Recruiting Thread

It goes way beyond that actually, Roe actually committed to Roy Williams and UNC earlier in the year and just wanted to hold off on the announcement until the State playoffs were over. Then suddenly about a week before the announcement he sat down with his parents and magically ended up at MSU.

Edited by Palehosefan

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 17, 2007 -> 06:21 PM)
Master P is a very good player and tried out for a few NBA teams, his son's supposed to be a borderline D-1 talent PG.

s_masterp_i.jpg

Master P played on the Fort Wayne Fury CBA team, before he tried out for the Raptors. Those were some fun times. Damon Bailey was also on the team, and Keith Smart was the head coach.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 17, 2007 -> 12:34 PM)
Weird, I don't know how our name was ever linked to the guy, considering we were struggling to figure out how Deandre Thomas was getting on next year's team.

He was set to visit IU last weekend greasy, but the visit got canceled. I guess with Shaw sticking around and DJ staying, there was no room. I'm sure they were just talking to him as insurance in case one of those two left.

FSU is kicking ass in football right now. We're up to 6 verbals, 5 of 6 from the state of Florida. I know nothing is set in stone this early, but it's nice to see us get some top recruits early in the running rather than the end. Unfortunately, they're all defensive recruits.

Edited by chimpy2121

Another area quarterback headed to Notre Dame

From Times Staff Reports

April 19, 2007

Dayne Crist, a 6-foot-5 junior quarterback from Sherman Oaks Notre Dame who is considered one of the top quarterbacks in Southern California, has committed to Notre Dame.

Crist made an unofficial visit to South Bend, Ind., last week to watch spring football practice. He will be joining a program in which Jimmy Clausen of Westlake Village Oaks Christian is competing for the starting quarterback position this fall as a freshman.

Last week, Crist's teammate, junior linebacker Anthony McDonald, committed to the Fighting Irish. — Eric Sondheimer

Just a rumor for the time being, but Crist announces tonight. Rated by some (Lemming) as the top passing qb in the class, he sounds like another good one from California.

Looks like Weis is trying to become Quarterback U. If Crist is on board, the 2008 team will have 5 scholarship QBs that were all highly rated coming out of HS (4 star or better). I'd be shocked to see no one transfer or change positions once a solid depth chart is set.

Needless to say, this should be the start of a fun weekend for ND football; recruiting news + annual spring game on saturday.

Edited by Fotop

For the Illini guys:

I have heard from impeachable sources that Michael Jordan's boy Jeffery may very well walk-on this year with Weber. He has already been accepted academically and U of I is now awaiting an admission on his part.

If so, that would be kind of fun. Jeffery is an alright basketball player--he is pretty fundamentally sound, but lacks a bit on the talent side of the equation (not even in the same breath as his old man's athleticism at that age).

It's some nice PR and it may give Weber the upper-hand with Marcus Jordan (a four-star SG that actually projects to be of Big Ten caliber). Also, I've heard Weber may have some big names (not necessarily from the 2007 class as the scholarships are pretty well maxed out) on campus in the coming days.

I'll tell you what; he stepped in a pile of s*** with the Gordan thing and may come out smelling like a rose. He put together a whale of a class, all things considered, and may have some surprises in store for 2008 and beyond. I have become a bit more optimistic about the state of Illinois basketball over the past couple of weeks. Keep the good vibes going.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 05:08 PM)
For the Illini guys:

I have heard from impeachable sources that Michael Jordan's boy Jeffery may very well walk-on this year with Weber. He has already been accepted academically and U of I is now awaiting an admission on his part.

If so, that would be kind of fun. Jeffery is an alright basketball player--he is pretty fundamentally sound, but lacks a bit on the talent side of the equation (not even in the same breath as his old man's athleticism at that age).

It's some nice PR and it may give Weber the upper-hand with Marcus Jordan (a four-star SG that actually projects to be of Big Ten caliber). Also, I've heard Weber may have some big names (not necessarily from the 2007 class as the scholarships are pretty well maxed out) on campus in the coming days.

I'll tell you what; he stepped in a pile of s*** with the Gordan thing and may come out smelling like a rose. He put together a whale of a class, all things considered, and may have some surprises in store for 2008 and beyond. I have become a bit more optimistic about the state of Illinois basketball over the past couple of weeks. Keep the good vibes going.

yeah, i've heard the same. there would be nothing bad about this at all.

here's a story: newspaper

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 06:36 PM)
He should probably go to davidson where he'd get significant playing time...

i'm not sure he'd get significant time at davidson, at least next year. that team returns all five starters and a few bench guys.

2008 davidson=2007 butler.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 01:42 PM)
i'm not sure he'd get significant time at davidson, at least next year. that team returns all five starters and a few bench guys.

2008 davidson=2007 butler.

