Rocco Baldelli or Joey Gathright

Steve9347

I was just curious and thinking about Tampa Bay. This is pure speculation on my part. I know that they want to spark some sort of deal, and I'm sure I heard that they had interest in Damaso Marte.

I mean, hell, their motto is "under construction," so obviously they are willing to deal.

tb_logobanner_secondary.jpg

With Crawford, Gathright, Baldelli, Gomes, and even Aubrey Huff, the one thing that Tampa has is outfielders.

I would love to see Rocco on the Sox batting 8th (or even 9th) and Gathright could actually do the same. What is the feasibility of this?

EDIT:

The Sox have had good luck with taking on players after injury by bjying low (Flash, Dye, Eldred) Perhaps El Duque could even be thrown the D-Rays way because of the East Coast's familiarity with his big game pitching...

Edited by Steve9347

i read recently that baldelli is signed to a major deal, i think it was 4 or 5 years for a decent chunk of change.

anyways, baldelli is all they got, i dont think they would want to get rid of him. ideally, hes the man who they would want to build a team around.

that said, baldelli is their best player, and he is just straight up a sweet player. it would be incredible to top this offseason off by puttin him in CF, but thats a pipe dream, in my opinion.

i dont know anything about the other players they have, but im happy with anderson in CF. after signing kong today, i say we roll with exactly what we got. anything less than a WS and i am going to s*** bricks.

QUOTE(timotime @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 08:40 PM)
i read recently that baldelli is signed to a major deal, i think it was 4 or 5 years for a decent chunk of change.

anyways, baldelli is all they got, i dont think they would want to get rid of him. ideally, hes the man who they would want to build a team around.

that said, baldelli is their best player, and he is just straight up a sweet player. it would be incredible to top this offseason off by puttin him in CF, but thats a pipe dream, in my opinion.

i dont know anything about the other players they have, but im happy with anderson in CF. after signing kong today, i say we roll with exactly what we got. anything less than a WS and i am going to s*** bricks.

I don't think Baldelli is even close to their best player. Carl Crawford has that crown easily...

However, you're right about his contract. During a simple google search, I discovered he is in the beginning of a 6-year, 32 million dollar deal. He's not coming here!

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
Seeing how the new mgnt just signed Baldelli, he's not going anywhere. Crawford was signed by the old mgmt earlier this yr.

Seeing how the D-Rays have big glut of OFer's, they could trade Crawford for a bunch of talent

They just signed Crawford to a long ass contract too, their building around Baldelli and Crawford. Neither of them will be coming here.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
Seeing how the new mgnt just signed Baldelli, he's not going anywhere. Crawford was signed by the old mgmt earlier this yr.

Seeing how the D-Rays have big glut of OFer's, they could trade Crawford for a bunch of talent

I could very easily see this, but I'm not sure I see it this year. They will need a leadoff hitter this year, and I'm not sure exactly who they'd have leadoff if they were to trade Crawford.

I will say that they do have a good young corps of hitters...hell of a scouting department they have. Crawford, Baldelli, Gomes, Young, and Garthright in the OF alone, to go along with Cantu, Upton, Huff, and probably others I'm not considering right now because I just don't know enough about the Devil Rays.

If they were in any other division, they'd probably be 1-2 years away from being a hella crazy force.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 04:49 AM)
They just signed Crawford to a long ass contract too, their building around Baldelli and Crawford. Neither of them will be coming here.

The key is the old management signed Crawford. the new guys just signed Baldelli.

Joey Gathright - OF - Devil Rays

The Marlins and Dodgers have been most aggressive in their pursuit of Joey Gathright, says the St. Petersburg Times.

The Yankees, White Sox, Cubs, Angels, Giants and Padres have also asked about him. Gathright seems nearly certain to be traded. He's not going to be a regular in Tampa Bay, and there might never again be a market for him like there is right now. Dec. 1 - 2:11 am et

Source: St. Petersburg Times

i would guess if they got gathright (hope not) it would be more as insurance than anything else because i don't see him as a regular on this team.

i wouldn't mind him if the cost was cheap, but considering the amount of suitors that's probably not going to happen.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 01:49 AM)
I could very easily see this, but I'm not sure I see it this year.  They will need a leadoff hitter this year, and I'm not sure exactly who they'd have leadoff if they were to trade Crawford.

I will say that they do have a good young corps of hitters...hell of a scouting department they have.  Crawford, Baldelli, Gomes, Young, and Garthright in the OF alone, to go along with Cantu, Upton, Huff, and probably others I'm not considering right now because I just don't know enough about the Devil Rays.

If they were in any other division, they'd probably be 1-2 years away from being a hella crazy force.

They're way off from having a competent pitching staff though, which kills their chances of really competing. Kazmir and Baez are their only legit pitchers, and IIRC most if not all of their top prospects were/are position players. They desperately need to deal Aubrey Huff for a #2 pitcher.

I know someone who's seen Gathright play a ton of games in the minors, and he continues to state he's extremely, extremely overrated. He has the lightning speed, but besides that, he's below average in almost every other possible attribute required to be a good MLB player.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
I know someone who's seen Gathright play a ton of games in the minors, and he continues to state he's extremely, extremely overrated.  He has the lightning speed, but besides that, he's below average in almost every other possible attribute required to be a good MLB player.

good information.