The Great Debate

Texsox

I am putting together a single elimination contest called the Great Debate. Each participant will go head to head on three topics, one involving politics, one religion, and one catch-all, could be anything.

Only those participants will be allowed to respond, and at the end of the debate which will consist of an opening, three intermediary posts, and a closing, soxtalk members will vote to determine the winner based on the substance and style of the debate. Not just if they agree with the position or not.

If you would like to participate as a contestant, shoot me a PM. We will have it here in the filibuster.

If you have any ideas on how to structure this, post them here.

Basically poster A will be against poster B and best 2 out of three win and that poster moves on to round two, and so forth until we have a winner. Questions will be selected by me.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
how will the questions be selected? Potentially a topic might be agreed upon by both posters.

To keep the focus on debate and civility, I may assign the side of the debate. This takes the emphasis out of opinion and into style. Nothing like having Jim debate Kap on if Bush's policies are making America safer and Jim having yes and Kap no. I will also try and create a debate where each person is normally of the different opinion.

Yes, I will try and stage some interesting matches, like Kobe and Shaq playing on Christmas Day. :D

I am writing up a 1st draft of the rules. One guiding thought I have is taking opinion out of this a bit and replacing it with civil disagreement and showing good communication skills.

I need to figure out how to limit the word count, how much time to give for each post, etc. I am also considering dropping the religion idea, although it may be in the catch all category and adding world events.

Here is my current plan.

Round One.

I will select a topic and each player will have 24 hours to reply with an opening statement.

Then they will have a chance to ask each other two questions. Asked one at a time, and will have an opportunity to respond to each answer. All replies will be limited to 500 words. Icons, emoticons, etc, we count as one word. Pictures (this is the internet) will set you back 100 words.

After the conclusion of the Q&A, each person will be allowed 24 hours to write a closing. I will add a poll to the debate and posters will have an opportunity to vote on the winner. I also have two people selected to vote. The three votes will determine who moves on to round two and who gets to flame me for weeks.

The first topic will not be "hot", but the finals probably will. Plagerism, person attacks, etc. will result in a lose and possible suspensions. All normal and customary ST rules apply.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
Curious here... Are we on our own, or are we resourcing for answers?  Personally if it is looking up other peoples resources, I am not much interested in this.  If it is something that is based on our own knowledge and opinions then I am in.

It will be your opinion, but wouldn't any great debate involve some backing up of data, if that is making your point? I suspect that the judges will be looking at your sources, and if they are some fringe wacko web site, you may lose points, if they are respectful, you may gain points. Of they are "books you have at home", then you may not make round 2.

Since there will be a possibility you may both agree, you will have to find someway, like a good candidate for office, to try and differentiate yourself.

If I structure the question and give people sides, I think it takes away from the format. I did consider that.

Let me give an example of a possible round one question.

Local, State, and National governments support the arts through grants, public art projects, and other expenditures. With rising government debt, is this a good use of tax dollars?

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
Oh geez, we're getting called out by a chick in a bee suit wearing a crown on her head.  Soxtalk has reached a new low....

:P

Don't make me sting you W&O..... :whip

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
It will be your opinion, but wouldn't any great debate involve some backing up of data, if that is making your point? I suspect that the judges will be looking at your sources, and if they are some fringe wacko web site, you may lose points, if they are respectful, you may gain points. Of they are "books you have at home", then you may not make round 2.

Since there will be a possibility you may both agree, you will have to find someway, like a good candidate for office, to try and differentiate yourself.

If I structure the question and give people sides, I think it takes away from the format. I did consider that.

Eh, count me out then... Sounds to much like who can use Google the quickest and most effectively.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
Eh, count me out then... Sounds to much like who can use Google the quickest and most effectively.

I wouldn't say that. Just because someone can find some obscure quote or stat, that doesn't mean they have a clue what they are talking about. I'd guess that the judges will bear in mind that a string of HTML tags does not a good argument make.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
I wouldn't say that.  Just because someone can find some obscure quote or stat, that doesn't mean they have a clue what they are talking about. I'd guess that the judges will bear in mind that a string of HTML tags does not a good argument make.

You can say that again...