For Dems only.

Texsox

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"As the hobbits are going up Mount Doom, the Eye of Mordor is being drawn somewhere else...It's being drawn to Iraq and it's not being drawn to the U.S. You know what? I want to keep it on Iraq. I don't want the Eye to come back here to the United States."

-Sen Rick Santorum.

This explains a lot.

A few weeks ago, I took the F.B.I.’s temperature again. At the end of a long interview, I asked Willie Hulon, chief of the bureau’s new national security branch, whether he thought that it was important for a man in his position to know the difference between Sunnis and Shiites. “Yes, sure, it’s right to know the difference,” he said. “It’s important to know who your targets are.”

That was a big advance over 2005. So next I asked him if he could tell me the difference. He was flummoxed. “The basics goes back to their beliefs and who they were following,” he said. “And the conflicts between the Sunnis and the Shia and the difference between who they were following.”

O.K., I asked, trying to help, what about today? Which one is Iran — Sunni or Shiite? He thought for a second. “Iran and Hezbollah,” I prompted. “Which are they?”

He took a stab: “Sunni.”

Wrong.

Al Qaeda? “Sunni.”

Right.

AND to his credit, Mr. Hulon, a distinguished agent who is up nights worrying about Al Qaeda while we safely sleep, did at least know that the vicious struggle between Islam’s Abel and Cain was driving Iraq into civil war. But then we pay him to know things like that, the same as some members of Congress.

Take Representative Terry Everett, a seven-term Alabama Republican who is vice chairman of the House intelligence subcommittee on technical and tactical intelligence.

“Do you know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite?” I asked him a few weeks ago.

Mr. Everett responded with a low chuckle. He thought for a moment: “One’s in one location, another’s in another location. No, to be honest with you, I don’t know. I thought it was differences in their religion, different families or something.”

To his credit, he asked me to explain the differences. I told him briefly about the schism that developed after the death of the Prophet Muhammad, and how Iraq and Iran are majority Shiite nations while the rest of the Muslim world is mostly Sunni. “Now that you’ve explained it to me,” he replied, “what occurs to me is that it makes what we’re doing over there extremely difficult, not only in Iraq but that whole area.”

Representative Jo Ann Davis, a Virginia Republican who heads a House intelligence subcommittee charged with overseeing the C.I.A.’s performance in recruiting Islamic spies and analyzing information, was similarly dumbfounded when I asked her if she knew the difference between Sunnis and Shiites.

“Do I?” she asked me. A look of concentration came over her face. “You know, I should.” She took a stab at it: “It’s a difference in their fundamental religious beliefs. The Sunni are more radical than the Shia. Or vice versa. But I think it’s the Sunnis who’re more radical than the Shia.”

Did she know which branch Al Qaeda’s leaders follow?

“Al Qaeda is the one that’s most radical, so I think they’re Sunni,” she replied. “I may be wrong, but I think that’s right.”

Did she think that it was important, I asked, for members of Congress charged with oversight of the intelligence agencies, to know the answer to such questions, so they can cut through officials’ puffery when they came up to the Hill?

“Oh, I think it’s very important,” said Ms. Davis, “because Al Qaeda’s whole reason for being is based on their beliefs. And you’ve got to understand, and to know your enemy.”

So, it turns out Obama may be seriously looking at a Prez run in '08...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politic...ll=chi-news-hed

I must say I'm surprised. As I've said, given he earlier was adamant about not running, I thought in his case, that would stick. I may have been very wrong on this one.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
So, it turns out Obama may be seriously looking at a Prez run in '08...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politic...ll=chi-news-hed

I must say I'm surprised. As I've said, given he earlier was adamant about not running, I thought in his case, that would stick. I may have been very wrong on this one.

I am going to intrude into here to reiterate that he has been looking "Presidential" for quite a while now... Barack has been leaving way too many open doors for a guy with no interest in running this during this cycle. I even heard speculation that it could simply be trying to pump up his book sales ala Powell, but I don't think that is it.

Frappin Clinton News Network , always giving more coverage to Democrats.

From October 12-17, CNN aired 3,361 words about allegations that Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid (NV) improperly reported a land deal in which he made $700,000.

