"White Sox want 05 feeling to spill into 06"

Balta1701

Linky

Just in case the Chicago White Sox suffer World Series amnesia -- like they could somehow forget they won the franchise's first championship since 1917-- team officials have done some interior and exterior decorating at their spring training complex.

You can't swing a fungo bat at the facility without hitting a banner, mural, poster or other signage commemorating the 2005 season. Sixteen oversized photos of '05 postseason Sox moments line the cinder block hallway walls leading from the clubhouse to the practice fields. In the lobby is a huge picture of a champagne- and beer-soaked Ozzie Guillen hoisting the World Series trophy above his head. Near the entrance of the media room is another supersized photo from the team's ticker-tape victory parade in downtown Chicago. And attached to the exterior wall next to the building's entrance is a Sox mini-billboard. You can probably see it from nearby Interstate 10.

Grinder Ball Rule No. 71:

If at first you succeed, repeat.

Edit: Man did that one screw up. Please delete the one with no content in it, someone who has the power. Thanks.

Edited by Balta1701

I swear half the board could write more informative previews than ESPN's staff:

Worried about the Sox's offense?  Hello Jim Thome

That's like saying, "Concerned about your finances, hello roulette table!" I mean, Thome's a gamble to stay healthy, and finances is so much more than just betting on ONE SINGLE THING to go right. Another "blah" preview piece I I guess.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)

That's like saying, "Concerned about your finances, hello roulette table!"  I mean, Thome's a gamble to stay healthy, and finances is so much more than just betting on ONE SINGLE THING to go right.  Another "blah" preview piece I I guess.

He's not as much of a gamble to stay healthy as you indicate. Last year was, IIRC, the first time he's had a major injury in his career.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)

That's like saying, "Concerned about your finances, hello roulette table!"  I mean, Thome's a gamble to stay healthy, and finances is so much more than just betting on ONE SINGLE THING to go right.  Another "blah" preview piece I I guess.

Umm, I thought the article was very good.

Obviously the metaphor wasn't meant to be taken literally, like a 50/50 chance of Thome staying healthy, or 49.5/49.5/1, whatever the exact roulette odds are.

My larger point is that saying an offense's sucess rests solely on one player is foolish and worse--lazy.

Jordan: could you explain further why you thought the article was "very good"? I guess I'm just confused why you think that, but am willing to listen to reasons.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
Obviously the metaphor wasn't meant to be taken literally, like a 50/50 chance of Thome staying healthy, or 49.5/49.5/1, whatever the exact roulette odds are.

My larger point is that saying an offense's sucess rests solely on one player is foolish and worse--lazy.

Jordan:  could you explain further why you thought the article was "very good"?  I guess I'm just confused why you think that, but am willing to listen to reasons.

What was wrong with it? It talks about how nobody expected them to do anything last year, which is true. And it ends saying that we're basically the favorites going into this season.