Alan Greenspans last day on the job

southsider2k5

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...1/1020/BUSINESS

One thing I have found interesting is that no one has tried questioning Bernanke at all. We have heard nary a word about this guy, while the spotlight glared on Alito and Roberts. I wonder why there was really no campaign to get the guy to answer questions in a similar matter, as his opinion becomes nearly as important as the Supreme Court justices, if not more due to the fact that the Federal Reserve bank has a bigger concentration of power in the financial sector, affecting many more lives on a daily basis.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 08:48 AM)
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...1/1020/BUSINESS

One thing I have found interesting is that no one has tried questioning Bernanke at all.  We have heard nary a word about this guy, while the spotlight glared on Alito and Roberts.  I wonder why there was really no campaign to get the guy to answer questions in a similar matter, as his opinion becomes nearly as important as the Supreme Court justices, if not more due to the fact that the Federal Reserve bank has a bigger concentration of power in the financial sector, affecting many more lives on a daily basis.

Because the average citizen really has no idea what the Fed does, so therefore they don't care about him.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 07:55 AM)
Because the average citizen really has no idea what the Fed does, so therefore they don't care about him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 08:10 AM)
So therefore our reps and senators shouldn't either?

citizens don't care = no impact on election

no impact on election = no interest from officials

Amazing how that works

And SS, I agree with you, this will have more impact on the average American than a Supreme Court Justice.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
Wall Street seemed to really like this guy.  As I recall the markets rallied sharply the day his appointment was announced.

Of course, that could be good or bad. :huh

WSJ had a profile a while back, and he seems very impressive. But that's the extent of my knowledge on him.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 09:25 AM)
citizens don't care = no impact on election

no impact on election = no interest from officials

Amazing how that works

And SS, I agree with you, this will have more impact on the average American than a Supreme Court Justice.

Summed up my thoughts exactly. Gracias!

Here's what needs to be done with Congress ---> :sweep:

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 09:10 AM)
Summed up my thoughts exactly.  Gracias!

Take heart in . . .

citizens care = impact on elections

impact on elections = leaders care

citizens care = leaders care

It's the only way to remain confident and sane in our leadership.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 10:13 AM)
Take heart in . . .

citizens care = impact on elections

impact on elections = leaders care

citizens care = leaders care

It's the only way to remain confident and sane in our leadership.

Well, what 50?% of eligible voters vote in a given election, right? That's a LOT of apathetic people out there.

I think the senators cared, but there's really only one issue that was controversial in his nomination -- inflation targeting. Once they asked him about that and he answered uncontroversially enough, there wasn't much to object to. You could hardly imagine anyone more qualified.

Edited by jackie hayes

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
Summed up my thoughts exactly.  Gracias!

I agree 100% Start over.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 10:24 AM)
Well, what 50?% of eligible voters vote in a given election, right?  That's a LOT of apathetic people out there.

I think you could just drop the "a" in front of pathetic.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
Yeah, we get it, republicans are the best, most often simply because they're republican.

yawwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

I'd put like this. Republicans are best because they're not Democrats.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
I'd put like this.  Republicans are best because they're not Democrats.

Keep looking at it that way(and this goes for people strictly on the other side too) and watch things continue to get worse.

And those you so blindly and adamantly support are laughing all the way to the bank, and they're stepping on all of us to get there.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
Keep looking at it that way(and this goes for people strictly on the other side too) and watch things continue to get worse.

And those you so blindly and adamantly support are laughing all the way to the bank, and they're stepping on all of us to get there.

Im doing just fine. Nobody is stepping on me. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I think we a big change in DC. Just, not to the Democrats. This country would go to hell in a hand basket.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
Im doing just fine.  Nobody is stepping on me.  A rising tide lifts all boats.

As if someone in support of the current administration would say anything else?

The US poverty rate of 12.7 percent is reported to be the highest in the developed world, while it is reportedly more than twice as high as in most other industrialized countries. This is because the majority of the other industrialized nations are reported to have a more generous programme for their poor citizens.

