Twins want Frank?

SSH2005

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5758905.html

The Twins also are seriously considering a push for two-time A.L. MVP Frank Thomas, whose days with the White Sox appear to be over. A Twins official said the club has done a lot of research on Thomas in recent weeks, which comes after the club had no interest in him.

Thomas, who is 52 homers shy of 500 for his career, is the most recognizable name and could have the biggest impact in the Twins' lineup.

Thomas' career with the White Sox appears all but over after the club re-signed first baseman Paul Konerko and traded for Jim Thome to be the designated hitter. In fact, White Sox General Manager Kenny Williams told Chicago media on Wednesday he wanted to speak directly to Thomas before revealing anything about his future with the club.

Thomas, 37, has battled a surgically repaired left ankle over the past couple of years. He batted .219 in 34 games last season, with 12 homers and 26 RBI in 105 at-bats. He played in only 74 games in 2004, batting .271 with 18 homers and 49 RBI. He has 30 homers and 80 walks over his past 345 at-bats.

I posted something weeks ago about the Twins and Indians both being interested in Frank. Mostly it was dismissed due to the 'rivalry' issue. Frank makes sense for either of those teams and if he's healthy he'll sign with whoever offers him the best deal. Rivalry be damned.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
B4 being a smartass have you ever heard of Travis Hafner  :bang ..... and he cant play 1st at all complete butcher.

Hafner plays 1B, Thomas DH's. I don't know what's so complicated about that? You don't think the Indians would put Broussard on the bench for Thomas? Cas if you don't, pass those rocks over here.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 05:55 AM)
Hafner plays 1B, Thomas DH's. I don't know what's so complicated about that? You don't think the Indians would put Broussard on the bench for Thomas? Cas if you don't, pass those rocks over here.

You obviously havent seen Hafner play 1B :bang

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 05:55 AM)

They would be better off with Frank playing 1B over Pronk...seriously. He is that bad.

For me, there are only two good things about Frank playing in the Teflon Dump:

1.  I'll get to see him play a lot more than I have in years.

2.  I'll get to hear the Twins fans rationalize the signing.  That will be really fun.

it will still be sad though...whatever frank does, i will always support him (unless he kills kittens while laughing)

I think I could find it in my heart to boo Frank if he wore a Twins or Indians uniform. Easily.

Yes...I do believe I could.

I'll tip my cap to Frank for the time he spent with the White Sox, but that history isn't all peaches, either...there is a lot I've already forgiven him for. That said, if he joins those teams, he's no longer with us...by choice or not...therefore he gets booed from this time forward.

Thank you Frank, for all the memories. But as Hawk might say, he gone.

And good riddance. Good management knows when to let go. And it's time to let go.

I'm still holding out hope a team like the Blue-Jays, Orioles or A's comes in and gets Frank.

I have a lot of respect for the Twins as an organization for the way they handle themselves with the payroll they have etc., but as a White Sox fan I just hate em for how they played for this decade before 2005.

So I really don't wanna see Frank there at all. Hopefully they sign Everett to DH there instead.

Frank has had 2 bone fractures less than an inch apart in his foot. I'm told the only reason he didn't have surgery on the second break is that it was so close to the first break that he couldn't.

Even if he comes back, that foot will not be fully healed, and he will end up re-injuring it after some time. It may take a season, it may take 2 weeks, but it will not be able to support the stress of Frank's swing and running the bases.

yeah i read about that and i just threw off as bs. big frank is far from returning to play, no matter how fast he recovers. it may take him a full yr to return. i don't see the twins dishing out money like that, only if it was a revenge factor.