SIU Salukis

Hey all, been a while since I posted here. Good times, my Marlins are rebuilding, I am excited to watch these young guys play their butts off.

But right now, lets talk college basketball. I am from southern Illinois, and have been a Saluki fan since birth. I spit on the Illini, they mean nothing. It's all about the egyptian dogs where I am from.

They had a tough time this season, at the start mainly. Then Bryan Mullins got inserted into the starting lineup, and things changed. The conference wasn't easy this year, mainly because the MVC was so deep and so good(possiblity of 5 or 6 bids into the dance).

But we earned our way in, by dominating(except for the UNI game) the MVC tournament in St. Louis. I dont know how many of you watched, but the dawgs were on fire.

But to suceed in the tournament, we need to keep with the defense(top 10 scoring defense) and hit our open shots.

Randal Falker needs to keep amazing me, as every game he does something that makes my jaw drop.

Tatum has been on fire as of late, that needs to keep on keeping on.

Matt Shaw plays so hard, he creates so many opportunities for the team.

Tony Young was somewhat cold in the MVC tournament, I hope he gets his touch back for the dance.

Bryan Mullins is such an amazing point guard, he excells on defense. He also creates many open looks for himself, but seems timid and afraid to shoot. He has a beautiful shot, I just wish he'd take them more often.

I wish my team the best of luck, maybe the two seniors(Kyle Smithpeters and Austin Brooks, two walk ons) will get a little playing time.

Best of luck in the tourney dawgs, suprise the world.

:cheers

I am very excited for the future of the Saluki program. They have some red-shirted kids who will help tremendously next year(Jordan Armstrong and Chris Cornelius) and prep star Joshua Bone coming out of Brentwood Academy in Tennessee. Chris Lowery had a very tough start to the season with Nick Rogers leaving the team because of homesickness and Mike Dale leaving the team because of completely selfish reasons, but he righted that ship and still has them pointed in the right direction. The more attention the program gets, the better.

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
I say this with no shame...I have a man crush on Bryan Mullins, he makes Brooks leaving stomachable...if he comes out the gate as a scorer, I honestly believe the Salukis can run the table in the MVC next year, and thats a bold statement.

I dont think he has a problem with scoring other than he prefers to pass it. He does need to work on his outside shot and his confidence in it, but if he starts contributing 8-13 points every game, the Salukis will be REAL damn good next year. And I have nothing but confidence in him to elevate his game. Honest to god, when he hit that acrobatic shot against UNI and twisted his ankle at the same time, I just had a feeling that the Salukis would win the tournament. Confidence is a somethign that Shaw and Mullins are developing right now, and if they come into the NCAA tournament playing the same way they played in the MVC tournament, the Salukis will win a game or two.

Chris Lowry has been getting alot of attention lately, people saying how alot of big time programs are going to give him and other valley coaches long hard looks. But he's not Painter, he's not Webber...this is not a stepping stone...this guy is a Saluki heart and soul, I dont see him going anywhere.

Lowery also said something that I never thought of, that since this is such a young team(2 jrs, 2 sophomores, 1 true freshman starting), they dont know they are supposed to go in there and feel pressure. Playing with all heart.

I hope we see a nice run in the tournament, and if we get put in Memphis bracket, I think we can beat them(and I think we can take it to the wire with any team in the tournament, our defense is that good).

That loss to OK St was a heartbreaker, I hope we can go give them hell this year, make up for the second half of that game...I want a sweet 16 at the very least...maybe I'm a greedy fan? Who cares.

Go Salukis

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 07:57 AM)
I say this with no shame...I have a man crush on Bryan Mullins

So does Rowand44.

Can't wait to see the match ups. I think SIU's defense can give some of the top teams in the country fits. Will be fun.

SIU was just getting good when I was there and were in the NIT my senior year. I miss going to the SIU Arena for games.

Illini fans are cool, I cant stand the bandwagoners though. You can have Webber, I'll take Lowery. Webber inherited a great team, came in the middle of the Brooks/Hairston regime.

Lowery took a true freshman, two sophmores(one being a tall lanky fellow who slightly resembles the mascot...still love ya Randal), Jamaal Tatum, and a backup in Tony Young and did something Webber never did, win the MVC tournament AND finish tied for 2nd in a year in which most thought we'd finsish 6th or 7th.

Just imagine how good this team will be next year.

