JIM THOME FOR 7.2 MIL/YEAR??

Steve9347

QUOTE(BDavisFutureHOF @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 01:54 AM)
Its not really the loss of AROW that irks me -- its the loss of, arguably, 2 of our most talented minor league pitching prospects.

That being said, I don't really think that Anderson can, or will, live up to AROW's production -- offensivly or defensively.

Mind you -- I'm not a huge officianado of our minor league syster.

if your not a big afficanado of our farm system how to you get irked about losing 2 prospects?

dude, take a drink and chill man.... your questioning the best GM from the best team in baseball.... gah

I've said it before I'll say it again.

How many of these ELITE prospects ever become ANYTHING in the majors? We lost two pitchers...not TWO future STAR starters...two pitchers who have prooven absolutly NOTHING.

NOTHING.

Anderson > Rowand (whos diminshed power numbers frightened me a bit, even though I loved Rowand)

Thome >>>>>>>>>> Everett (nothing more needs to be said)

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:14 PM)
I've said it before I'll say it again.

How many of these ELITE prospects ever become ANYTHING in the majors?  We lost two pitchers...not TWO future STAR starters...two pitchers who have prooven absolutly NOTHING.

NOTHING.

Anderson > Rowand (whos diminshed power numbers frightened me a bit, even though I loved Rowand)

Thome >>>>>>>>>> Everett (nothing more needs to be said)

You know, I agree with you on most of that...but let's just note 1 thing.

How many of these ELITE prospects ever become ANYTHING in the majors?

Anderson > Rowand

"Hey, remember when you asked me what the definition of irony was and I said AIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!"

Prospects are just that: Prospects. Gio and Haigwood might be good pitchers one day (key word here is "might"). Remember, Scott Ruffcorn, Danny Wright, Jim Parque, Matt Guerrier, and a whole bunch of other major league flops were once highly thought of prospects. I realize that there is the chance that you can be trading future stars here, but who the hell knows. Give me a proven commodity.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
You know, I agree with you on most of that...but let's just note 1 thing.

"Hey, remember when you asked me what the definition of irony was and I said AIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!"

There's a lot of hypocracy being spewed around here as of late.

QUOTE(IndplsSoxFan @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 09:39 PM)
What it all comes down to is that you've gotta strike while the irons hot.  The window of opportunity can close fast (ask the Cubs).  This is the big power lefty that we wanted last year.  The old saying is that prospects are just that...prospects.

Wow.

I'm hip deep in cliche's after reading that.

Thanks, I guess.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 07:17 AM)
Wow.

I'm hip deep in cliche's after reading that.

Thanks, I guess.

laughing my f***ing ass off.... which can also be summed up by abrivation as: LMFAO

in the context of this conversation what you just read could also be seen as an example of a litterary divice otherwise known as, IRONY

As my good friend Danny Mac says: Prospect = Suspect.

For every Jeff Bagwell for Larry Andersen there are the trades that help both teams. Can't really think of any...because we only really remember the bad ones. This one gives both teams a little of what they need.

But i digress. Remember back to last year when Kenny addressed every need we had. He is back at it again adding the lefty bat. He has a plan my friends. I believe in Kenny Williams and really think this is a good trade for various reasons:

1. We have a plethora of OFers and can afford to lose some to get what we need. It is much easier to replace ARow than say Garland or Contreras. (Which we might still lose one anyways)

2. As stated earlier....Prospect = Suspect and you have to give up good players to get good players.

3. This makes our team better, given a healthy Thome, and it actually increases our chances of bringing back Paulie in my opinion. He gets some protection in the lineup. Think of what this offense did with a healthy Thomas. Thome can do that plus.

we trade our winning formula of defense/speed for a masher who, once baseball started testing for steriods, got injured.  thome went from looking like robin ventura to looking like mcgwire.  i think he's a steriod freak.

Where are people getting this bulls*** that Thome got smaller? Check out some videos of him from this past season:

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/NASAp...layer_id=123272

He's still a huge, pudgy dude just like Konerko. He's the same damn size. :rolly Where are people coming up with this crap? :huh: :banghead

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 06:15 AM)
Where are people getting this bulls*** that Thome got smaller?  Check out some videos of him from this past season:

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/NASAp...layer_id=123272

He's still a huge, pudgy dude just like Konerko.  He's the same damn size.  :rolly  Where are people coming up with this crap?  :huh:  :banghead

i didn't say thome got smaller. heck, barry bonds didn't get smaller. my point is the fact that he went from a robin ventura build to a mark mcgwire build overnight. also i don't like the fact that over the past 10 years he's struck out an average of 153 times. now THAT should make ya think a lil bit.

i didn't say thome got smaller.  heck, barry bonds didn't get smaller.  my point is the fact that he went from a robin ventura build to a mark mcgwire build overnight.  also i don't like the fact that over the past 10 years he's struck out an average of 153 times.  now THAT should make ya think a lil bit.

Adam Dunn strikes out a ton as well. Does striking out a lot always mean you use steroids? :banghead

Striking out 153 times doesn't mean too much when you still put up a .970 OPS and hit 40+ homeruns.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 06:40 AM)
Adam Dunn strikes out a ton as well.  Does striking out a lot always mean you use steroids?  :banghead

Striking out 153 times doesn't mean too much when you still put up a .970 OPS and hit 40+ homeruns.

you need to take some reading classes, 2 straight posts where you've read something that wasn't there. i would just like a DH that made more contact and put the ball in play. pre-steriod and amphetamine testing, his numbers are awesome. we'll just have to see how it turns out.

you need to take some reading classes, 2 straight posts where you've read something that wasn't there.  i would just like a DH that made more contact and put the ball in play.  pre-steriod and amphetamine testing, his numbers are awesome.  we'll just have to see how it turns out.

I would suggest you be more descriptive in your posts then. In all of your posts, you inferred that Thome used steroids. You neglected to mention that Thome's poor production in 2005 could have been due to his elbow injury. Hard to swing a bat when your elbow hurts, isn't it? :banghead

Most sluggers strike out a lot. Thome strikes out a lot but he also walks a lot. If he's 100% healthy, he will likely put up the best OPS on our team. But then again, he may suck because of baseless accusations that he was on steroids. :rolly

Edited by SSH2005