Bears To Target Randle El

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
And your point?  They both played crappy schedules.  They both played crappy defenses.  I think Leinart did better against his crappy defenses than Young.

And before you reply with QB ratings, think of Grossman and Orton's QB ratings, and what the truth is behind them.

If you look at palehousefan's post(thanks for finding that info) you see that Texas played some pretty good defenses. USC played mediocre to bad defenses. I admit they helped skew those numbers, but no way in hell that a team would just from 34 to 13 if USC didn't play them. They probably knocked them behind 3 spots or so.

Against those nice defenses:

GAME 2 Texas 25, Ohio State 22

GAME 10 Texas 66, Kansas 14

GAME 5 Texas 45, Oklahoma 12

GAME 7 Texas 52, Texas Tech 17

GAME 12 Texas 70, Colorado 3

GAME 4 Texas 51, Missouri 20

GAME 9 Texas 62, Baylor 0

USC:

Sep 17 Arkansas Won 70-17

Nov 19 Fresno St. Won 50-42

Sep 24 @Oregon Won 45-13

Oct 15 @Notre Dame Won 34-31

NEXT ARGUMENT!

Edited by nitetrain8601

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
Texas schedule: OSU 5th ranked D, Kansas was 11th in the nation in defense, Oklahoma 13th, TT 30th, Colorado 41st, Missouri 50th, Baylor 63rd.

USC schedule: Arkansas 34th, Fresno State 38th, Oregon 44th, Cal 46th, ND 75th.

And yet those numbers are also rather skewed. For example, Texas Tech played I-AA teams. Does that mean they really had a great defense? No. It just means their defense could dominate a team in I-AA. Also, Oklahoma's stat is likely the end of the year number, correct? When Texas played them, Oklahoma was struggling a lot. They really picked it up towards the end of the year.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
And yet those numbers are also rather skewed.  For example, Texas Tech played I-AA teams.  Does that mean they really had a great defense?  No.  It just means their defense could dominate a team in I-AA.  Also, Oklahoma's stat is likely the end of the year number, correct?  When Texas played them, Oklahoma was struggling a lot.  They really picked it up towards the end of the year.

That's a really weak argument. The numbers are skewed by maybe 3 slots both ways. That still doesn't even it out in the slightest bit. USC didn't face a defense until Texas and they lost against that team. Texas had faced good defenses throughout the year, and your argument is that Vince Young faced weak defenses in college and he wouldn't be able to do what he did in college, against the NFL, whereas Leinart would translate better due to facing better competition in college which isn't the case. If that's not the argument, please tell me what it is.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
That's a really weak argument. The numbers are skewed by maybe 3 slots both ways. That still doesn't even it out in the slightest bit. USC didn't face a defense until Texas and they lost against that team. Texas had faced good defenses throughout the year, and your argument is that Vince Young faced weak defenses in college and he wouldn't be able to do what he did in college, against the NFL, whereas Leinart would translate better due to facing better competition in college which isn't the case. If that's not the argument, please tell me what it is.

So you don't think playing easier teams affects defensive stats? Supposed the Bears played the Colts, and let up 24 points, while the Saints played the 49ers, and shut them out. Then, the Bears let up 20 points to the Seahawks, while the Saints shut out the Texans. Then, the Bears let up 24 points to the Bronocs, while the Saints let up 3 points to the Titans. Since the Saints let up less points, are they a better defense? Or can you not truely tell because the Bears had to play really good offensive teams, while the Saints played push overs?

The same can be said about the college defensive stats previously mentioned.

And this debate really isn't going anywhere. I don't think you'll change my mind, and I highly doubt I'll change your mind, so this is rather pointless.

Edited by Felix

You want to take TT off the rankings, fine. I'll take Fresno State off the rankings, afterall they played powerhouses such as Weber State, New Mexico State, Utah State, Idaho, and San Jose State.

You can say any numbers are skewed as about 90% of college football teams play a very weak early season schedule. Vince Young had the best pass efficiency in college football, and actually put up better passing numbers than Jay Cutler. He also put up 42 less rushing yards for his career than Reggie Bush. Is he a polished passing QB? Hardly. But he's shown the ability to check down receivers and even find his tight end. He's also shown a wonderful ability to take what the defense gives him. When USC backed off of the line to stop the pass, he beat them with his feet, when they stacked the line, he found receivers.

My favorite attribute of his besides his leadership and charisma, is his ability at 6'5 235 pounds to make defenders miss. That will help him with his health, as he doesn't take many full body shots because he's quick enough to adjust right before the hit.

