T.O. to the Bears?

These posts lately are just hilarious. This is just the last week:

-The Bulls did the right thing in drafting Kirk Hinrich instead of LeBron James because Kirk Hinrich plays better defense(as if the Bulls had a shot at drafting him anyways....)

-The Bears should just DROP Rex Grossman or he should retire because Jerry Angelo has already said that Orton is the starting QB(although the quote said "Rex Grossman is the starter going into training camp)

-Donovan McNabb is clearly the most over-rated player in the league, and because of this the Bears should take a chance on TO because the whole thing that happened in Philly was overblown.

Did I miss any good ones?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 08:11 PM)
-Donovan McNabb is clearly the most over-rated player in the league, and because of this the Bears should take a chance on TO because the whole thing that happened in Philly was overblown.

Did I miss any good ones?

McNabb is clearly the most overrated player IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL. We're talking since 1920 here. :D

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
Why do you say that?  Because of the throw he made in the Super Bowl?

All I know is that Randle El has been in the NFL for a while now, and he gets no QB reps in practice.  He'd get annihilated.

Well the reason he gets no QB reps is he's the best special teams player and probably the 2nd best WR on the Steelers, and that Big Ben guy is pretty good too. I'm not even kidding, I think Antwaan is a better QB than Kyle Orton right now...call me crazy, I don't care.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
that Big Ben guy is pretty good too. 

I'm not looking for a reason as to why he has received no reps. I am saying that he has received no reps. There is no basis for speculation. I could say that Roger Clemens would be a better QB than Orton or Blake. It's almost the same difference.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
I'm not looking for a reason as to why he has received no reps.  I am saying that he has received no reps.  There is no basis for speculation.  I could say that Roger Clemens would be a better QB than Orton or Blake.  It's almost the same difference.

Roger Clemens wasn't an all Big 10 player at QB though. :P

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46380

Bulls vs Kings thread.  check about 3/4 of the way down.  Quite humorous.

OH MY GOD

As if Hinrich>>>>>Lebron James wasn't bad enough, he chimed in with this gem:

And another thing: We need to play Jannero Pargo more.

Unreal.

Moose - tying up a s*** load of money and not going anywhere anytime soon

I don't know the design of Muse's contract...Is a lot of his money backloaded? Did he get a tremendous signing bonus? If most of his money is in salary, by all means, you have to dump him now since the salary end of the contract does not count againt the cap if the guy is cut.

QUOTE(CluelessJoe1919 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 08:29 PM)
I don't know the design of Muse's contract...Is a lot of his money backloaded? Did he get a tremendous signing bonus? If most of his money is in salary, by all means, you have to dump him now since the salary end of the contract does not count againt the cap if the guy is cut.

I thought Moose got a 10.5 million dollar or thereabouts in bonus money If Muhammed has a good QB he showed a year ago what he can do with Delhomme. I think adding a good number two wideout and perhaps a TE through the draft will lead to an increase in numbers for Moose. His numbers won't be too great because this is the Bears but he just needs to work on the drops which were surprising

I thought Moose got a 10.5 million dollar or thereabouts in bonus money If Muhammed has a good QB he showed a year ago what he can do with Delhomme. I think adding a good number two wideout and perhaps a TE through the draft will lead to an increase in numbers for Moose. His numbers won't be too great because this is the Bears but he just needs to work on the drops which were surprising

I think his contract was 30M total bonues and salary. It's a 6 year deal, too. If he continues dropping them this year, then we give him the pink slip. Randle El and a TE are the final pieces for a SUper Bowl title, IMO, along w/ depth on the lines and in the secondary.

Nope sorry, that title belongs to the QB whom made it to the hall of fame based on one game then later in life got drunk and attempted to plant one on my girl Suzy Kolber. I'd take McNabb on the Bears in a f***ing second the guy is a stud QB and most NFL teams would be lucky to have him

I'm just wondering, how do you explain McNabb's woeful performance in the Super Bowl two bowls ago? He threw two dreadful interceptions and should have had a third in the first half alone, but it was called off for an unrelated penalty. What was that he had, some sort of a flu that came on during the game? Could it be the Choke Flu?