Seventeen different CNN transcripts in the Nexis database include mention of the Reid land deal -- and that doesn't even count October 18, when CNN has aired at least one more lengthy segment on the deal.

By comparison, CNN has aired only 65 words about a land deal in which House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-IL) made nearly $2 million, a story which was first reported by the Chicago Sun-Times on June 15. By contrast, the Reid land deal first broke a week ago, when the Associated Press reported on October 11 that Reid had made $700,000 "on a Las Vegas land sale even though he hadn't personally owned the property for three years."

Hastert's property appreciated in value after he earmarked taxpayer funding for a highway near the property -- but only two CNN transcripts contain any mention of Hastert's land deal, for a total word count that is one-fiftieth the number of words CNN has devoted to the Reid story. And 65 words is an extremely generous count -- it includes a vague reference made in passing by Democratic strategist and pundit James Carville.

CNN has never -- not once -- told viewers the central allegation of the Hastert controversy: that Hastert profited after winning federal funding for a highway that increased the value of his property. As Media Matters for America has noted, that is a crucial difference between the Reid and Hastert controversies: Unlike Hastert, Reid is not alleged to have taken official government action that led to his profit. Yet CNN has devoted extensive coverage to the Reid deal, while virtually ignoring the far more serious allegations against Hastert.

A little-known Republican group that claims to have swayed the 2004 presidential election with provocative radio advertising aimed at black and Hispanic audiences is spending nearly $1 million this year to boost the GOP's chances of holding on to a majority in Congress.

The group, America's Pac, began running ads last month in more than two dozen congressional districts.The campaign discusses issues ranging from warrantless wiretapping to school choice, but the most inflammatory spots pertain to abortion.

"Black babies are terminated at triple the rate of white babies," a female announcer in one of the ads says, as rain, thunder, and a crying infant are heard in the background. "The Democratic Party supports these abortion laws that are decimating our people, but the individual's right to life is protected in the Republican platform. Democrats say they want our vote.Why don't they want our lives?"

Another ad features a dialogue between two men.

"If you make a little mistake with one of your ‘hos,' you'll want to dispose of that problem tout suite, no questions asked," one of the men says.

"That's too cold. I don't snuff my own seed," the other replies.

"Maybe you do have a reason to vote Republican," the first man says.

Link.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
Frappin Clinton News Network , always giving more coverage to Democrats.

Just so you know, the land in question for Hastert was 5.5 miles away and is next to the property that his home sits on. Not quite the same as buying land that was depressed because of zoning, getting zoning changed for THAT land, then selling it for a hugew profit, like Reid.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
Just so you know, the land in question for Hastert was 5.5 miles away and is next to the property that his home sits on. Not quite the same as buying land that was depressed because of zoning, getting zoning changed for THAT land, then selling it for a hugew profit, like Reid.

And of course, actually um, being able to lobby for and vote for legislation that puts a highway exit ramp right by that land and therefore massively increases the value is clearly not nearly as bad as dealing with a local zoning commission over which Reid has zero control.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
I am going to intrude into here to reiterate that he has been looking "Presidential" for quite a while now... Barack has been leaving way too many open doors for a guy with no interest in running this during this cycle. I even heard speculation that it could simply be trying to pump up his book sales ala Powell, but I don't think that is it.

I love Obama, but I think running in '8 is a mistake. Establish a senate record and run at the next open opportunity.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
I love Obama, but I think running in '8 is a mistake. Establish a senate record and run at the next open opportunity.

A Senate record is exactly what he doesn't want/need. The more votes you make, the more chances you give the other side to tear you apart.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
And of course, actually um, being able to lobby for and vote for legislation that puts a highway exit ramp right by that land and therefore massively increases the value is clearly not nearly as bad as dealing with a local zoning commission over which Reid has zero control.

Well, his partner in Partrick Lane LLC was a Jay Brown. The same Jay brown that has reported links to organized crime, and figures in a federal criminal case, which concerns bribing members of the Clark County Zoning Commission, the same commission that changed the zoning for Reid. In fact, the land he 'purchased' from the feds was supposed to be sold at auction, but he apparently had that rulke suspended, and managed a landswap to aquire the land. Seems like Reid could have had quite alot of input here.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10162006/posto...d_morrissey.htm

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 12:02 PM)

I believe Reid's son serves on the commission.

