Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 12:08 PM)
Most assistant's will do the majority of the recruiting, and the head coaches are basically used as closers. In some special cases a head coach will do all the recruiting of a player to impress them and try to seal the deal. I would say in college basketball assistant coaches do about 75% of the recruiting, and in college football they probably do about 90% of the recruiting.

Agreed on that.

I also agree with Weber's assessment of recruiting. The reason the Duke and UNC's of the world continue to succeed with all the high profile recruits they bring in is because the coaches at these programs sell highly recruited players on roles once they are at the school.

Weber will be very succesful at Illinois if he can start landing the occasional stud recruit and complement one or two go to scorers with other guys filling roles.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a big surprise, the number two rated all purpose back in the nation - Armando Allen - is going to announce for ND over Florida tomorrow. Almost everyone assumed that he was a Florida lock after questions about his ability to EE at ND, but Weis went to visit him the other day and that was the icing on the cake. Before this season, a lot of people thought that Allen was the best high school back in the country. Unfortunately, he was seriously injuried early in the season and missed most of his senior year. The guy has amazing speed with some reports saying sub four-four fourty time. A great get for ND.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
Former Walther Lutheran QB Bo Flowers is gonna play safety at Illinois. He was drafted by Detroit, and traded to the Cubs in the Farnsworth deal. I saw him play in the frontier league this year.

apparently they're looking at him as a safety. ohio state was also pretty interested in this guy.

flowers info from buckeye planet

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
Former Walther Lutheran QB Bo Flowers is gonna play safety at Illinois. He was drafted by Detroit, and traded to the Cubs in the Farnsworth deal. I saw him play in the frontier league this year.

Nice, i played against Bo Flowers in travel baseball when i was about 11 years old. The kid threw so hard at that age, he was unhittable to say the least.

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
In a big surprise, the number two rated all purpose back in the nation - Armando Allen - is going to announce for ND over Florida tomorrow. Almost everyone assumed that he was a Florida lock after questions about his ability to EE at ND, but Weis went to visit him the other day and that was the icing on the cake. Before this season, a lot of people thought that Allen was the best high school back in the country. Unfortunately, he was seriously injuried early in the season and missed most of his senior year. The guy has amazing speed with some reports saying sub four-four fourty time. A great get for ND.

Huge get for ND. Not only is Allen a serious talent but Weis went into Miami, Fla State, and Florida's backyard and pulled him out. But hey, wasn't it too hard to recruit at ND, Urban Meyer?

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 01:15 AM)
Scout.com reports the Illinois got a commitment from RB Brian Gamble ou of Ohio. Hes listed as a 2 star on scout and 3 star on rivals, anyways i tihnk this is a good pickup for zook and crew

don't be fooled by his ratings either. gamble's ratings are low because he is a high academic risk and is on the borderline when it comes to him qualifying. however, he is one of the top-10 prospects in ohio and comes from a great program. gamble is really, really talented, and if he gets to campus he will be a contributor.

however, it is a big question whether or not he qualifies. apparently he was not much interested in going to school his freshman year and pretty much put up zeroes across the board in terms of gpa, test scores, etc. since then he's improved greatly, but he still has a lot of work to do to get into illinois.

Well, as much as I hate to say it, Noel Devine is no longer being recruited by FSU and I am perfectly happy with that. The kid is a walking problem and I guess Bobby learned his lesson about troubled recruits in the past. I don't care how talented he is, I don't want that kid walking around this campus if he is as big of a problem as everyone is making him see.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
don't be fooled by his ratings either. gamble's ratings are low because he is a high academic risk and is on the borderline when it comes to him qualifying. however, he is one of the top-10 prospects in ohio and comes from a great program. gamble is really, really talented, and if he gets to campus he will be a contributor.

however, it is a big question whether or not he qualifies. apparently he was not much interested in going to school his freshman year and pretty much put up zeroes across the board in terms of gpa, test scores, etc. since then he's improved greatly, but he still has a lot of work to do to get into illinois.

Yeah, i read also that he will play S as opposed to RB. He is listed on Rivals as a Saftey now actaully

Edited by Spod=Ratings

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 06:32 PM)
Well, as much as I hate to say it, Noel Devine is no longer being recruited by FSU and I am perfectly happy with that. The kid is a walking problem and I guess Bobby learned his lesson about troubled recruits in the past. I don't care how talented he is, I don't want that kid walking around this campus if he is as big of a problem as everyone is making him see.

Tell me more about his problems. I don't know anything about him other than what I saw in the internet videos, which were pretty amazing. What's going on with this kid?

Good question Rex. He's had problems in the past when Deion Sanders pretty much kicked him out of his house. He's had academic problems but had been rumored to really be working on his grades.

He already has two children at 18, but seems like a good guy to me. He lost both his parents by the time he was 11 and had to become a man early. I'm still not sure what to make of him, other than having watched his breathtaking video's for 4 years now. I honestly wouldn't mind if Butch Davis took a look see at him.

Funny that Noel Devine is brought up. An Illini assistant actually had an in home visit with him yesterday in Florida, and there is a legitimate possibility of him making an official visit to Illinois. And no, I'm not kidding, I couldn't possibly make this s*** up.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)

You are correct about his game. As for his grades....I'll guess Gamble qualifies. If the Illini were able to get Jeff Cumberland qualify last year (which of course they did), they could get Gamble to, no doubt about it.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:02 PM)
Tell me more about his problems. I don't know anything about him other than what I saw in the internet videos, which were pretty amazing. What's going on with this kid?