I take it the most overrated was Joe Namath? Hardly. Are you old enough to remember him?

I"m sorry. I didn't get to watch every Bears game this year, but in the games I watched, he dropped more passes than the rest of the league combined! I'm not going to blame Orton or Grossman for his drops. The guy was horrible. Can anyone come up with Muse's exact contract?

I"m sorry. I didn't get to watch every Bears game this year, but in the games I watched, he dropped more passes than the rest of the league combined! I'm not going to blame Orton or Grossman for his drops. The guy was horrible. Can anyone come up with Muse's exact contract?

Let's say the Bears gave Muse $10 mil guaranteed of a contract that totaled $30 million over, as you say, six years.

The Bears have to pay him $10 million of it since it's guaranteed, which averages to just under $2 million per season, leaving them at roughly $8 million to be paid. If they feel that Muse sucks and they want him out of there, they could just pay him the rest of the guaranteed money (8 mil), which would mean they would take an $8 million salary cap hit while saving the remaining $20 million in contract money, which Muse doesn't get to see nor does the NFL apply to the Bears' cap.

So, if the Bears decide to cut Muse, they would be giving him the remainder of the $10 mil, but should they cut him before June 1, they could absorb the $8 million salary cap figure over the next two years ($4 mil per season). That may be affordable, but I highly doubt the Bears think he sucks that bad.

QUOTE(CluelessJoe1919 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:31 PM)
I'm just wondering, how do you explain McNabb's woeful performance in the Super Bowl two bowls ago? He threw two dreadful interceptions and should have had a third in the first half alone, but it was called off for an unrelated penalty. What was that he had, some sort of a flu that came on during the game? Could it be the Choke Flu?

I take it the most overrated was Joe Namath? Hardly. Are you old enough to remember him?

He has a bad super bowl so now he's the most overrated QB in the history of the league? You want an overrated QB just go check down in Atlanta, there's a WR/HB behind center there that seems to be a consistant Pro Bowler at the QB position.

Joe Namath has possibly the worst stats of any QB possibly any player in the Hall of Fame, he made his name off one game and just because I wasn't alive when he played doesn't mean I don't know what he did.

QUOTE(CluelessJoe1919 @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 03:31 AM)

He is not the only one to think this way. Here is a little article from a national sports network. I think they go by ESPN or something like that. I wonder if any of them were old enough to see Namath play. His stats that are listed sound like he was pretty overrated to me.

Most Overrated

1. Joe Namath

I'm a Joe Namath fan from way back, so it pains me to say this, but Namath was a great quarterback for only a few seasons. He's been properly credited for leading the Jets to a Super Bowl III win (and a few bonus points for being cool enough to know he didn't have to pass to beat the Colts). Namath was an icon, a product of his times, and he played the New York tune in perfect key, fur coat and all. But as a player ... there have been dozens of better QBs in modern times. Some surprisingly lousy career stats to consider: 173 TD passes, 220 INTs, completion percentage of 50.1.

2. Phil Rizzuto

Rizzuto was a fine shortstop who had one truly great season -- his MVP year of 1950. His admittance into the HOF in 1994, nearly 40 years after his playing career ended, was clearly a product of the New York media machine, Yankee aura and HOF voting politics.

3. Lynn Swann

Hmmm. In nine seasons, he was a Pro Bowler only three times. Averaged less than 40 catches per season. A couple of great playoff performances, but lots of so-so ones. In terms of career stats, you can't get more straightforward than the footballreference.com summary: "Lynn Swann is not in the all-time top 50 in any major category." So why is he in the Hall of Fame?

