Frank Thomas

daa84

Honestly I don't see this as changing anything on the Frank front... Realisticly he's not going to be able to do much next season anyway... The best thing he could of hoped for was a mid season, all star break return...

The most he's going to get is a minor league deal from us regardless... Honestly I think the Sox should sit down with him... Tell him that they will sign him to a contract and put him on the DL... Let him rehab in the organization... Just as like an insurance policy... and should the situation arrive where when he was ready to return their wasn't a spot for him... Then we would agree to either trade him or allow him to become a free agent... I think that would be a win win for both parties... Since no one will pony up anything till they are sure he's healthy...

Frank will get offers for the same reason Philly got offers for Thome and for the same reason that the Indians signed Juan Gonzalez last year - potentially large reward, limited financial risk.

The Twins, A's, teams like that would be crazy not to invest $2-$3 million in putting Frank in their uniform.

Exactly.

His second fracture was probably related to his first fracture because it wasn't fully healed. That one required surgery. If his second fracture doesn't require surgery, his foot may heal in time for ST. Bone injuries are much better than ligament/tendon injuries, simply because scar tissue goes into elastic tissue. Bone replaces bone in bone injuries and bone breaks actually cause the bone to be stronger than before. He may not have a spectacular year early on, but I have a feeling that when he's back, he will be great. Just like he was for the short period of time this year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 11:22 PM)
If no one signs Frank, I'm sure the Sox would give him a minor leaguer offer and see if he gets healthy.  I just don't see the big man ever doing that.

I just don't see why people just expect him to be heatlhy.  I did see some positive news in an article today (about him playing golf) but I've heard a lot of bad things about the long term prognosis of his injury and how likely his chances of ever being the same are.

I don't think its a gimme that he'll ever play the game and be healthy, in fact I think its far-fetched to feel that way.  I do hope he can get healthy and get on a roll.  Frank is an awesome player and is the greatest player to ever play for the Sox.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
Thome is NOT better defensively than Konerko at first.

Thank you...I was just getting ready to say this. Paulie is one of the most underrated defensive 1B in the league. You seem to forget some of the plays this dude has made all year long...not to mention the 3 or 4 HUGE scoops in one game from erratic throws in the ALDS against Boston.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
Imo there is maybe a .1% chance of that happening.  His days are done in Chicago.

Just like RJ was gonna be in a Sox uni? :D

All things equal I'd much rather have Paulie at first. He's gotten so much better.

QUOTE(Beauty35thStreet @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
His second fracture was probably related to his first fracture because it wasn't fully healed.  That one required surgery.  If his second fracture doesn't require surgery, his foot may heal in time for ST.  Bone injuries are much better than ligament/tendon injuries, simply because scar tissue goes into elastic tissue.  Bone replaces bone in bone injuries and bone breaks actually cause the bone to be stronger than before.  He may not have a spectacular year early on, but I have a feeling that when he's back, he will be great.  Just like he was for the short period of time this year.

Welcome aboard. :)

QUOTE(rangercal @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
at this point  IMO

Frank contract with incentives  > 14 m Konerko

yeah. unfortunately you forget to think before you speak. thome is not going to play 1b. there is no reason to have a guy throwing who can get injured in that action when he can hit 50 and drive in 120 for you if he stays healthy. (holy s***, think about those not too far fetchd numbers!)

Now, Frank is not a 1B anymore either, and we're not going to have two HOF DH's on one team, bc Thome is the starter, and Frank needs to play everyday to be effective and to pay him the 2-3 mill he will want.

Frank is gone, God bless him. Let's worry about Paulie. Bring Frank back as a bench coach in 2 years after he spends a year with the Orioles (guessing)