The Great Debate

Texsox

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
Eh, count me out then... Sounds to much like who can use Google the quickest and most effectively.

How do you google your opinion? Backing your opinion with well researched facts would actually be a nice change around here. There won't be a right or wrong answer. The questions will be structured in a way that someone will have to state their opinion and back it up, isn't that what a debate is?

Last call for debaters. So far I have: Looks like we are full.

NorthSideSox72

FlaSoxxJim

Sox4lifeinPA

Wong&Owens

Rex Kickass

mreye

whitesoxin'

SamClemens

I enlisted an English teacher, someone who has not posted here, to judge. She will be looking at grammer, how well the posts are structured, clarity of thought, etc. The second human is a poster here, and will be looking at civility, clearness of thought, and how well the posts reflect desired Soxtalk. Poster votes will be the third vote.

Edited by Texsox

I am on my schools debate team, so count me in.

As for the structure of this debate, the way to do it is *flip a coin* and then that decides who gets to choose first. The two choices are either choose when you want to speak (first or second) or choose what side you want to take on the resolution. (affirmative or negative). I'm not sure how we can flip a coin on the internet, but that is up to Tex. This is how we do it at competitions. Also, it can't be a debate without evidence. 500 words is a good limit for the opening round, because my opening speeches in debate are usually around 700-800 words and that's a four minute speech.

Edited by whitesoxin'

Round 1 will be:

Group A: FlaSoxxJim vs. NorthSideSox72

Group B: Sox4lifeinPA vs. Wong&Owens

Group C: Rex Kickass vs. Sam Clemens

Group D: mreye vs. whitesoxin'

Round 2 will be

Winner of A vs. Winner of D

Winner of B vs. Winner of C

Round 3 will be for the meaningless title.

Again here is the format.

I will create threads for each of the 4 debates. Hopefully other posters will not post in the thread, if they do, it will be moved.

Each poster will have 24 hours to post an opening statement.

After both posters have posted an opening statement, they will ask one question of the other poster. After answering, they may make a rebutal statement.

After each poster has asked, answered, and rebutted one question, they may ask another.

After the second question, they will have 24 hours to post a closing statement.

Posts will be limited to 500 words or less. Grammer, civility, clarity of thought, persuasivness, will all count, since this is about opinion, no value will be placed on if the judges agree with your opinion or not. Icons will count as 1 word, pictures 100 words.

Two human judges will vote and the readers will also have a vote.

Any questions?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
Since the threads are already out there, has the 24 hours started?

Yes, but I think we may need to be loose with the first round of posts because I didn't set a starting time.

Jim,

In this round, I am allowing each person to state their personal opinion. I am hoping with the question round some differences will emerge. I also picked a question that shouldn't be too hot. The second round will heat up.

I'll debate Kap in an exhibition. Someone pick a topic/question.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
Jim,

In this round, I am allowing each person to state their personal opinion. I am hoping with the question round some differences will emerge. I also picked a question that shouldn't be too hot. The second round will heat up.

I'll debate Kap in an exhibition. Someone pick a topic/question.

OK, got it.

As for the exhibition round, Tex and Kap, here ya go:

Dick York or Dick Sargent - who was the REAL Darrin Stephens?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
OK, waitasec, I'm missing something.  Have we been told which side were supposed to take, pro or con, in this first question.  I see the question thread but no indication of which direction I am supposed to argue.

I was wondering the same thing. Could be a really boring debate if you and I are on the same side of the table. :D

I'm not really interested in doing it, I prefere a natural debate instead of a set up one, I'm really bad with set up ones for some reason. But wouldn't it be easier if it was in a chat room, that way people wouldn't have as much time to think about stuff and it'd be more like a live debate? Who knows though, I'm not in it so I shouldn't really worry about it.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
I'm not really interested in doing it, I prefere a natural debate instead of a set up one, I'm really bad with set up ones for some reason. But wouldn't it be easier if it was in a chat room, that way people wouldn't have as much time to think about stuff and it'd be more like a live debate? Who knows though, I'm not in it so I shouldn't really worry about it.

A live chat debate would be a great event.