Commentary: Trading Colon Could be the Solution

Chisoxfn

Trading Colon Could be the Solution

By Rob Knowles

May 29, 2003

SoxNet.net

The excitement of that cold winter day when Bartolo Colon came to Chicago is long gone. The days of dreaming how his triple digit fastball would look in October are looking like nothing more than that-dreams. It has not been Colon’s fault that the Sox are slipping in the standings. Colon, with the exception of Esteban Loiaza, has been the most consistent player on the team. No, Colon has not been the problem--the offense (or lack thereof) is the problem.

How can the White Sox fix this atrocious offense? While contemplating my next submission to SoxNet.net, I thought a great deal about that topic. First, I had to focus on two problems which reared their ugly heads in the spring and still continue to plague this offense. The problems are a lack of consistent hitting at the top of the order, and no production from center field. It is obvious the only way this can be resolved is to trade outside the organization. The Sox haven’t developed any top of the order guys that are ready to take on the task, and Joe Borchard is simply not ready to become an every day major leaguer.

Trade possibilities are always something fans love to talk about. Perhaps it’s due to the feeling of power that comes with these conversations (rather like being a general manager), so I enjoyed coming up with possibilities on how to fix the Sox problem. All of the possible trades resorted back to trading one player in particular - Bartolo Colon. What team in contention would not want this guy? After thinking for a while, I devised the following plan on how the Sox could try to save their season.

An obvious candidate for Bartolo Colon is the New York Yankees. With a bottomless wallet and a never ending search for the perfect team, the Yankees would use Colon to replace struggling Jeff Weaver. With age also a factor for the Yankees, Colon would supply them with an ace if Roger Clemens or David Wells were to be placed on the DL.

Since the Yankees also could use reassurance in the bullpen, the Sox would ship Gary Glover out in the same deal. In return for Glover and Colon, the Yankees would give the Sox Juan Rivera, Erick Almonte, and Jose Garcia.

Rivera, a solid hitting outfielder, was hitting .327 in AAA Columbus before being called up while Bernie Williams nurses a knee injury. Rivera is the Yankees’ top prospect but with Hideki Matsui, possibly Raul Mondesi, and possibly Vladimir Guerrero lined up for next season, Rivera is expendable. Almonte, a shortstop, also has a good bat. He replaced Derek Jeter earlier in the season and hit .270 over the stretch. Garcia would be the final piece of the trade, as he has compiled a 1.98 ERA over 6 starts in high-A ball.

The White Sox could ship Carlos Lee and Edwin Almonte to Baltimore for Sidney Ponson and Melvin Mora. Lee has consistently disappointed at the plate, and has had problems defensively in left field. With Juan Rivera taking his spot, Lee could be sent to Baltimore, a team desperately looking for power in the corners. Edwin Almonte is a closer in the Sox organization, but is already 26 and would be valued more by Baltimore. Ponson would replace Colon in the rotation, and Mora, who hit over 20 home runs in 2002 and is batting .321 this season, would be the new Sox center fielder. Luis Matos would be the Baltimore center fielder if Mora left.

This combination of trades would strengthen the Sox lineup, with either Almonte or Mora being inserted at the top, and Valentin being placed on the bench. It also gives the Sox another young talented pitcher in 26-year-old Ponson.

If the Sox do not win with these additions, they would at least have a long-term shortstop, a solid middle of the rotation pitcher, and (if Mora continues to play well) a solid centerfielder.

Although it is somewhere between unlikely and impossible that these trades would ever see the light of day, they illustrate how trading Colon could change the entire White Sox dynamic. It’s Kenny Williams’ turn to be creative.

1) Why in the world would Baltimore trade an up and coming all star combo CF/SS and their best starter for a lame ass LF and a reliever who is getting torched in AAA?

2) Erick Almonte just went on DL with possible knee injury, he has a terrible OBP, very overated Yankee prospect. Say no to that deal. We can get more for Colon.

Again, Chisoxfn, not trying to be argueative (if that is a friggin word). Just trying to be sensible. Have to remember the other GMs are not idiots. No way Carlos Lee would get us Melvin Mora straight up, and then Almonte for Ponson would be tossed aside like day old newspaper. I agree in trading for more athletic players, Mora is one guy I would love. I would say Orioles would do that trade for Lee or Borchard, Rauch/Wright, and two other high grade prospects, tho they are making a good run of it this year, and probably not willing to trade for future.