What about 1 degree of seperation.

Texas and USC played 2 teams which then played eachother;

Texas played OSU at OSU.

USC played ND at ND.

On a neutral field OSU beat ND.

Vince Young versus OSU:

Passing: 18/29 270 9.3 2 2

Rushing: 20 76 3.8 0 32

Leinart Versus ND:

Passing: 17/32 301 9.4 0 2

Rushing: 6 -11 -1.8 1 2

Now lets look at how the OSU QB faired against ND:

Troy Smith 19/28 342 12.2 2

Rushing: 13 66 5.1 0 15

And the ND QB:

Brady Quinn 29/45 286 6.4 0 0

Rushing: 10 -32 -3.2 0 5

I think its fair to say that OSU is a superior defensive team to ND. I also think its fair to say that Young did better against the OSU defense than Leinart did against the ND defense.

Now if you look at what Smith did to ND, and imagine what a Vince Young would have done, I just dont get it.

Big 12 > Pac 10 and Im not a Big 12 fan either.

In the end, Young put up similar numbers to Quinn and he did it at the horseshoe. Kiper is predicting Quinn to be the #1 pick next year, so basically Young out performed the guy Kiper thinks is the best QB next year.

Leinart was out performed by Smith, albeit a neutral field. The statistic that strikes me is that Leinart who is supposed to be one of the most accurate passers, actually had a worse incomplete/completion ratio than Troy Smith, some one who is generally considered erratic.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
You want to take TT off the rankings, fine. I'll take Fresno State off the rankings, afterall they played powerhouses such as Weber State, New Mexico State, Utah State, Idaho, and San Jose State.

You can say any numbers are skewed as about 90% of college football teams play a very weak early season schedule. Vince Young had the best pass efficiency in college football, and actually put up better passing numbers than Jay Cutler. He also put up 42 less rushing yards for his career than Reggie Bush. Is he a polished passing QB? Hardly. But he's shown the ability to check down receivers and even find his tight end. He's also shown a wonderful ability to take what the defense gives him. When USC backed off of the line to stop the pass, he beat them with his feet, when they stacked the line, he found receivers.

My favorite attribute of his besides his leadership and charisma, is his ability at 6'5 235 pounds to make defenders miss. That will help him with his health, as he doesn't take many full body shots because he's quick enough to adjust right before the hit.

Great post.

Oh, and reason Vince Young was considered a "running QB" is because of a certain play in the Texas Playbook that was essentially thier bread and butter. The Zone Read play where he could basically keep it or give it to a guy whos just as fast as him in Ramonce Taylor.

Young doesnt act like a running QB when he drops back to pass. Sits very calmly in the pocket.

• 3 weeks later...
WR/KR Antwaan Randle El's family wants him to sign with the Bears.

"Certainly my family members want me to come here and play here. Also my friends and those who are involved in marketing and that sort of thing," the Chicago-are native Randle El said. The Patriots and Redskins will also be in the running for the talented wideout.

Source:  Chicago Tribune

Wide receiver/kick returner Antwaan Randle El, who is a hot free-agent commodity coveted by many teams including the Bears, told a church group Sunday that he is asking God whether he should stay with the Super Bowl champion Steelers or go to another NFL team. "I am not sure if this is where God wants me to continue to be or if he wants me to go elsewhere," he said. "I just have to keep praying about it." The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said Randle El also talked about a custom started this season by about a dozen team members: a weekly Bible study. "We take 20 or 30 minutes and give time to God," he said. "The Bible is the game plan of life," he said, saying the midweek Bible study was a new addition this season.

Source: Chicago Tribune

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
I just hope we dont overpay for him.... he isnt that great of a reciever....

He's a fine reciever, and his abilities as a KR/PR are extremely underrated. He's also a valuable piece for any trick play, although its unlikely the Bears would run many of those.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
That made me laugh a bit.  I know it's not funny and he's a religious person, I just got a giggle out of that.

Same here. But after all, God (if he exists, something I don't belive is true, but wrong place/wrong time) is a Bears fan. Why else would he make them superior to all teams?

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 02:18 AM)
He's a fine reciever, and his abilities as a KR/PR are extremely underrated.  He's also a valuable piece for any trick play, although its unlikely the Bears would run many of those.

He is an avg. reciever a good number 3..... He is a good KR/PR though but I wouldnt say he is underrated in that regard he does get a lot of attention....Id say his biggest contribution on offense is the trick plays but we arent going to run nearly as many as Pittsburgh does.