Olbermann and MSNBC being smart.

Rex Kickass

And I wish I watched it more often... Olbermann has been picking on Fox News hosts Gibson and O'Reilly recently - in an obvious attempt to piss them off and get the ratings leader in cable news to talk about him, Countdown and MSNBC. Apparently it worked.

So much so that John Gibson went out of his way to deny the things he was quoted as saying. Olbermann called him on it last night and asked him to resign his post.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/msnbc/..._30037.asp#more

This is such a brilliant thing to do for Olbermann because by getting Fox to respond to his little catcalls and insults, it only draws attention to himself and gets himself more viewers.

Countdown is MSNBC's biggest draw at the moment and if Olbermann and crew do smart guerilla marketing like this, they'll be beating CNN by this time next year.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually spoke with the head of MSNBC, Rick Kaplan, quite a bit over the past few months and they really think they have the nucleus in place to be considered the country's premier cable news channel. I tend to agree with him. I'm finding myself watching MSNBC and only MSNBC recently and I really enjoy the network and all their talking heads. It'll be interesting to say the least.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
I actually spoke with the head of MSNBC, Rick Kaplan, quite a bit over the past few months and they really think they have the nucleus in place to be considered the country's premier cable news channel.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(WCSox @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
:lolhitting

Seriously.

He really has nothing to lose. He knew the situation at MSNBC was in when he took the position and I think his run at CNN began hinting at the direction he was looking to take the channel. Obviously, it didn't work out for him at CNN--and the ratings will show as much--but, MSNBC is doing all the right things.

As a member of this newly-targeted, younger demographic, MSNBC is far more appealing either Fox or CNN.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
And I wish I watched it more often... Olbermann has been picking on Fox News hosts Gibson and O'Reilly recently - in an obvious attempt to piss them off and get the ratings leader in cable news to talk about him, Countdown and MSNBC. Apparently it worked.

So much so that John Gibson went out of his way to deny the things he was quoted as saying. Olbermann called him on it last night and asked him to resign his post.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/msnbc/..._30037.asp#more

This is such a brilliant thing to do for Olbermann because by getting Fox to respond to his little catcalls and insults, it only draws attention to himself and gets himself more viewers.

Countdown is MSNBC's biggest draw at the moment and if Olbermann and crew do smart guerilla marketing like this, they'll be beating CNN by this time next year.

That is the only way he will get ratings. He is the drudge report on T.V. Have you ever seen Keith say anything bad about a democrat or a liberal? Maybe if the said dem or lib is agreeing with the pres or repubs.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
Seriously.

He really has nothing to lose.  He knew the situation at MSNBC was in when he took the position and I think his run at CNN began hinting at the direction he was looking to take the channel.  Obviously, it didn't work out for him at CNN--and the ratings will show as much--but, MSNBC is doing all the right things.

As a member of this newly-targeted, younger demographic, MSNBC is far more appealing either Fox or CNN.

Unfortunately, the "younger demographic" doesn't watch news as much as adults. That's why Fox is destroying MSNBC in the ratings. IIRC, the 4 AM (ET) re-airing of O'Reilly was out-drawing the primetime airing of Countdown something like 40% of the time last month.

Liberal news commentary doesn't draw ratings. Air America's rating vs. those of Rush, Hannity, etc. clearly show that. If MSNBC wants ratings, they're going to have to feature more conservatives. That would include featuring Scarbrough. Was it MSNBC or CNBC that picked up Tucker Carlson recently? He could be an asset to them as well.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
Unfortunately, the "younger demographic" doesn't watch news as much as adults.  That's why Fox is destroying MSNBC in the ratings.  IIRC, the 4 AM (ET) re-airing of O'Reilly was out-drawing the primetime airing of Countdown something like 40% of the time last month.

Liberal news commentary doesn't draw ratings.  Air America's rating vs. those of Rush, Hannity, etc. clearly show that. If MSNBC wants ratings, they're going to have to feature more conservatives.  That would include featuring Scarbrough.  Was it MSNBC or CNBC that picked up Tucker Carlson recently?  He could be an asset to them as well.

This: we are in perfect agreement with.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Liberal news commentary doesn't draw ratings.  Air America's rating vs. those of Rush, Hannity, etc. clearly show that.

First of all, Air America is actually closing in on Limbaugh's ratings in several markets already, and is holding steady at about/above the level of O'Reilly in NY.

But here's the real question...is it fair to judge the entire spectrum of liberal opinion based on a comparison between a year and a half old network only available in about 90 cities nationwide and shows that have been on the air for years, have massive TV exposure, and are on 500-1000 or more channels nationwide?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
First of all, Air America is actually closing in on Limbaugh's ratings in several markets already, and is holding steady at about/above the level of O'Reilly in NY.

But here's the real question...is it fair to judge the entire spectrum of liberal opinion based on a comparison between a year and a half old network only available in about 90 cities nationwide and shows that have been on the air for years, have massive TV exposure, and are on 500-1000 or more channels nationwide?

Yes. The liberals had the same chance years ago to gain market share, and they couldn't. Now they have to gain it the hard way.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
Yes.  The liberals had the same chance years ago to gain market share, and they couldn't.  Now they have to gain it the hard way.

