Recruiting Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
I just think it's crazy Zook can recruit that well. I was talking with Willie and we both agree he is just bringing in talent for the next coach.

Zook could sell an eskimo an igloo, best recruiter in the land. And you and Willie are right, and I said this THE DAY he was hired, he's a lousy in game coach, but he's going to load the program with talent for whoever the next guy is, and if they make a good hire with the next guy, the program could go do some things.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
Illinois' big weakness this year defensively is on the D-Line and the Zooker might be getting 3 of the top 5 D-lineman in the nation. That would be f'in sweet.

I disagree. The Illini's biggest weaknesses have been, by far, WR and special teams. If those 2 facets of the team were just below average (instead of awful), 2-7 would be at least 5-4, more likely 6-3.

However, yeah 3 of the top 5 d linemen in the nation would be nice.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
I disagree. The Illini's biggest weaknesses have been, by far, WR and special teams. If those 2 facets of the team were just below average (instead of awful), 2-7 would be at least 5-4, more likely 6-3.

Wait just a minute...

Are you saying constantly dropping passes makes the WR core a weakness?

Depth at WR, to respond to Rex Hudler...yeah, not a problem here,

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
Wait just a minute...

Are you saying constantly dropping passes makes the WR core a weakness?

Depth at WR, to respond to Rex Hudler...yeah, not a problem here,

Well, to be fair, the Illini WR's make up for all the drops by not getting any sort of seperation from the defenders.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 03:12 AM)
It's starting to look like Benn and Austin might be a package deal for Maryland or Illinois.....unless Florida State and their horrible offense and moron offensive coordinator can lure Benn away. Maryland is a big threat though being the local school for those 2, offering immediate PT, and having put quite a few guys in the NFL on defense lately, as well as Friedgen being known as an offensive coach.

One rumor is that Benn did not qualify for early enrollment at ND, and that is the reason that ND has been dropped. Anytime you loss out on the calibur of player of Benn it hurts, however, I think that ND will be fine in the long-run. They already have a commitment from the 5th best WR in the country(according to Rivals), and are 50/50 to land Greg Little the 6th best athlete in the country(will likely play receiver). Plus, with Weis's offense I have little doubt that they will continue to attract attention from top receivers in the future.

Not sure if you are actually saying that Benn and Austin are a package deal or that they would be a nice package if they somehow ended up at the same school, but they have stated for a while they they are NOT a package deal. I still believe that UI chances of landing Austin are very slim to say the least(likely heading to USC or Miami). However, Benn is looking more realistic as the days go by.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)

I said defensivly speaking, but in terms of overall play it would be WR and special teams.

I told you guys a long time ago not to be suprised of Benn ends up at Illinois. Here's another factor in his recruitment.

From Jamie Newberg, Scout.com's main football recruiting analyst.

"In addition, Benn’s best friend is Vontae Davis. Davis is Vernon Davis’s little brother and he’s from Dunbar High School, the home of Benn. Vontae Davis is one of the top freshmen in the country playing cornerback."

"Something tells me we are all going to be a little surprised with Benn’s decision and don’t be surprised if he pulls the shocker of the year and decides on Illinois."

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
One rumor is that Benn did not qualify for early enrollment at ND, and that is the reason that ND has been dropped. Anytime you loss out on the calibur of player of Benn it hurts, however, I think that ND will be fine in the long-run. They already have a commitment from the 5th best WR in the country(according to Rivals), and are 50/50 to land Greg Little the 6th best athlete in the country(will likely play receiver). Plus, with Weis's offense I have little doubt that they will continue to attract attention from top receivers in the future.

Not sure if you are actually saying that Benn and Austin are a package deal or that they would be a nice package if they somehow ended up at the same school, but they have stated for a while they they are NOT a package deal. I still believe that UI chances of landing Austin are very slim to say the least(likely heading to USC or Miami). However, Benn is looking more realistic as the days go by.

#1: Benn is a minimal loss for ND right now. They are recruiting the hell outta things in football.

#2: Benn and Austin aren't a package deal, persay. However things look like they are starting to work out so that as soon as one picks a school, the other will follow him there.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 11:50 PM)
I told you guys a long time ago not to be suprised of Benn ends up at Illinois. Here's another factor in his recruitment.

From Jamie Newberg, Scout.com's main football recruiting analyst.

"In addition, Benn’s best friend is Vontae Davis. Davis is Vernon Davis’s little brother and he’s from Dunbar High School, the home of Benn. Vontae Davis is one of the top freshmen in the country playing cornerback."

"Something tells me we are all going to be a little surprised with Benn’s decision and don’t be surprised if he pulls the shocker of the year and decides on Illinois."