I think we need pitching, defense and speed. Runs will come. Gotta start getting rid of all our slugs and start getting athletes. Chisoxfn has right idea in getting athletes like Rivera, Almonte, Mora etc... but need to look at things like Defense and OBP and less at average and power. I just want an exciting team (oh to have a team like we had in early to mid 60s.

Again, Chisoxfn, not trying to be argueative (if that is a friggin word). Just trying to be sensible. Have to remember the other GMs are not idiots. No way Carlos Lee would get us Melvin Mora straight up, and then Almonte for Ponson would be tossed aside like day old newspaper. I agree in trading for more athletic players, Mora is one guy I would love. I would say Orioles would do that trade for Lee or Borchard, Rauch/Wright, and two other high grade prospects, tho they are making a good run of it this year, and probably not willing to trade for future.

:o dude mora sucks, id rather have lee.....

OK, one more comment, hate to hog the thread. I live in Minny and I hate the Twins. But they have such an exciting and fun team to watch. All of them play good to great D, they all run well, they have good pitching with very good bullpen. We can be like that. They laugh at our defense, one guy asked me when we ever had an athletic quick team. I cannot remember, certainly not since JR has been in charge.

A guy I would love to see the Sox go after is Beltran. I know that he is on the block and there was an article on yahoo sports that said the Sox are one of the teams interested. He is due for a big pay increase in the near future, but I like the idea of investing 10 million/yr in one of the top young CF's in the game. The guy is very consistant and does almost everything above average. He is a consistant .270+/20+/100+ 30+ 2B 50+ BB 25+ SB guy not to mention that he is probably the 3rd best defensive CF in the AL(behind Hunter and Cameron). He is also only 26, so I think it would be a great addition to the team and a centerpiece to build around. I would even include Borchard as part of a deal. A deal like Borchard, their choice between Miles/Hummel/Harris, and a marginal pitching prospect should be a pretty fair deal and enough to land Beltran.

As far as the Colon article goes on soxnet, I think a top of the order hitter isnt needed as much as he thinks. Jimenez is proving to be a very good leadoff hitter, and Reed looks like he would fit perfectly in the #2 hole with his good average, great plate disipline, gap power, and great speed. He could be in the majors by the AS break next year. I would be carefully with some of the Yankee prospects. They have a tendancy to overhype some of them. From what I have seen of Rivera and Almonte I am not all that impressed and think that the Sox could probably get a better deal elsewhere(Philly will probably be in the market for some pitching and could add payroll, as well as Boston).

As someone already pointed out the Baltimore deal is a joke. Mora really looks like a very good young player, and even though I think Lee could be in line for a breakout year, I doubt that Baltimore would do a Lee for Mora deal straight up. Almonte, as the article points out, is a 26 year old closer, with average stuff at best, who is getting hammered in AAA. He would be of little use in Baltimore and there is no way that you could get one of their better young starters for him.

As others have pointed out, the writters intentions are good, finding more athletic players, but the deals are a little off.

Hey I can't agree more. This isn't my column. I disagree with it. I think it was well written, but I don't think the top of the order (Jimenez and now Lee) has been the problem.

I also think its nuts to trade Colon without getting Weaver.

For a couple years, I have been the biggest fan of trading CLee, but I think he is finally starting to live up to his potential. He's swinging for the fences less, getting on base more, making better defensive plays, and hustling on the basepaths.

I'm not convinced on Mora either.

Guest hotsoxchick1
OK, one more comment, hate to hog the thread. I live in Minny and I hate the Twins. But they have such an exciting and fun team to watch. All of them play good to great D, they all run well, they have good pitching with very good bullpen. We can be like that. They laugh at our defense, one guy asked me when we ever had an athletic quick team. I cannot remember, certainly not since JR has been in charge.

they are good and they do something we dont.. they do not hit to go yard all the time.. they do the little things like knock em over and get em in stuff that we foregot about and havent done since 2000.......they also work together as a unit... not a bunch of individuals on the field........something again we havent done since 2000.....chemistry? probably so......whatever it is we havent had it here since 2000 and the twins have found it and capitolized on it the past couple of seasons now........we need to get it back in order to salvage some of this season or the upcoming season without it were sunk..........obviously.........on another note.. screw mora.. hes the clown boy who last season tossed a ball to the fans with 2 outs and we scored on them when we were there.. we have enough dumbasses on this team we dont need any more..........i think ill keep my chances with lee.........