Ok, could you please enlighten me on this one? What chance did we have? The Conservatives were the ones who bult "Political talk radio" as an industry, and the Liberals have been playing catchup ever since. Are you saying that we should have thought of it first?

Rush Limbaugh wins because he has a better product than most liberal talk shows. Not in thought process, but in sheer talent as an on-air personality. The few "liberal" talk shows that have been on the air in years past were boring to say the least.

Air America is different and features a product that is maturing. As a result, the network is growing. It's growing quickly too. From 6 stations in April 2004 to 84 today. The network attracts between 2 and 3 million listeners weekly.

Limbaugh is on over 600 affiliates and attracts 20 million listeners a week. But his lustre is starting to fade and has been overtaken in San Fransisco and Portland Oregon by Al Franken. The 25-54 listenership lead is quite small for him in New York City as well.

Air America is doing very well for having a terrible business model to kick off. I was very surprised that the network lasted through the election - to be honest - but I think its past the danger point right now.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 11:20 PM)
I think  a liberal talk radio network could be successful.  In my opinion they should hire more intellectuals rather than celebrities as their show hosts.

it's not about being smart, its about being entertaining...

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 07:00 PM)
Rush Limbaugh wins because he has a better product than most liberal talk shows. Not in thought process, but in sheer talent as an on-air personality. The few "liberal" talk shows that have been on the air in years past were boring to say the least.

Air America is different and features a product that is maturing. As a result, the network is growing. It's growing quickly too. From 6 stations in April 2004 to 84 today. The network attracts between 2 and 3 million listeners weekly.

Limbaugh is on over 600 affiliates and attracts 20 million listeners a week. But his lustre is starting to fade and has been overtaken in San Fransisco and Portland Oregon by Al Franken. The 25-54 listenership lead is quite small for him in New York City as well.

Air America is doing very well for having a terrible business model to kick off. I was very surprised that the network lasted through the election - to be honest - but I think its past the danger point right now.

I can't stand to listen to Rush, but when you talk about where he is getting beat, all I have to say is "duh". NYC, SF, and Oregon are about as far left as you can get when it comes to a demographic. If AA couldn't beat Rush there, they might as well commit Seppuku, because they would be done.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)

Given that said network was losing so much money that they accepted misappropriated funds to get themselves out of the red, the answer appears to be "yes." IIRC, they're now soliciting donations on their website. Why didn't liberal talk radio take off back in the early '90s? And, for that matter, why is Fox News kicking the crap out of MSNBC in the ratings? My feeling is that it's because most people who listen to political commentary tend to be older and older people tend to be more conservative.

Also, LOL at the fact that Air America is closing in on Rush in San Fran and Oregon. I think that my neighbor and I are the only conservatives in the entire state.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 07:33 AM)
Given that said network was losing so much money that they accepted misappropriated funds to get themselves out of the red, the answer appears to be "yes."  IIRC, they're now soliciting donations on their website.

Many of our listeners also listen to NPR stations and Pacifica and are used to supporting radio programming they like. I got the idea from the Nation Magazine’s program “The Nation Associates” which helps them fund investigative journalism. Like Air America Radio, The Nation is a for-profit company.

But the conservative propagandists have tried to make it seem like there is something unseemly because Air America Radio is both commercial—and a radio network, as O’Reilly said last night, “I have never seen a commercial enterprise ask their listeners for money—ever” This is also false. The modern model of the broadcasting business involves numerous revenue streams. If anything, Air America has been late in fully building such an infrastructure which the “Associates” is a part of.

For example, Rush Limbaugh’s Web-site offers his fans the “Limbaugh Letter” for $34.95 a year and a totally separate service called Rush 24/7 which includes access to archived programs at the cost of $49.95 a year. The Limbaugh site also features the “EIB Store” which sells such items as $19.95 polo shirt which amusingly says, “My Mullah went to G’itmo and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.”

The Sean Hannity Web-site features a “subscription” to something called, “The Hannity Insider” for $5.95 a month.

But no one tops the self proclaimed non-spinner Bill O’Reilly. Bill O’Reilly.com offers a “premium membership” for either $4.95 a month or $49.95 a year. He also offers a “Gift certificate” for $14.95. Products for sale on the Web site include:

-- Radio Factor diner coffee mug available in white or navy blue for $14.95

- O’Reilly Factor keychain for $7.95 “while supplies last.”

--Three different “No Spin” tote bags at $14.95 apiece

--Ten different hats at a cost of $16.95 each

--The “no spin” jacket for $79.95

--The “ Unisex Black Fleece” embroidered with “The Spin Stops Here” for $39.95

--Several bumper stickers including one that reads “Boycott France” for $2.50

--License plate frame for $18.95

--Three different “No Spin” tote bags at $14.95 each

--An O’Reilly Factor Gear Bag at $64.95

-- “Mens Garment Bag” for $64.95 (sorry ladies!)