Plus, Illinois also has Travon Bellamy (the guy who had the pick 6 at Wisky last weekend) who is from that area and friends with Vontae and Arrelious.

to the earlier question about why someone would want to play at illinois. rex is correct in identifying playing time and the chance to be a part of a turnaround as a big factor.

for benn, though, i also think that the quarterback situation plays a factor. from all accounts, juice is a pretty dynamic personality in addition to being pretty talented. he's taking his lumps and making mistakes now, but if you watch him, you can see where someone would want to play with him.

i have a friend who plays defensive back for ohio state, and i've asked him about juice. he said from the film he's seen so far, he will be the best quarterback they've played all year. now, that doesn't account for much considering osu hasn't played a murderer's row of quarterbacks, but i thought it was a nice compliment and telling considering juice is a true freshman.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 08:12 AM)
Also when you think about it. Demitrius Jones will probably move to WR now that Jimmy Clausen is on his way here. All I've constantly heard is that Jones is a playmaker.

Does he even want to be a WR though? I thought he was rated higher than Juice as a QB coming out. I wouldn't be suprised if he jumps ship to another school with Claussen coming in. That's just from an outsider's pov though.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
Also when you think about it. Demitrius Jones will probably move to WR now that Jimmy Clausen is on his way here. All I've constantly heard is that Jones is a playmaker.

From what I hear, Jones has been very impressive in practice. Don't be surprised if Jones is the starting QB next year instead of Clausen. Jones is one of the few dual threat QB who actually has a pretty accurate and impressive arm. It should be a hell of a battle for the starting QB job next year. Don't be surprised if you see a transfer. My guess is that Frazier, a four star QB from last year, based on the assumption that Jones is ahead of him on the depth chart and Clausen is coming in. Jones might transfer if he is moved from QB, he stated many times that he wants to be a QB at the college level. If he does lose the starting QB job, I hope that Weis can talk him into moving to another position because this guy is a great athlete and needs to find his way onto the field.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 07:24 AM)
to the earlier question about why someone would want to play at illinois. rex is correct in identifying playing time and the chance to be a part of a turnaround as a big factor.

for benn, though, i also think that the quarterback situation plays a factor. from all accounts, juice is a pretty dynamic personality in addition to being pretty talented. he's taking his lumps and making mistakes now, but if you watch him, you can see where someone would want to play with him.

i have a friend who plays defensive back for ohio state, and i've asked him about juice. he said from the film he's seen so far, he will be the best quarterback they've played all year. now, that doesn't account for much considering osu hasn't played a murderer's row of quarterbacks, but i thought it was a nice compliment and telling considering juice is a true freshman.

The other thing is: Zook, for as poor of an in-game coach he is, he is willing to put the best team on the field, whether that's a senior or a freshman. And, he plays A LOT of players. And keeps them all in the game.

Yes, Illinois has sucked for a long time now, but anyone who watches and knows football can see they aren't that far from being 1) good and 2) the top half of the Big Ten.

Illini footballs biggest weakness is:

1) Special teams. Against Wisconsin I saw one of the worst special teams ever.

2) Zook's coaching ability.

He may be able to recruit, but the game against Wisconsin showed he has no clue how to coach. He let the Badgers off the hook and let a game that Wisconsin had no business winning (after being down so much) slip away.

Illini were definitely outmatched in terms of talent, but with PJ Hill hurting and Stocco cold as ice, you just have to win that game. Although it was a tale of 2 halfs at QB, Stocco playing his worst 1st half of the season and then Juice playing a terrible 2nd half.

?

Illinois could of run the option all day on Wisconsin.

Unexpectedly in the second half Illinois stopped doing it.

Not to mention the fact that Zook decided to start trying to run between the tackles against Wisconsin.

I really dont see how you could say the players lost the game for Illinois, when it was the players who got the big lead, and then it was Zook who started playcalling like Dennis Green.

Edited by Soxbadger

The fact is,

It should of never came down to 1 play. And even if he makes the catch, it still would of only been a 14 point game with plenty of time to go. And I dont think that ends the game 14 points was not insurmountable, not to mention every team wishes there was 1 catch or play that they would of made that could of been a score. Wisconsin kicked plenty of FG's in the second half, and if they would of needed to they would of gone for TD's so its hard to tell whether or not 14 would of stood up over almost 2 quarters.

Wisconsin can not play the option, they can not play against mobile QB's.

In the first half, Juice was going insane because he got to make plays with his feet and his arm. In the second half Zook completely changed the offense and started to go with a "3 yard and a cloud of dust" approach.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/boxscore?gid...&page=plays

Compare the play calling.

In the first half, Juice touches the ball a crazy amount of times.

In the second half, all of a sudden you have a ton of touches by Mendenhall and Thomas.

Maybe Zook doesnt watch game tapes, I dont know. But when they started to run the option I cringed because Wisconsin is terrible against it. When Juice started to do QB scrambles etc, it was screwing with the Badgers defense too.

The second half just was like watching a completely different team, and it was clear Zook was playing "not to lose."

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
The second half just was like watching a completely different team, and it was clear Zook was playing "not to lose."

Agreed and thats something you dont do when you are a 2 win team.

Edited by Spod=Ratings