The gap between the rich and the poor is also wider in the US than in most other developed countries. In the US, the poorest 10 per cent reportedly receive only 1.9 per cent of the country’s income, as against 4.8 per cent in Japan, 3.2 per cent in Germany, 2.8 percent in France, 2.3 per cent in Italy and 2.1 percent in the UK.

With the passage of time, the rich-poor gap in the US has shown an alarming increase. In 1965, Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) made 24 times as much as the average worker. The ratio was reported to have sharply gone up to 185 times by 2003.

Yep, every last schooner and tugboat reaching new heights every day.....

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
As if someone in support of the current administration would say anything else?

The US poverty rate of 12.7 percent is reported to be the highest in the developed world, while it is reportedly more than twice as high as in most other industrialized countries. This is because the majority of the other industrialized nations are reported to have a more generous programme for their poor citizens.

The gap between the rich and the poor is also wider in the US than in most other developed countries. In the US, the poorest 10 per cent reportedly receive only 1.9 per cent of the country’s income, as against 4.8 per cent in Japan, 3.2 per cent in Germany, 2.8 percent in France, 2.3 per cent in Italy and 2.1 percent in the UK.

With the passage of time, the rich-poor gap in the US has shown an alarming increase. In 1965, Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) made 24 times as much as the average worker. The ratio was reported to have sharply gone up to 185 times by 2003.

Yep, every last schooner and tugboat reaching new heights every day.....

I'm sorry... and this is going to make me sound like such an ass... but NO WHERE in the ENTIRE WORLD do people have more of an opportunity to better themselves then in this country. But, instead of crying "poverty" you would actually have to help yourself to get out of your situation.

How many thousands of "rags to riches" stories do you hear about? In another country, money's given to the poor, they accept it, and they stay poor.

It drives me INSANE how the left wants to hang on every little "poor me" story that's out there. It's called personal responsibility. No, not everyone makes it. I allow for that, but you have more opportunity here then anywhere else in the world.

I know you're trying to paint the "great divide" with this post, but many of these CEO's who make that much didn't have that when growing up. They worked for it.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
I'm sorry... and this is going to make me sound like such an ass... but NO WHERE in the ENTIRE WORLD do people have more of an opportunity to better themselves then in this country. 

sooooo shortsighted

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
I'm sorry... and this is going to make me sound like such an ass... but NO WHERE in the ENTIRE WORLD do people have more of an opportunity to better themselves then in this country.  But, instead of crying "poverty" you would actually have to help yourself to get out of your situation.

How many thousands of "rags to riches" stories do you hear about?  In another country, money's given to the poor, they accept it, and they stay poor.

It drives me INSANE how the left wants to hang on every little "poor me" story that's out there.  It's called personal responsibility.  No, not everyone makes it.  I allow for that, but you have more opportunity here then anywhere else in the world.

I know you're trying to paint the "great divide" with this post, but many of these CEO's who make that much didn't have that when growing up.  They worked for it.

I don't know, does a person realistically have that much better a chance here than in Britain, for example? Maybe it is true, I certainly believe we have the greatest country in the world. But it won't last, not given the current trends. The sooner people stop with the red/blue, left/right bulls***, and the more they wake up and realize that none of them(well, very few of them at least) are doing their jobs, the quicker we can change things.

It's a "broadbrush" statement, for sure, but "a rising tide raises all boats?" Give me a f***ing break. An unpredictable break, for a change, would be even better.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 08:36 PM)
I don't know, does a person realistically have that much better a chance here than in Britain, for example?  Maybe it is true, I certainly believe we have the greatest country in the world.  But it won't last, not given the current trends.  The sooner people stop with the red/blue, left/right bulls***, and the more they wake up and realize that none of them(well, very few of them at least) are doing their jobs, the quicker we can change things.

It's a "broadbrush" statement, for sure, but  "a rising tide raises all boats?"  Give me a f***ing break.  An unpredictable break, for a change, would be even better.

That I can agree with.

Seems this post was broadbrushed with something of a blue tint to it. And since we are talking colors, pot meet kettle.