--a “Spin Stops Here” organizer briefcase

--A “Spin Stops Here” pen and pad bundle for $19.95

--Two different designs of “Spin Stops Here” doormats for $49.95 and

--Two different “Rain Stops Here” umbrellas at $24.95(“Show everyone who protects you from the rain”)

Mainelli’s article also repeated another falsehood about Air America saying “More recently the 70 station left network has been suffering lower ratings.” His corporate cousin O’Reilly wishfully stated on August 17th said “Air America—nobody is listening to it,” On Aug 3rd O’Reilly claimed that “Air America cannot support itself because of low ratings” and on July 26th O’Reilly said “The Air America radio network continues to fail with catastrophic ratings here in New York City. ”

In fact, the ratings for the Bill O’Reilly radio show in New York were worse than those on Air America that he described as “catastrophic.” In the key 25-54 year demographic which talk radio offers to advertisers, the Spring, 2005 Arbitron ratings showed that Monday-Friday from 2-4 PM when O’Reilly is on WOR-AM and which at Air America’s 1190 WLIB-AM contains the last hour of “The Al Franken Show” and the first hour of “The Randi Rhodes Show,” that O’Reilly had a .3 share and Air America a .4 share. O’Reilly had a cumulative audience of 75,400 and Air America had a cumulative audience of 89,300.

Inevitably ratings go up and down and vary from time slot to time slot and from market to market. Right wing bloggers have had fun cherry picking isolated pieces of ratings reports to distort the enormous enthusiasm Air America’s growing audience has demonstrated. At the vast majority of our affiliates Air America ratings are up. On a nationwide basis the most recent Arbitron ratings Spring 2005 ratings book showed that our affiliates reach over three million people per week each of whom listens for an average of several hours a week. This is more than triple the amount of people who were listening when measured one year earlier in the Spring, 2004 book.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
I can't stand to listen to Rush, but when you talk about where he is getting beat, all I have to say is "duh".  NYC, SF, and Oregon are about as far left as you can get when it comes to a demographic.  If AA couldn't beat Rush there, they might as well commit Seppuku, because they would be done.

WABC in New York is one of the most conservative talkers around and reaches millions of listeners weekly. The New York market does not just include Manhattan, but also the outer boroughs, half of New Jersey, Long Island (which is Republican and Westchester County in New York. Also includes a big part of Connecticut as well.

WLIB has a significant weaker signal, that is barely audible east of Manhattan at night due to it needing to protect WOWO-AM in Fort Wayne. It still manages to attract between 350,000 and 500,000 total listeners weekly despite having NO specific to New York local content between 5am and midnight.

Michael Savage of the Savage Nation popped out of San Francisco. Just so ya know.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
WABC in New York is one of the most conservative talkers around and reaches millions of listeners weekly. The New York market does not just include Manhattan, but also the outer boroughs, half of New Jersey, Long Island (which is Republican and Westchester County in New York. Also includes a big part of Connecticut as well.

WLIB has a significant weaker signal, that is barely audible east of Manhattan at night due to it needing to protect WOWO-AM in Fort Wayne. It still manages to attract between 350,000 and 500,000 total listeners weekly despite having NO specific to New York local content between 5am and midnight.

Michael Savage of the Savage Nation popped out of San Francisco. Just so ya know.

Yes there are conservatives in these places, but there are WAY more liberals there. Just like you could find liberals in southern Indiana, but you are going to find WAY more conservatives.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)

Rush, O'Reilly, and Hannity all draw in enough advertising revenue to exist in just about all major (and most small) markets. They don't need additional revenue from newletters, e-mail updates, etc. And all of O'Reilly's profits from "Factor Gear" go towards Habitat For Humanity.

So, why does Air America need to beg its listeners for money? The aforementioned talk-show hosts simply have items for sale... that's a hell of a lot different than begging. Why can't they simply offer to sell something to their listeners? Is it because they're so broke that they can't afford the manufacturing/printing costs? :o

Oh, and Kudos to Al Franken and Randi Rhodes for out-drawing O'Reilly's mediocre radio show in ultra-liberal New York City. How are they doing against Rush and Hannity in more moderate parts of the country? :rolly

QUOTE(WCSox @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
Rush, O'Reilly, and Hannity all draw in enough advertising revenue to exist in just about all major (and most small) markets.  They don't need additional revenue from newletters, e-mail updates, etc.  And all of O'Reilly's profits from "Factor Gear" go towards Habitat For Humanity.

So, why does Air America need to beg its listeners for money?  The aforementioned talk-show hosts simply have items for sale... that's a hell of a lot different than begging.  Why can't they simply offer to sell something to their listeners?  Is it because they're so broke that they can't afford the manufacturing/printing costs?  :o

Oh, and Kudos to Al Franken and Randi Rhodes for out-drawing O'Reilly's mediocre radio show in ultra-liberal New York City.  How are they doing against Rush and Hannity in more moderate parts of the country?  :rolly

You noticed how the fact that all profits from "Factor Gear" goes to charity was skipped over, even though the price list was verbatum? Odd isn't it?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
You noticed how the fact that all profits from "Factor Gear" goes to charity was skipped over, even though the price list was verbatum?  Odd isn't it?

No, actually, it's pretty typical of liberals. :usa