4. Jose Canseco

Wow. We knew Canseco was overrated, and he's especially unlikable these days, but just checking out his stats in an objective fashion, you'd be less than impressed. A .266 BA and just six 100+ RBI seasons in an offensive era, a so-so .353 OBP. Terrible in the postseason -- a .184 batting average and .398 slugging percentage when the stakes were highest.

5. Deion Sanders

Spectacular to watch in his prime, dominant on pass defense (although a notoriously weak tackler), but he asked for too much money, and undeservedly got it. ESPN the Mag's Tom Friend summed up Sanders' career well, calling Sanders the "Greatest selfish player of all-time, best-bandannaed player of all time, (who) killed wide receivers and salary caps." Oh, and he was a mediocre baseball player, despite the hype and two Sports Illustrated covers (only one less than Barry Bonds!).

6. Pete Maravich

Pistol Pete, perhaps the most spectacular college player ever, was a very good, but not great, NBA player. A marginal Hall of Famer if you look at his pro stats, and shouldn't have made the list of the NBA's top 50 players of all time.

7. Nolan Ryan

If you wanted to go see a game with lots of K's, lots of walks, and not much in-between, Ryan was your man. In his long career, he racked up some spectacular achievements -- for example, 5,714 strikeouts and seven no-hitters. Other spectacular marks included 2,795 walks and 292 career losses, which put him, with a 324-292 record, not far above .500.

Granted, he pitched most of his career for mediocre teams, but he never won the Cy Young Award (Steve Carlton, his contemporary and also a strikeout pitcher, won four Cy Youngs). A great hurler, but not, as many fans believe, the greatest in baseball history.

8. Pete Rose

He's got the most hits in baseball history, but that doesn't make him the greatest hitter in baseball history, as many casual fans believe. Rose kept himself in the game for five years after he should have retired, and he hurt the Reds as a player his last couple of years. Don't get me wrong: Rose was great, and he worked his tail off, but his his hits record is greatly overplayed. He didn't even come close to Ty Cobb at the plate:

Rose: BA: .303; OBP: .375; SLG: .409, career high of 82 RBI, 198 SB

Cobb: BA: .366; OBP: .433; SLG: .512, seven seasons of 100+ RBI, 892 SB

9. O.J. Simpson

Simpson had one incredible year, and two other great ones. But if you check out his career stats, what you'll find is five fine seasons and six so-so ones in which he gained less than 700 yards on the ground. Not much of a receiver, either -- in his 2000-yard season, Simpson caught a grand total of six passes.

10. Apolo Ohno

Ohno already deserves a spot in SI's "Where are they now?" issue. A couple of questions: Why was he an SI cover boy last year when he was in a minor sport that had only been in the Winter Games since 1992? We could think of a dozen winter Olympians more deserving of that slot. Anything intriguing about him? Nah ... he's no Barry Zito. As my esteemed colleague Jim Caple put it, "It was his name and Nike that got him cred, not talent."

Edited by southsideirish

No, you're confused.

In one thread, you're saying that Tyson Chandler's passion is a bad thing.  Meanwhile, he pumps all his teamates up after a thunder dunk and his contributions to team chemistry are immeasurable.  He's one of the nicest guys in that locker room.

Now you're promoting a guy who alienates all of his teammates, has no friends, and just sucks at life in general.  :lol:

You're an early candidate for "Most Likely To Get Flamed", I'll give you that.

yeah..Ok...Tyson Chandler is to the NBA what TO is to the NFL. They're both equal talents. Don't mistake Chandler's stupidity with passion. All he does is make himself look like an ass and fire up the other team. Also, he seldom does anything to win a game...

What does "to be flamed" mean, anyway?

But I thought he was CLEARLY the most overrated player in the history of the NFL???

Is there a loophole in the personal atacks policy that allows you to rip on retards?  I've gotta say that I'm tired of holding back on here.

Bring it on, tough guy..I'm ready. Don't hold back..I always enjoy messing with people who get all upset over a sports conversation, anyway.