The Great Debate

Texsox

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:52 AM)
OK, got it.

As for the exhibition round, Tex and Kap, here ya go:

Dick York or Dick Sargent - who was the REAL Darrin Stephens?

:lolhitting

I'm uneducated about that topic. But, that genie, she was hot.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
Round 1 will be:

Group A: FlaSoxxJim vs. NorthSideSox72

Group B: Sox4lifeinPA vs. Wong&Owens

Group C: Rex Kickass vs. Sam Clemens

Group D: mreye vs. whitesoxin'

Round 2 will be

Winner of A vs. Winner of D

Winner of B vs. Winner of C

Round 3 will be for the meaningless title.

Again here is the format.

I will create threads for each of the 4 debates. Hopefully other posters will not post in the thread, if they do, it will be moved.

Each poster will have 24 hours to post an opening statement.

After both posters have posted an opening statement, they will ask one question of the other poster. After answering, they may make a rebutal statement.

After each poster has asked, answered, and rebutted one question, they may ask another.

After the second question, they will have 24 hours to post a closing statement.

Posts will be limited to 500 words or less. Grammer, civility, clarity of thought, persuasivness, will all count, since this is about opinion, no value will be placed on if the judges agree with your opinion or not. Icons will count as 1 word, pictures 100 words.

Two human judges will vote and the readers will also have a vote.

Any questions?

Yes, can we clean up this thread (or start a new one) and have just the "rules" in a single pinned thread?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
Also, never trust a woman without a navel.  :D

Once both sides have made opening posts, please post your questions. After they are answered, you may offer a rebuttal.

Tex-

I'm a little confused on the Q&A portion. In my debate, after the opening statements were made, Flaxx asked his first question. Then I asked mine. Is that how it goes? We each ask one, each answer, each respond? Then onto question 2? Or was I supposed to answer Flaxx first, then he responds to my answer, then I ask MY first question?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)
Tex-

I'm a little confused on the Q&A portion.  In my debate, after the opening statements were made, Flaxx asked his first question.  Then I asked mine.  Is that how it goes?  We each ask one, each answer, each respond?  Then onto question 2?  Or was I supposed to answer Flaxx first, then he responds to my answer, then I ask MY first question?

I was thinking they would be asked concurrently and have both asked before answering. Perhaps with the second question the order of asking could be reversed, in case there is a built in advantage I don't see.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
Posts will be limited to 500 words or less. Grammer, civility, clarity of thought, persuasivness, will all count, since this is about opinion, no value will be placed on if the judges agree with your opinion or not. Icons will count as 1 word, pictures 100 words.

Two human judges will vote and the readers will also have a vote.

Any questions?

:headshake

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)
Tex is disqualified as a judge.

:D

That is why I enlisted the help of an English teacher. :P Knowing and using resources, it is a key leadership tool they teach us in Boy Scouts.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
I was thinking they would be asked concurrently and have both asked before answering. Perhaps with the second question the order of asking could be reversed, in case there is a built in advantage I don't see.

Yeah, you guys both have it figured out better than I. I was thinking the flow should be respond and then ask in the same post, but that is probably too loose to follow. I gues we should be trying to pretty much follow:

Opening Statement A

Opening Statement B

First Question B to A

First Question A to B

Response A to B

Response B to A . . .

Rinse, Repeat. . .

Closing Statement A

Closing Statement B

Even I shhould be able to stick pretty close to that. :D

I like what you've done with the whole Filibuster idea but sadly to say I have no time to devote to this. :cry: I'm mostly a homework slave for my kids these days.

Are you open to suggestions? I wanted to respond to the arts debate but that was a closed debate. Could we create open offshoots from those threads?

I wanted to challenge FlaSoxxJim with recent developments of private funding, sponsorship, & investment in the traditional arts (opera, dance, orchestra's, parade bands, etc.) as well as the more controversial & alternative arts.

I likewise wanted to challenge the need to support an art student who feels a need to produce controversial & offensive art pcs backed by federal dollars when there are aspiring art students in need of those dollars for using their talent in a productive & non-offensive way.

