Buehrle still telling it like it is

greasywheels121

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox23.html

Buehrle still telling it like it is

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

TUCSON, Ariz. -- At the end of the 2004 season, Mark Buehrle caught some heat from several Minnesota Twins players after he came out publicly and predicted that the Central Division rivals would be ''one and done'' in the playoffs.

''Yeah, I'm out of the prediction business,'' the White Sox pitcher joked several times last season.

Guess who just reopened for business Wednesday?

Buehrle and his teammates have spent the offseason basking in the glory of bringing the first World Series championship to the South Side in 88 years, as well as hearing how the Cleveland Indians could be the major obstacle in them defending that title in 2006.

The 26-year-old left-hander has a very different opinion on that being reality.

''You know what?'' Buehrle said. ''They made some moves this offseason and we made some moves. Last year is last year. Everyone comes into spring training and likes their chances. But it's about going out there and putting it all together on the field.

''To be honest with you, I personally don't think Cleveland is going to be as good as they were last year. They got rid of a couple of key guys with [pitcher Kevin] Millwood, and I think [outfielder] Coco Crisp was a huge loss for them. They're not the same team they were last year.''

And Buehrle is the first to insist that neither are the Sox. His point, however, is the Sox might just be better.

In adding slugger Jim Thome into the mix, as well as starting pitcher Javier Vazquez, Buehrle feels like the surrounding cast has improved over the one that hoisted the trophy last October. At least on paper.

''I was at my hunting property,'' Buehrle recalled, when he first heard about the Thome deal. ''We have cable, but don't pay much attention to it when we're out there. I didn't hear for a few days.

''My first reaction was I was excited. Then you think about it, and losing [Aaron] Rowand [in the trade]. To lose a guy like that, a guy that sacrificed his body to run through walls and dive for -- I mean how many games has he saved for me? You look at it that way and it sucks, but overall, I was happy with it.''

A few weeks later, the Vazquez trade went down, when the Sox packaged starting pitcher Orlando Hernandez and reliever Luis Vizcaino to Arizona for the right-hander.

''I was at home for that one,'' Buehrle said. ''I was hearing talk about it, so wasn't a big surprise. I was happy with that one, too. I liked playing with 'El Duque' and Vizcaino. In the end, though, I thought both trades were positive.

''I mean you look at our rotation from last year, and then you go in there and replace 'El Duque' with Vazquez, it's a definite upgrade. 'Duque' has been battling injuries, while Vazquez is a guy that goes out there every year and puts up 200 innings. And to think that Vazquez is our No. 5 -- what does that say?''

What it says to pitching coach Don Cooper is that ''we have five aces that can go out there and beat you any night.''

As far as the Sox are concerned, the rotation begins with Buehrle. That's why manager Ozzie Guillen came out the first day of camp and declared that Buehrle would be his Opening Day starter.

''Mark Buehrle is probably entering the prime of his career, and every year he puts up 200 innings,'' Cooper said. ''He deserves the honor. It really was in a lot of ways a no-brainer. Long standing service is the term that comes to mind. That's the reason he's getting the ball.''

It doesn't hurt that Buehrle has recorded at least 14 wins, 200 innings pitched, 30 starts and 100 strikeouts for five consecutive years.

Coincidentally, that first start will come against the Indians on April 2.

''It means a lot,'' Buehrle said of that start. ''Really, any one of these guys can start on Opening Day. Ozzie and 'Coop' recognize what I've done for the organization the last five years and decided to give it to me again.''

''To be honest with you, I personally don't think Cleveland is going to be as good as they were last year. They got rid of a couple of key guys with [pitcher Kevin] Millwood, and I think [outfielder] Coco Crisp was a huge loss for them. They're not the same team they were last year.''

I know this is probably true, but it scares the hell out of me whenever anyone says anything like this.

I hate giving them bulletin board material. I want Buerhle to have the best chance possible to extend our streak of days in first place when game 1 comes around

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
I know this is probably true, but it scares the hell out of me whenever anyone says anything like this. 

I hate giving them bulletin board material.  I want Buerhle to have the best chance possible to extend our streak of days in first place when game 1 comes around

As long as we are in first after game 162, I'm cool with it.

OPENING BID

When Mark Buehrle goes to the mound April 2, he will tie the Sox record for most consecutive Opening Day starts.

Wilbur Wood 5 (1972-76)

Mark Buehrle  4 (2002-05) 

Jack McDowell 4 (1991-94)

Billy Pierce 3 (1956-58) 

Jim Scott 3 (1913-15)

Tommy Thomas 3 (1929-31) 

20-20 VISION

In the Feb. 23, 2006, issue, Sports Illustrated reports that at least one pitcher has become a 20-game winner for the first time in every full season since 1983. Here are the magazine's candidates (with 2005 record) to win 20 games for the first time in 2006:

Rich Harden, A's 10-5

Jake Peavy, Padres 13-7 

Mark Buehrle, SOX 16-8

Mark Prior, Cubs 11-7 

Josh Beckett, Red Sox 15-8

Note: SI calls Buehrle ''the best active pitcher never to have won 20.''

QUOTE(Damen @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
He should have last year.  Anyone remember what his record was in June, when his ERA was around 1.something, but he only got a couple wins out of it due to our sputtering offense?

Early on he was lights out, as well as Jon. Burls had the Cy Young in his back pocket last year, but as the team faded so did he in many different ways. We saw him give up more walks, and stuff like the bomb that Boone hit on a 0-2 count in the Rally Crede game. Obviously he was lights out in the playoffs, and we all know what he is capable of. I truly believe that he is entering the prime of his career as well, and he will learn from his 2nd half last year. The #1 guy on the best staff in the country is big shoes to fill, and I'll take my chances with argubly the most consistent pitcher in the AL. Screw Santana.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
People make WAY to big of a deal out of these things. Im fairly positive Mark didnt look for Cowley and tell him to write how bad the Tribe are going to be. Im sure he was asked what his take was on the Indians, and he gave the answer he believed. The got rid of the ERA champ and a speedy .300 hitter. I dont know if Mark is to far off based in his remarks, nor should it be a problem he said anything.

I have no problem if Hafner or V-Mart think we got worse cause we lost Rowand and El Duque. He has every right to feel that way.

Hafner and Martinez would be lying, though. Mark was telling the truth. On paper, the Indians aren't as good as last year. Does that mean they won't be as good or better when the season starts? Of course not.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
Early on he was lights out, as well as Jon.  Burls had the Cy Young in his back pocket last year, but as the team faded so did he in many different ways.  We saw him give up more walks, and stuff like the bomb that Boone hit on a 0-2 count in the Rally Crede game.  Obviously he was lights out in the playoffs, and we all know what he is capable of.  I truly believe that he is entering the prime of his career as well, and he will learn from his 2nd half last year.  The #1 guy on the best staff in the country is big shoes to fill, and I'll take my chances with argubly the most consistent pitcher in the AL.  Screw Santana.

I disagree strongly. I think Buehrle is nowhere as good as Santana. And Buehrle gave up a ton of walks and hits after the All-Star Game. In the playoffs, he was alright.

Edited by nitetrain8601