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 05:55 AM)
Hey all, been a while since I posted here.  Good times, my Marlins are rebuilding, I am excited to watch these young guys play their butts off.

But right now, lets talk college basketball.  I am from southern Illinois, and have been a Saluki fan since birth.  I spit on the Illini, they mean nothing.  It's all about the egyptian dogs where I am from. 

They had a tough time this season, at the start mainly.  Then Bryan Mullins got inserted into the starting lineup, and things changed.  The conference wasn't easy this year, mainly because the MVC was so deep and so good(possiblity of 5 or 6 bids into the dance).

But we earned our way in, by dominating(except for the UNI game) the MVC tournament in St. Louis.  I dont know how many of you watched, but the dawgs were on fire.

But to suceed in the tournament, we need to keep with the defense(top 10 scoring defense) and hit our open shots. 

Randal Falker needs to keep amazing me, as every game he does something that makes my jaw drop.

Tatum has been on fire as of late, that needs to keep on keeping on.

Matt Shaw plays so hard, he creates so many opportunities for the team.

Tony Young was somewhat cold in the MVC tournament, I hope he gets his touch back for the dance.

Bryan Mullins is such an amazing point guard, he excells on defense.  He also creates many open looks for himself, but seems timid and afraid to shoot.  He has a beautiful shot, I just wish he'd take them more often.

I wish my team the best of luck, maybe the two seniors(Kyle Smithpeters and Austin Brooks, two walk ons) will get a little playing time.

Nother another SIU fan. :headshake

Just kidding. Welcome to the board, man.

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
Illini fans are cool, I cant stand the bandwagoners though.  You can have Webber, I'll take Lowery. Webber inherited a great team, came in the middle of the Brooks/Hairston regime.

Ummm, No. Webber came in without Brooks and Hairston, he recruited those two. In fact, his first job was to convince Kent Williams to play for him because Williams initially signed his LOI with Rich Herrin before he got fired. Weber built SIU to the point it is at right now, and he still works behind the scenes in the development of SIU and Chris Lowery as a head coach.

Matt Painter inherited a great team from Bruce Weber, and Chris Lowery inherited a great team from Painter.

Lowery took a true freshman, two sophmores(one being a tall lanky fellow who slightly resembles the mascot...still love ya Randal), Jamaal Tatum, and a backup in Tony Young and did something Webber never did, win the MVC tournament AND finish tied for 2nd in a year in which most thought we'd finsish 6th or 7th.

Weber took a senior castoff from a BCS team(Rolen Roberts) a junior power forward that wasnt recruited at all(Jermaine Dearman), an undersized shooting guard converted to a point guard(Kent Williams), and two sophomores (Hairston and Brooks) and rode them all the way to the sweet 16. Weber built this program brick by brick, because Rich Herrin got lazy and decided he didnt want to leave Southern Illinois to recruit. Dont discredit the man.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
Wow I got my facts a tad mixed up.

I wasn't discrediting Webber at all, mainly saying I'm happy with Lowery.

Well, you kinda were because you were insinuating that he inherited a great team. I just think you got Painter and Weber mixed up. No big deal, I just have a ton of respect for what Weber was able to accomplish and what he did for us in the dawg pound at the time. He was a tremendously cool guy, I got called into his office a few times and he was really cool about getting T-shirts made for the dawg pound and tickets to the MVC tourney. If there was no Bruce Weber, SIU wouldnt be sitting on 5 straight NCAA bids.

Having had Bryan Mullins attend my high school and seeing him play many many times, I can assure you that you are in for a real treat getting to watch him play four years at SIU. Having him atted SIU made me a fan of theirs instantaneously, and I'm definetly pumped with them getting into the big dance... can't wait.

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
Hey all, been a while since I posted here.  Good times, my Marlins are rebuilding, I am excited to watch these young guys play their butts off.

But right now, lets talk college basketball.  I am from southern Illinois, and have been a Saluki fan since birth.

The bigger question is, have you drank at Salukis in downtown Chicago??

:cheers

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 05:02 AM)
No I havent, but I've drank in Carbondale during bracket buster saturday(2 years ago, against Hawaii), a town wide keggar...it was awesome.

There is a bar in Chicago called Salukis. The owners daughters went to SIU (or something like that). The whole place is decorated in SIU memorabilia.

Cool little bar.