And finally I wanted to challenge FSJ with the simple fact that CGI has changed the way the world views visual art altogether. It's no longer a hobby. When you measure it's impact on Hollywood & the gaming industry it's an industry that approaches nearly $100 Billion USD a year in sales revenue. With so much of the private sector behind the visual arts sector these days there doesn't seem much reason to throw federal support behind fringe elements that show no promise of adding to the GDP with their talents.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
I like what you've done with the whole Filibuster idea but sadly to say I have no time to devote to this.  :cry:

Are you open to suggestions?  I so wanted to respond to the arts debate but that was a closed debate.  Could we create open offshoots from those threads?

I wanted to challenge FlaSoxxJim with recent developments of private funding, sponsorship, & investment in the traditional arts (opera, dance, orchestra's, parade bands, etc.) as well as the more controversial & alternative arts. 

I likewise wanted to challenge the need to support an art student who feels a need to produce controversial & offensive art pcs backed by federal dollars when there are aspiring art students in need of those dollars for using their talent in a productive & non-offensive way. 

And finally I wanted to challenge FSJ with the simple fact that CGI as changed the way the world views visual art altogether.  It's no longer a hobby.  When you measure it's impact on Hollywood & the gaming industry it's an industry that approaches nearly 100 Billion a year in sales revenue.  With so much of the private sector behind the visual arts sector these days there does seem much reason to throw federal support behind fringe elements that show no promise of adding to the GDP with their talents.

There is a debate offshoot thread.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
Sorry, I just didn't have the time to look for it.  Can you include a link to that thread in the main debate thread?  Thanks.

Here's the link:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45759

And I'm not ignoring the points and challenges you brought up. Indeed, I anticipated they might have come to the fore in the present discussion between Mr. NorthSide and myself, but that conversation has taken a different tack. I am going to refrain from engaging in a new discussion until the other one is played out, but I look forward to exploring the other facets of te debate with you. You may even be suprised at some of the opinions I have about the politico-artistic legacy/baggage of Andres Serrano et al.

Until then, :drink

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
Flaxx and I have completed our debate.

I just wanted to say thank you to Jim for an excellent debate.  You sir are very well read, and a pleasure to argue with.

:cheers

:lol:

You sir, are a pain in the ass, I mean, a pleasure to argue with. :bang

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
Flaxx and I have completed our debate.

I just wanted to say thank you to Jim for an excellent debate.  You sir are very well read, and a pleasure to argue with.

:cheers

The respect is mutual. That was enjoyable, even if it seemed like doing homework at times. :D

Now, the real question is who is the true winner in this: the guy that gets to take a break and catch up on real work and such, or the guy tat has to strap it down and do it again?!? :P

First round winners:

FlaSoxxJim

mreye

Wong & Owens

All debates were close. They were very enjoyable to read. The English Major / Teacher I lined up was impressed by many of the posts.

We will give Rex and Sam a couple days to wrap up and get round two underway. I will have a short survey going out to the winners to help in selecting a second round question. If any posters have any ideas, please PM them to me.

Round 2 will be FlaSoxxJim vs. mreye and Wong & Owens vs. Winner

Good luck.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
First round winners:

FlaSoxxJim

mreye

Wong & Owens

All debates were close. They were very enjoyable to read. The English Major / Teacher I lined up was impressed by many of the posts.

We will give Rex and Sam a couple days to wrap up and get round two underway. I will have a short survey going out to the winners to help in selecting a second round question. If any posters have any ideas, please PM them to me.

Round 2 will be FlaSoxxJim vs. mreye and Wong & Owens vs. Winner

Good luck.

My hat is off to FlaSoxxJim on a good debate. I'm thinking he's headed for a championship.

Tex, I'll be sure to PM you some topic ideas.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
My hat is off to FlaSoxxJim on a good debate.  I'm thinking he's headed for a championship.

Tex, I'll be sure to PM you some topic ideas.

ONLY if Mr. Eye makes a fatal tactical error and tries to argue that stupid Marvel Superheroes would win. NO WAY, BABY! :P

And I would have been quite happy to see you get the nod. As Kap can attest, I'm just not much for arguing on message boards.