Edited by Cknolls

As far as i'm aware of....the state has approached the local communities and said that if they want an off ramp they need to come up with a few million to help pay for it. I'm in Lockport and 355(as well as any proposed off ramp) would be less than 2 miles from my house, and the city is taking polls around town as to whether we should pay or not. I don't think Denny can just call up someone and say "Hey....let's put a ramp here", because whatever city he's in is going to have to pay for it. (I know he's from Plano but not didn't know he had land out my way. Anyone know where?)

It's always rosey smelling poop when it comes from your side. Or, "it's always different".

Sen. Barack Obama acknowledged Sunday he was considering a run for president in 2008, backing off previous statements that he would not do so.

The Illinois Democrat said he could no longer stand by the statements he made after his 2004 election and earlier this year that he would serve a full six-year term in Congress. He said he would not make a decision until after the Nov. 7 elections.

"That was how I was thinking at that time," said Obama, when asked on NBC's "Meet the Press" about his previous statements.

"Given the responses that I've been getting over the last several months, I have thought about the possibility" although not with the seriousness or depth required, he said. "My main focus right now is in the '06. ... After November 7, I'll sit down, I'll sit down and consider, and if at some point I change my mind, I will make a public announcement and everybody will be able to go at me."

Please.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 06:39 PM)
/rolly

Obama and Hillary... "I will serve my full term"... What bulls***.

You know, people were saying that when Hillary first took office. . .What bulls***.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
You know, people were saying that when Hillary first took office. . .What bulls***.

You're right. :lol:

She had to wait... I don't know because I'm not in NY, is she saying the same thing this term? Probably not.

The Democrat list is going to be brutal this time, I expect a lot of infighting but Hillary is a clear front runner.

The Republicans are bumbling idiots, at least at this point, for 2008. 2006. :)

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
You're right. :lol:

She had to wait... I don't know because I'm not in NY, is she saying the same thing this term? Probably not.

The Democrat list is going to be brutal this time, I expect a lot of infighting but Hillary is a clear front runner.

The Republicans are bumbling idiots, at least at this point, for 2008. 2006. :)

I actually like the Democrat list at this point... just not the current front-runners. Clinton/Kerry/Edwards are all pretty brutal. But I like some of the others, like Bayh, Richardson and Obama, for example.

I don't see Hilary as the front-runner. I saw a poll recently that said some large part of the country, something like half, already are "sure" they would vote for her. No way she gets the nod.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
I actually like the Democrat list at this point... just not the current front-runners. Clinton/Kerry/Edwards are all pretty brutal. But I like some of the others, like Bayh, Richardson and Obama, for example.

I don't see Hilary as the front-runner. I saw a poll recently that said some large part of the country, something like half, already are "sure" they would vote for her. No way she gets the nod.

I hope you're right.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
/rolly

Obama and Hillary... "I will serve my full term"... What bulls***.

That is a very long list including the current President. Obviously a guy who never won office before, would be thinking about running for President. LOL. Think about it Kap. Do you really think he had formed plans to run for President way back then? He was trying to win his race. In the middle of that, you think he was thinking hey, people are going to really like me and I'll receive widespread support for a Presidential bid?

No matter how hard conservatives try and lock up the nomination for Hillary, she won't be the candidate.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 08:01 AM)
No matter how hard conservatives try and lock up the nomination for Hillary, she won't be the candidate.

I'm certainly still not ready to say that for one simple reason: As George W. Bush has proven in 2 elections straight, money still determines everything in politics, and Hillary is simply going to have orders of magnitude more money than anyone else in that race.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)
I'm certainly still not ready to say that for one simple reason: As George W. Bush has proven in 2 elections straight, money still determines everything in politics, and Hillary is simply going to have orders of magnitude more money than anyone else in that race.

Hilary has a few X-factors effecting her that no one else has. Therefore, I don't think conventional wisdom necessarily plays out in her case. The one number that I can't get past is that, before he campaign has even officially begun, 40% of the country already knows they "definitely" won't vote for her.