I drove past the Cell today

UC76

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
Someone should bring up the question during Soxfest. It baffles me that they cannot replace the seats in one offseason while teams build half a stadium in that time. Hell, we changed the roof of the UD at the Cell in one offseason.

They have an in house crew doing it to save money.There is also talk of angling the seats down the right and left field lines. That takes a little more work.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
Well Detroit has s***ty weather from what I've heard.

Comerica took a little over 2 years to build. It didnt happen over an off-season. I agree that the seats are taking a little longer than you would think to replace, but the Sox are doing so many little things at the same time, I think they are just spacing out the work.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
"This is a problem. Too many people want to compare us to the Cubs. Far too many White Sox fans do this too. How is it "Cubbie"? In fact, the Cubs have green seats. Isn't putting in green seats, far more "Cubbie."

There you go making sense again.

:D

I like the green seats and I also do my share of complaining about things having to do with the Sox, but sometimes I just can't find the logic in people's complaints.

All right. To each his own. However, I do shake my head when I hear talk of what is so "Cubbie". I thought baseball was about summer, peanuts, the smell of the grass, hot dogs, and a lazy tune playing on the organ. Over the past 20 years, the Cubs have convinced the world that they invented the baseball experience. I even heard some 20-something at work who went to her first Sox game act surprised that they played the "Cubs song" at a Sox game. The name of the song, you ask? Take Me Out to the Ballgame.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
Comerica took a little over 2 years to build.  It didnt happen over an off-season.  I agree that the seats are taking a little longer than you would think to replace, but the Sox are doing so many little things at the same time, I think they are just spacing out the work.

Ford Field. And even with Comerica, they built 1/4th of the stadium in an offseason. That's still alot.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
This is a problem. Too many people want to compare us to the Cubs. Far too many White Sox fans do this too. How is it "Cubbie"? In fact, the Cubs have green seats. Isn't putting in green seats, far more "Cubbie."

Agreed. We were one of the only teams in the league with blue seats, now because the park didnt get the media approval during the 2003 All-Star game, they felt it was time to get back to the copy-cat method and try to look like everyone else, esp Wrigley. That was evident with the ivy.... The blue seats were something that made the Cell unique with the new ballparks. I felt they looked great, but oh well, I guess we'll see how much darker it will get.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
Agreed.  We were one of the only teams in the league with blue seats, now because the park didnt get the media approval during the 2003 All-Star game, they felt it was time to get back to the copy-cat method and try to look like everyone else, esp Wrigley.  That was evident with the ivy.... The blue seats were something that made the Cell unique with the new ballparks.  I felt they looked great, but oh well, I guess we'll see how much darker it will get.

Come on, the green seats make it feel more like a ballpark. DO you remember when the damn OF walls were blue? The place looked like a steel mill. It looks better with more ballpark friendly colors and tones. With more brick, green, black, the place looks sharper.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
Come on, the green seats make it feel more like a ballpark.  DO you remember when the damn OF walls were blue?  The place looked like a steel mill.  It looks better with more ballpark friendly colors and tones.  With more brick, green, black, the place looks sharper.

Petco doen't feel like a true ballpark? I honestly don't like the green seats, but so many damn people complained about them for years. I think the ballpark would've looked great with just a darker shade of blue seats.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
Petco doen't feel like a true ballpark? I honestly don't like the green seats, but so many damn people complained about them for years. I think the ballpark would've looked great with just a darker shade of blue seats.

Petco wasnt nearly as badly designed as the first version of US CEllular, hence all of the changes that have taken place. You can compare ballparks all day if you would like, the original US Cellular mold wasnt copied for several reasons.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)

If they would have replaced those blue seats with a darker blue, and nicer seats, I wouldnt have a problem with it. But those old blue seats were bad for the park, because they totally stand out in the background when noone is in them. The Sox were having problems keeping butts in the seats the past couple years, and didnt want to give away an appearance of an empty stadium. It makes sense to switch to darker seats if you think that they planned this a while ago.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
Come on, the green seats make it feel more like a ballpark.  DO you remember when the damn OF walls were blue?  The place looked like a steel mill.  It looks better with more ballpark friendly colors and tones.  With more brick, green, black, the place looks sharper.

I think people complaining about them was moreso stemming from frustrations that the seats were not filled with fans. Now obviously, many of us could care less if there was 4 people or 40,000. But lets be honest, there has been a lot of coverage especially in the past few years since the All-Star game about our inconsistent attendance, I will agree that the stadium is looking sharper and sharper with each offseason gone by, this is the benefit we recieve from selling the naming rights to U.S. Cellular, and as nice as the changes are in efforts to make the ballpark a more inviting and natural experience is fine, I just don't feel the Sox had to go to such extremes to make people notice the park or better yet, compliment it. We didnt have to turn the park into Wrigley to get people to come out, and I think it may have took our success to realize that. KW and Jerry have always been under the mindset in the past that IF people come out to the park, then they will build a team, meanwhile while trying to create a family atmosphere so that people would come. Rennovations have been steady since 2002, but not until this past year when they built the team did people come out, now we are on a waiting list for season tickets. I know its digging deep, but it all has a play in the grand scheme of things.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
I think people complaining about them was moreso stemming from frustrations that the seats were not filled with fans. 

If you remember, the season after they built the new stadium, the trend went towards retro ballparks. New Comiskey is credited with this movement because alot of people realized how terrible the "futuristic" trend looked. There were no parks built in its mold since it opened.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 09:12 PM)
Agreed.  We were one of the only teams in the league with blue seats, now because the park didnt get the media approval during the 2003 All-Star game, they felt it was time to get back to the copy-cat method and try to look like everyone else, esp Wrigley.  That was evident with the ivy.... The blue seats were something that made the Cell unique with the new ballparks.  I felt they looked great, but oh well, I guess we'll see how much darker it will get.

Do you even know who placed the Ivy at Wrigley to begin with?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
Petco wasnt nearly as badly designed as the first version of US CEllular, hence all of the changes that have taken place.  You can compare ballparks all day if you would like, the original US Cellular mold wasnt copied for several reasons.

I didn't say the renovations were bad, just the seats. Yes, the original US Cellular as a whole wasn't eyecandy to many, but with the renovations given, the blue seats fit nicely IMO. Darker ones would've been better though.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
I didn't say the renovations were bad, just the seats. Yes, the original US Cellular as a whole wasn't eyecandy to many, but with the renovations given, the blue seats fit nicely IMO. Darker ones would've been better though.

Green ones look better with the black piping and the green walls. Dark blue does not match either of those.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)
Green ones look better with the black piping and the green walls.  Dark blue does not match either of those.

Dark blue does match black piping. Hell, even pink matches black piping. As far as the wall goes, the wall could've been left black and dark blue like in 2003 or changed to a complete dark blue color.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
Dark blue does match black piping. Hell, even pink matches black piping. As far as the wall goes, the wall could've been left black and dark blue like in 2003 or changed to a complete dark blue color.

Dark blue and black do not go together dude. Green and black, and green and green go together. Not to mention its a shout to the lineage of old comiskey.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
Dark blue and black do not go together dude.  Green and black, and green and green go together.  Not to mention its a shout to the lineage of old comiskey.

Black and dark blue do not go together? I disagree strongly. Black goes with anything. It's the universal color. I shall photoshop a pic of the Cell with dark blue seats and you shall see.