Good additional comments on Twins. Very astute.

Still think people are missing it on Mora, I understand his lack of previous stats, and I do like CLee as well. But Mora is starting to come into his own too and gives us more than just a bat. But enough of my arguing the trade, ain't gonna happen anyway. I respect everyones opinion on Lee and Mora.

For a couple years, I have been the biggest fan of trading CLee, but I think he is finally starting to live up to his potential.  He's swinging for the fences less, getting on base more, making better defensive plays, and hustling on the basepaths. 

I'm not convinced on Mora either.

I think C Lee can be a great hitter like he showed last year when he started to hit in the number 3 hole. Mora would be a great CF. But i prefer taking Sanchez from the Red Sox, Boston has already Nomar in SS, i think we can take him.

Quote:

A deal like Borchard, their choice between Miles/Hummel/Harris, and a marginal pitching prospect should be a pretty fair deal and enough to land Beltran.

JUGGERNAUT:

Ideas like this are very nice, until you remember who owns the team.

Essentially any & all of your great trade ideas have to fit under a self-imposed salary cap by JR of 60mil. That's the highest he would ever be willing to fork over in contracts beyond 1 yr. He might go as high as 70mil for a single yr, but never beyond 60mil avg over 3 yrs.

With that in mind, here's the reality:

1) The SOX will pick up the 4mil option for E-LO.

2) Lee will be re-signed for about 5-6mil/yr for 3 yr. The potential+performance for the price makes Lee a good asset.

3) Val will be resigned for another yr at about 3mil. He is pretty solid vs RH (845 OPS) & there's no team in the league that will try him at SS any more, so I think the SOX can make use of him at 1B. His switch hitting days are over. He'll either remain a LH power bat, or he'll sit on the bench.

4) Konerko will be traded. I think the backlash vs him is huge. Being the slowest player on what is perceived as a slow team makes this a near certainty.

4) will offset 2)&3). 1) Is a +4mil.

5) Maggs will be traded. I could see Maggs going to Cincy for a pkg of slugger(s) either ML or ml. It could very well include Griffey. Whatever the pkg it will cost the SOX about 10mil/yr. Tops. Offsetting the +4 to keep E-LO.

6) The SOX will try again to re-sign MB. If they can't, then they will have to decide between Colon & MB. The one thing about Colon, is that his downside is FAR better than any pitcher the SOX have had in recent memory. In otherwords, there is no better investment in pitching than Colon. Even if you find down the road you can't afford him, he will always land a nice pkg in talent. It was sure luck & Yankee assets that landed the SOX colon for spare parts. It would be very foolish of the SOX to not capitalize on that long term. If I can only have 1, I'll take Colon.

The net effect of 6) will be +7-11mil. That would exceed the budget.

7) Thomas jumps to 6mil. +1mil. No one will want him now. His futility all but guarantees him another year with the CWS.

8) Garland, Koch, Marte, Glover will all cost the SOX an extra mil a pc. Maybe more. +5-6mil to keep them all. That would now push the payroll to +18mil or 70mil. That's not going to happen. The decision to keep Colon or Beurhle will cost the SOX likely Koch & Glover.

As you can see, being the GM of the SOX is a thankless & brutal job of bookkeeping more so than managing talent.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Trading C. Lee scares me.  He would be the type to break out right after we trade him.  Someday, maybe soon, Frank will be gone, then Lee could DH full time and we could put some "D" in left.

dont they all pretty much go to hell in a hand basket after we trade them.... outside of burns baby i cant think of too many who have been successful these days...........

You don't pick up a guy like Colon for one season. I would hope that KW and JR are looking ahead and past their noses! We would be better off signing Colon to a 3-5 year deal if at all possible. JR needs to show his commitment to a winner or sell to someone who will. We gave up some good potential for him and losing him after a year harkens back to the Ritchie deal.