Twins I haven't heard too many other teams interested. I just wonder if he is willing to except that role.

QUOTE(shakes @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)

I wouldn't think so anymore since Thome is on the team.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_3271616

MUELLER TIME? While Sabean said 90 percent of his time and effort is going into fixing the pitching staff, there are indications the Giants are discussing a major change at third base.

The club reportedly has offered Pedro Feliz in trade talks, perhaps with the thought of clearing the position for Bill Mueller. The former Giant is a free agent being pursued by the Twins, White Sox and others.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 09:40 PM)
Does anyone know if he is good defensivley? I thought he was pretty decent but i wasn't sure.

His power hitting is his best attribute. I'm sure he plays some 3b and 1b, and remember seeing him in LF also. As a back-up 3b, he's a great fit for a team who lacked righty power off the bench.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
We have Borchard off the bench for that.  :D  I'd rather have Mueller's OBP.

Remember, Borchard's days are numbered. Can't he become a FA? Also, I don't think for a second that Mueller will actually turn down the chance to start.

Remember, Borchard's days are numbered.  Can't he become a FA?  Also, I don't think for a second that Mueller will actually turn down the chance to start.

I think he's ours for one more season if we keep him on the 25-man roster. I agree with you on Mueller but maybe the reason the Sox are so interested in him is because Crede is going to miss some time due to his back problems. :o

Edited by SSH2005

But Feliz can play 1b/SS/3b and Corner OF..That is the only reason I suggest him..

Ozuna can back up SS/3B/corner OF and Thome can back up 1B already. Mueller can play 3B, 2B, and probably 1B. And Mueller is much better defensively at 3B than Feliz. I'd rather have Mueller at 3B full-time than Feliz if Crede were to miss extended time on the DL.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(timotime @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
if we are picking up mueller as anything but a backup i will be royally pissed. and i would feel pretty edamn slighted if i was joe crede

I think if he comes in it will be a backup. What ESPN Radio was saying yesterday was that the Sox were trying to convince Mueller that he would get at least 400abs, he would back up 3b, 2b and I think I heard 1b (I assume that means we'd see very little of Thome at 1b if he signs).

So basically if he does sign he would fully understand his role, and I wouldn't mind seeing it, espically with Crede's back.