I drove past the Cell today

UC76

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
Black and dark blue do not go together? I disagree strongly. Black goes with anything. It's the universal color. I shall photoshop a pic of the Cell with dark blue seats and you shall see.

You need a color consultant. Black does not go with navy blue. Just ask these guys

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't dislike the blue seats, I definitely prefer the green. I don't think many complained about the blue seats because it made the park look drab. I think the problem is that it just looked cold, so to speak. It never seemed to have that welcoming, old-time baseball feel to it. Which is exactly why I prefer the green seats.

I may be wrong, but the old ballparks as I remember them always had green seats. I'm not sure if it makes it look better. It just makes it look like the way it should be, if that makes any sense.

Either way, its really a dopey arguement. Its all a matter of personal preference. The only thing I'll argue with is the whole "copying Wrigley Field" s***. Its not like they started the usage of green seats. If we wanted to make it like Wrigley, we'd make the place smell like urine and sell crappy food.

Either way, as long as there are people sitting in them, it really doesn't matter all that much.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 06:45 PM)
While I don't dislike the blue seats, I definitely prefer the green.  I don't think many complained about the blue seats because it made the park look drab.  I think the problem is that it just looked cold, so to speak.  It never seemed to have that welcoming, old-time baseball feel to it.  Which is exactly why I prefer the green seats.

I may be wrong, but the old ballparks as I remember them always had green seats.  I'm not sure if it makes it look better.  It just makes it look like the way it should be, if that makes any sense.

Either way, its really a dopey arguement.  Its all a matter of personal preference.  The only thing I'll argue with is the whole "copying Wrigley Field" s***.  Its not like they started the usage of green seats.  If we wanted to make it like Wrigley, we'd make the place smell like urine and sell crappy food.

Either way, as long as there are people sitting in them, it really doesn't matter all that much.

Looking at the old pictures I prefer the green seats. Also - the best part of the renovations was removing the top rows of the upper deck and placing the steel canpoy over.

Honestly the old upper deck looks as if a flying saucer landed in the stadium. I was one of those who didn't think the New Comiskey deserved the criticisms it had...but since these renovations - the park does look a hundred times better and the game does have a different feel now than it did in maybe 1998, 1994 or 1991 (more cozy). :gosoxretro:

anyway, i've always defended the cell. the timing was bad with it being built, that's all. that first year people were all over it's nuts. then when camden went up it was like "uhh, well, uhh..."

my biggest complaint actually doesn't have anything to do with how it came out. i just felt the park should have been built facing downtown with the train tracks snaking down the left field line. they probably could have even done some cool s*** with the train tracks.

but, hindsight is 20-20.

and green seats are definitely cooler, imo.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)
I think they should paint the facades of the club level and upper deck green, and get rid of those ridiculous pinwheels they have lining the facade of the club level. They look like mints.

I drove by too, it looks way better with the green seats. About the pinwheels thing, yeah i Could do without those, but its better to have something there than nothing, which was the problem before. I would like to see a little more exposed concrete (now mostly painted dark colors) bricked over or added to some unique aspect. Something like adding some wrought iron (gray or black or green). Maybe some old fashoned lanterns (even just for show) would be cool. A little brick and ivy (or bush) here or there. Some stuff like that would be really cool.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)
One of the best, but unheralded moves was painting all the piping black instead of the white.  It changes the appearence drastically.

absolutely. It adds depth and makes the space look smaller. Think about the old ballpark and all you can remember is the dark upper decks of Comiskey and Detroit and how they appeared to bring the game closer to the fans. I think the front office is doing a fantastic job of refacing old comiskey, because there really was nothing special about it. I think the evolution of the stadium has become cooler than a shiny new stadium because every year there has been something new to appreciate, and the place has really become a cozier stadium. Some wont agree with me, but I like everything they have done.

I think this sums it up, perfectly.

I may be wrong, but the old ballparks as I remember them always had green seats. I'm not sure if it makes it look better. It just makes it look like the way it should be, if that makes any sense.

I totally agree with this next remark. How could they not take advantage of the skyline is beyond me:

my biggest complaint actually doesn't have anything to do with how it came out. i just felt the park should have been built facing downtown with the train tracks snaking down the left field line. they probably could have even done some cool s*** with the train tracks.

Next quote is very true also. The difference was so great it shocked me.

One of the best, but unheralded moves was painting all the piping black instead of the white. It changes the appearence drastically.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 07:24 AM)
I know.  It's been a bad month.

I'm going to press my luck and go for 5.

As an out of towner, they could paint those seats pink, and I'd love to be able to sit in them a couple dozen times a summer, like I use to.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 08:34 AM)

As an out of towner, they could paint those seats pink, and I'd love to be able to sit in them a couple dozen times a summer, like I use to.

Pink does NOT match black.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 07:34 AM)

Damn. You're a glutton for punishment and you're also making it tough on me. Yes, I agree ... dammit.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
anyway, i've always defended the cell. the timing was bad with it being built, that's all. that first year people were all over it's nuts. then when camden went up it was like "uhh, well, uhh..."

but, hindsight is 20-20.

and green seats are definitely cooler, imo.

i've brought this point up with people more than a few times because it almost seems too ridiculous to not build it that way.

The excuse I've heard is plumbing. Something to do with the fact that they would have to redo all the plumbing or something.

Not saying I believe it, but there's gotta be something, they can't be that stupid.

QUOTE(FLsouthsider @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 04:43 AM)
I seem to remember someone saying the park couldn't face the skyline because of water tables.

And if they really wanted to harken back to old comiskey, they would slather the new green seats with about five hundred layers of green paint.

well....old comiskey faced that way didnt it?