Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 03:12 PM)
Your completely taking that quote out of context, I believe what Fathom was saying:

"the fault should go totally towards the Gordon family, and Sampson doesn't deserve the hate he's received."

Is that SAMPSON is not at fault. It has nothing to do with Weber at all, and I may be wrong on this but I do not believe that Fathom is even an Illini fan.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that fathom is not an illini fan at all (although I think he may have gone there?).

And I probably misread that. But my point still stands that a sizeable contingent of illini fans have expressed that sentiment. Not that they completely absolve weber, but many feel that the way gordon and his family, along with sampson, handled the situation makes him less accountable since the sentiment is that both those parties are dishonest and slimy while weber is not. I just see it as recruiting and weber swinging and missing on a recruit who already had verballed. It may be a problem with his recruiting since it isn't the first big recruit he has missed out on.

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)
He's not blow your socks off quick, but he is deceptive and knows how to turn the corner on most defenders. He is a capable shooter, it's just not anything special. E. Chicago laid off him and almost dared him to shoot it taking away his penetration to create for others, and he struggeled. Good Luck to the Munster kid, and your Blue Demons next year.

Thanks. :)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 08:58 PM)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that fathom is not an illini fan at all (although I think he may have gone there?).

And I probably misread that.

you did. my agreement was that sampson should not be pilloried the way he has been. i think he did what most (all?) coaches would do if presented with a similar scenario. although i think he should have called weber, it's a small point.

the gordon's do deserve some blame in the situation, but that does not absolve bruce of missing out on another high-profile recruit.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 09:55 PM)
you did. my agreement was that sampson should not be pilloried the way he has been. i think he did what most (all?) coaches would do if presented with a similar scenario. although i think he should have called weber, it's a small point.

the gordon's do deserve some blame in the situation, but that does not absolve bruce of missing out on another high-profile recruit.

Yes, I don't believe Sampson deserves any criticism for this situation. Things were in motion for Gordon to go to Indiana well before he declared to go there. All you have to do is read comments from Rose this week about how Gordon was trying to convince him to play at IU with him while on the same AAU team over the summer.

Someone want to update me on what is going on with Beas Hamgas and Iowa recruiting in general (I think tomorrow is the first day where our coaches can actually follow up and make calls into our recruits). I'm also curious to see if we can get any of Butler's 4 star commits (like Howard) to come to Iowa.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 08:48 PM)
Hamga opened his recruitment, I know that.

Ya, I heard he's considering Tenn. It sounded like pretty much everyone opened there committments or at least is considering it (which is understandable).

It figures Alford leaves when he actually has a good recruiting class (something he failed to do well during most of his tenure at Iowa).

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
Also: I really wish my new job didn't have to start Saturday, forcing me to miss the Spring game. Oh well :(

Thanks to the crap cold, the golf course is closed, and I get to go to the game. Woo!

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 10:32 PM)
Someone want to update me on what is going on with Beas Hamgas and Iowa recruiting in general (I think tomorrow is the first day where our coaches can actually follow up and make calls into our recruits). I'm also curious to see if we can get any of Butler's 4 star commits (like Howard) to come to Iowa.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=630304

f***...we lost Beas apparently. At least according to the head guy over at the Rivals Iowa site.

Just great....we upgrade with a new coach but lose out on what would have given us 3 four star players if Smith sticks around (between Gattens, Smith, and Hamga and Hamga gave us the possibility of a couple other 4 star guys).

But we have absolute no talent coming in this year (well not much) unless of course Lick can get a couple of his guys from Butler over to Iowa.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 05:15 PM)
It's good to have the paperwork in there.

no doubt.

on an unrelated non-recruiting note, am1000 is saying that wilson chandler is going pro.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 12:20 PM)
on an unrelated non-recruiting note, am1000 is saying that wilson chandler is going pro.

As is the sun-times: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/33...demon12.article

wscr and channel 7 have too.

I could use a few head-shake smileys right now...

Wow, check this out.

Sam McGuffie Reply

The girl that he is in love with signed with ISU for track. He had told her that he would follow her anywhere, so we may have a shot.

I'm lovin this dream. It is weird how all of a sudden he's got an ISU offer, but still, I can dream, right?