Molly Ivans - as liberal as they come...

kapkomet

You know what, though? This column hits right on the point. If the MAJORITY of Americans believe in something, STAND UP FOR IT.

I TOTALLY disagree with Molly on just about every issue, but this column is DEAD ON.

Say no to Hillary

If this happened, at least the debate would be about issues. And that's what it is about.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
You know what, though?  This column hits right on the point.  If the MAJORITY of Americans believe in something, STAND UP FOR IT.

I TOTALLY disagree with Molly on just about every issue, but this column is DEAD ON.

Say no to Hillary

If this happened, at least the debate would be about issues.  And that's what it is about.

Excellent read. I also agree with pretty much everything she said.

The Dems won't win by pandering, moving right or trying to dig out a state or two in the south. They'll win if they capitalize on the mistakes the current administration is making (which they have sort of started to do), and taking a real stand (instead of just complaining and then wandering aimlessly).

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
You know what, though?  This column hits right on the point.  If the MAJORITY of Americans believe in something, STAND UP FOR IT.

Say no to Hillary

If this happened, at least the debate would be about issues.  And that's what it is about.

I just saw Vegas put odds on this actually happening.

1-4...not so good.

What kind of courage does it take, for mercy's sake? The majority of the American people (55 percent) think the war in Iraq is a mistake and that we should get out. The majority (65 percent) of the American people want single-payer health care and are willing to pay more taxes to get it. The majority (86 percent) of the American people favor raising the minimum wage. The majority of the American people (60 percent) favor repealing Bush's tax cuts, or at least those that go only to the rich. The majority (66 percent) wants to reduce the deficit not by cutting domestic spending, but by reducing Pentagon spending or raising taxes.

The majority (77 percent) thinks we should do "whatever it takes" to protect the environment. The majority (87 percent) thinks big oil companies are gouging consumers and would support a windfall profits tax. That is the center, you fools. WHO ARE YOU AFRAID OF?

That's all fine and dandy, but the people that answer these polls aren't the same ones that actually show up and vote.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
What kind of courage does it take, for mercy's sake? The majority of the American people (55 percent) think the war in Iraq is a mistake and that we should get out. The majority (65 percent) of the American people want single-payer health care and are willing to pay more taxes to get it. The majority (86 percent) of the American people favor raising the minimum wage. The majority of the American people (60 percent) favor repealing Bush's tax cuts, or at least those that go only to the rich. The majority (66 percent) wants to reduce the deficit not by cutting domestic spending, but by reducing Pentagon spending or raising taxes.

The majority (77 percent) thinks we should do "whatever it takes" to protect the environment. The majority (87 percent) thinks big oil companies are gouging consumers and would support a windfall profits tax. That is the center, you fools. WHO ARE YOU AFRAID OF?

Damn, I am 1-7. Guess I am very much the minority, according to her stats.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
And the most interesting part, IMO, is she is saying that the current "leaders" of the Democratic party cannot and will not get it done.

The current "leaders" of the Democratic party are nutcases like Nancy Pelosi and Howard Dean. Why they're putting such people in powerful, high-profile positions is beyond me.

Despite what Dick Morris thinks, I don't see Hillary being able to win. She has waaay too many skeletons in her closet and too many moderates dislike her. They'd be better off with a moderate like Lieberman or Bayh.

Edited by WCSox

After reading some of the things Ivins has said in the past about Israel, I am surprised you give her the time of day.

I do not regularly read her columns...I have a friend who emails me the Bush-related columns.

Most of the "lefties" seem to dislike Israel...I guess that's the nature of the beast.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
That's all fine and dandy, but the people that answer these polls aren't the same ones that actually show up and vote.

People get scared when they vote. I remember hearing, I think during the '96 election, that people would rather stay with the status quo, regardless of party, for a second term. Not because they magically started to like that candidate, but because they don't like change.