Earlier in the season he got suspended for a game and a couple days of school for a fight in school. Recently he is suspended from the state all-star game or something like that and 5 days of school for getting into a "very heated argument" with his coach. Some says punches weren't thrown but that's speculation. Also coming out of people who live in the area, he hangs out with a really bad crowd and some have said he has been caught smoking on recent occasions.

Like you guys said, his videos are simply amazing. However, his attitude and personality is far from it. The head guy over at Warchant said that things have gotten so bad that they are no longer recruiting him.

I live in ft. myers and Devine...

Is bad news..I see him out a lot ... Believe me he wouldnt last here.. I saw him the other day hanging with a real bad crowd and you dont want to know what he was doing..

WarchantUser42 is RIGHT on the money with this one. I have children that go/have gone to North, and know him very well. He is NOT the kind of person I would want at FSU, regardless of his talent. I think the best thing Noel could do is get out of the state, and get as far away from his "friends" as he can.

dude, i too live in fort myers and ive been saying this about noel devine for 2 years, but people rip me saying "oh he's just a kid", "he doesnt know what he's doing".......so hopefully posters dont stoop to HIS level and rip you like that....he is VERY bad news, i dont care what anybody says

I don't have anything against the kid and I really really hope Deion turns him around because his talent should not be wasted. However, I do not want him at FSU because we have had our problems in the past. Fred Rouse was the same exact way Noel is and we all know how that ended here.

Like I said, hopefully Deion will change him for the best, he gets a new shot, and keeps developing into a stud player.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 03:45 AM)
Funny that Noel Devine is brought up. An Illini assistant actually had an in home visit with him yesterday in Florida, and there is a legitimate possibility of him making an official visit to Illinois. And no, I'm not kidding, I couldn't possibly make this s*** up.

That could be really good for you (and I'm not being sarcastic). I know he has a lot of problems, but he needs to get out of state and get away from this situation. Like I said before, hopefully he changes for the best.

Edited by chimpy2121

Pretty big day in Wisconsin football recruiting,

Soft verbal by CJ Peake 4 star safety

Verbal from Aaron Henry 3 star DB

Verbal from Zach Brown 3 star RB (may project to FB)

(Edit)

Add in a verbal from Marion Goins 3 star DB

They also are hoping for Henry's teammate Rolle from Immokalee HS

As of now the Badgers have 2 top backs left that they have a chance at, Dale Martin and John Clay.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
They also are hoping for Henry's teammate Rolle from Immokalee HS

I've heard he's the Gators to lose.

And a little update from before...

Word is that Noel will be going to prep school next year and will continue to be mentored by Deion. He has some growing up to do, but is not a totally bad kid. I hope that he gains the maturity that he needs to go with his athletic skills and is successful somewhere.

Since it is unlikely that he qualifies this or JUCO is a really good option for him.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
Earlier in the season he got suspended for a game and a couple days of school for a fight in school. Recently he is suspended from the state all-star game or something like that and 5 days of school for getting into a "very heated argument" with his coach. Some says punches weren't thrown but that's speculation. Also coming out of people who live in the area, he hangs out with a really bad crowd and some have said he has been caught smoking on recent occasions.

Like you guys said, his videos are simply amazing. However, his attitude and personality is far from it. The head guy over at Warchant said that things have gotten so bad that they are no longer recruiting him.

I don't have anything against the kid and I really really hope Deion turns him around because his talent should not be wasted. However, I do not want him at FSU because we have had our problems in the past. Fred Rouse was the same exact way Noel is and we all know how that ended here.

Like I said, hopefully Deion will change him for the best, he gets a new shot, and keeps developing into a stud player.

That could be really good for you (and I'm not being sarcastic). I know he has a lot of problems, but he needs to get out of state and get away from this situation. Like I said before, hopefully he changes for the best.

Maybe I am off here, but would Deion Sanders taking him in be awfully close to a violation? I can't see Deion not being considered an FSU booster.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
Maybe I am off here, but would Deion Sanders taking him in be awfully close to a violation? I can't see Deion not being considered an FSU booster.

Deion is actually seen as one of his caretaker IIRC.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 07:52 PM)
That's kind of my point. I'm sure there is an explanation, because otherwise it would seem way to blatant. I just don't know what it is.

It might be because his parents died? I'm not really sure.

Deion also helped Hester who was a Hurricane.

Blacksports: Deion Sanders saw your talent last year and reached out to you with the hopes of being your mentor. What has that relationship been like?

Devin: Basically, he was just saying he wants to be an inspiration to my life. Any kind of way he can help out, as far as any questions or any issues I have in football and off the field; feel free to ask him. He just wanted to share his experience with me. He basically has done a great job. It wasn't one specific question that I really had to ask him. Just little questions about football and the game of life. He's shared the trials and tribulations he's been through, and how he's overcome them.

http://www.blacksportsnetwork.com/articles...ster_090305.asp

Chimpy,

What Im hearing on Rolle is as follows:

Henry's youth pastor posts at Wisconsin's Rivals site. He said that he has a "Gut" feeling that Rolle is going to verbal to Wisconsin after Henry did.

On Wisconsin's Scout boards there is a FSU poster, who said:

Upset5377 has inside information, and he is very close with both Rolle and Henry, they go to the same church and he's their youth pastor, and they talk to him about advice and the college life.

If he is giving little hints, don't be surprised if they turn out to be true.

Most are saying its now down to UF and UW, with Miami being a dark horse with the new HC selection.

Would be impressive to take a UF guy out of Florida.