Yeah, I confused myself. The dicussion I was recalling from another board is that it doesn't make sense since, like you said, they have two short SGs in jason richards and stefon curry. Although they've been on him the longest.

Interesting that loyola backed off, but makes sense when they started going after that mccammon kid.

He still looks likes mid-major type in my limited viewings of him, but we shall see. DePaul was mildly interested, but not really worth it.

IIRC, the younger Jordan didn't even start on his high school team this year the game I saw against North Central and when he did get into the game, I saw nothing that warranted 4-star consideration.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
IIRC, the younger Jordan didn't even start on his high school team this year the game I saw against North Central and when he did get into the game, I saw nothing that warranted 4-star consideration.

That's why they're Scout and you aren't.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=169&p=8&a...amp;nid=2431427

What I like about the signing of Alexander is how well rounded the class is. Got one for each position and a couple that can play multiple positions. Plus the fact that Alexander has playing experience so he's not relying on as many freshmen like he did last year.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
I guess if getting minutes in garbage time and getting posterized a couple of times by EJ makes you a 4-star, then he's a 4-star. He's just a 3-star on Rivals, IIRC.

Having watched him, he is certainly legit. He will be no superstar, but trying to put him down by say he's "just a 3 star on Rivals" is just dumb. For starters, Rivals really doesn't update much for classes that are still a few years away. He is ranked as high as in the 30's in other databases. Then making a reference to him against Eric Gordon is idiotic. Pretty much no sophmore is going to be able to keep up with one of the best seniors in the country.

Just look at it this way, he was maybe the best player on a nationally ranked high school basketball team... as a sophomore. He's good, and he going to be able to go to most any school he wants.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 08:18 PM)
Having watched him, he is certainly legit. He will be no superstar, but trying to put him down by say he's "just a 3 star on Rivals" is just dumb. For starters, Rivals really doesn't update much for classes that are still a few years away. He is ranked as high as in the 30's in other databases. Then making a reference to him against Eric Gordon is idiotic. Pretty much no sophmore is going to be able to keep up with one of the best seniors in the country.

Just look at it this way, he wasmaybe the best player on a nationally ranked high school basketball team... as a sophmore. He's good, and he going to be able to go to most any school he wants.

Why wasn't he starting if he's as good as the 30th best sophomore in the country and a 4-star prospect. And there's no way they should have been ranked, they got embarassed by 40 on national TV. High school national rankings by team really mean nothing. I'm not putting the kid down, I'm sure he's a solid player and also a nice kid, but I saw him as well and there's no way he's one of the best sophomores in the country. Maybe he's a top 100 guy down the line, but I basically didn't see much from him at all. Perhaps the snide remark from Addy warranted a snide response.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 07:18 PM)

Just look at it this way, he was maybe the best player on a nationally ranked high school basketball team... as a sophomore. He's good, and he going to be able to go to most any school he wants.

Well done. Well done.

I wouldn't worry. You could drag dogs*** through a pile of cream and crimson and it would be better than the Illini's starting backcourt, right, Boz?

I love you. But, let's ease back on the Kool Aid...I'm worried about all that sugar for you. ;)

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 08:23 PM)
Well done. Well done.

I wouldn't worry. You could drag dogs*** through a pile of cream and crimson and it would be better than the Illini's starting backcourt, right, Boz?

I love you. But, let's ease back on the Kool Aid...I'm worried about all that sugar for you. ;)

This has nothing to do with Illinois or IU. All I'm saying is that the game I saw him play, he didn't start for his team, he didn't do much if anything and they got beat by 40. Why I should be impressed or convinced that he is one of the best sophomores in the land or that he could go anywhere he wants is beyond me. He looked like a normal high school player out there, that's pretty much what I'm saying. Maybe he just had a bad game.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 06:14 PM)
I guess if getting minutes in garbage time and getting posterized a couple of times by EJ makes you a 4-star, then he's a 4-star. He's just a 3-star on Rivals, IIRC.

He was just a sophomore this year right? Isn't that kind of early to figure out how many stars he is worth?

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 07:29 PM)
This has nothing to do with Illinois or IU. All I'm saying is that the game I saw him play, he didn't start for his team, he didn't do much if anything and they got beat by 40. Why I should be impressed or convinced that he is one of the best sophomores in the land or that he could go anywhere he wants is beyond me. He looked like a normal high school player out there, that's pretty much what I'm saying. Maybe he just had a bad game.

Good point. All players should be ranked based on one game played, unless they're indiana recruits.

But in all seriousness, I agree to a point in that he's looked good but not great in the limited times I've seen him.

And rankings this early on should be taken in stride as the national ranking databases have limited information on the younger players, have seen very little of them, the rankings are basically preliminary and not in-depth, and obviously many things change as players go from freshman and sophmores to seniors.