Admission To U. of I. gets tougher

SnB

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SnB @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
LCR, you should come into some of the business classes I'm in.  Completely full of greeks that think they're all going to be a CEO of some company. 

Here's one of my theories: If you're wearing a north face jacket, there's a 95% chance I hate you.

You're right, there is an absolutely huge part of campus I dislike.....greatly.  But the place is so big, you can't help but find your own niche, and that's what I love about it.  It took me about 3 semesters to find it here, but I did and I've been loving it in champaign ever since.

I agree with a lot of what LCR said, as i hate a lot of people here too. SnB and i rant about some of these people all the time, it's fun.

But with so many people and so many things to do, you can find the things that you like and hopefully avoid the things you don't like (frats, s***ty bars, etc).

God that paragraph about kams and co's was priceless, just priceless.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 02:02 AM)
Interesting. The particular brand does attract an astounding number of douche bags....

Since this topic is taken off course, I'll add one of  my own theories concerning college. I noticed it several days ago.   

-Collar popping is exclusively a northside/downtown phenomenon. I've only turned 21 two weeks ago, but since I've been on spring break this week I've had time to go around numerous bars. Of the four I've been to on the Southside I haven't seen ONE  f***er popping their collar. Of the four I've been to on the Northside (spec. Rush/Division St.) there have been several in each bar. Wonder what could be said about that.

Which did you go to?

QUOTE(SnB @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
comparing public to private is like apples to oranges.  But it's one of the top public schools in the country, so as an in-state tuition option, it's hard to beat.

I totally agree and it's a great school... It's just my opinion that the academic goals of students at NW are not even in the same league as the academic goals of those at U of I. So not even so much a comparison of the schools themselves as much as the comparison of the students.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 05:59 AM)
I totally agree and it's a great school... It's just my opinion that the academic goals of students at NW are not even in the same league as the academic goals of those at U of I. So not even so much a comparison of the schools themselves as much as the comparison of the students.

i'll agree to that.

To be fair LCR, a lot of those bars are filled with Parkland kids. Not the local ones that go there, but the ones whose parents pay $10 grand to live at private housing on UIUC's campus, 10 miles away from their Junior College. :rolly

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
To be fair LCR, a lot of those bars are filled with Parkland kids.  Not the local ones that go there, but the ones whose parents pay $10 grand  to live at private housing on UIUC's campus, 10 miles away from their Junior College. :rolly

really? I can't say I've ever run across alot of those.

Those bars are filled with the greeks and with freshmen that don't know any better.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
A paper enscribed "Northwestern" is worth more than "University of Illinois," but why? Reputation. Professors with published material in their field and extended education select schools known for their high standards. But truthfully, is a professor with an elaborate resume and 15 years of experience any better at teaching material than someone less credited, although with 25+ years?...U of I probably dos have their share of quality professors.

Professors tend to choose schools not only based on prestige, but ones with facilities and graduate students that will maximize their publication output. In several departments, U of I is in a better position to provide facilities (instruments) for professors than Northwestern because the departments are larger, with more faculty bringing in more grant money. The larger departments also mean that they hire more graduate students for TA positions. Because the university pays the graduate stipends, professors can take on more graduate students (and increase productivity in their labs) without having to use their own grant money to pay these extra students. Of course, the flip side to that argument is that "more prestigious" private schools inherently have higher-caliber graduate students, but I think that the difference in comparison with U of I is minimal. In terms of the faculty quality, you have to be a bad-ass to get a tenure-track position at U fo I. They hire the cream of the crop over there.

I'd say that U of I is right there with Northwestern in science and engineering. Hell, I'd argue that their science programs are even better. But it's my understanding that Northwestern has much better law and journalism programs.

Just because they're not appointed with a spot on Princeton Review/US News doesn't mean s***.

Agreed. The program I was in for my doctorate was ranked #1 by U.S. News when I entered. Several faculty left the department (retirement, death, etc.) over my six-year tenure and the program ranking only went down to #2 when I left. There's absolutely no way in hell that they were even in the Top 5 at that point, and probably not even the Top 10. That's how much reputation plays into these rankings.

U of I will always be ranked lower than some of the private schools simply because it's a public university. It was a very good school when I was accepted there back in the early '90s and, given that people getting 30s their ACTs aren't getting in now, it sounds like it's getting a lot more selective.

By the way, I turned down a postdoctoral position at Northwestern last winter and decided to work in a lab at a "lesser" school. Rankings and reputation aren't everything.

QUOTE(SnB @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 07:42 PM)
Here's one of my theories: If you're wearing a north face jacket, there's a 95% chance I hate you.

When you live in a place where it rains 6 days a week in the winter, you don't have much of a choice. Carrying an umbrella around everywhere become a serious drag.

Edited by WCSox

A lot of hate towards people who were in a Fraternity or Sorority? Care to elaborate? I was a Sigma Chi at OSU.

Also, you really still see people popping their collar? That is pretty old school nowadays. I mean I thought it was big back about 3-4 years ago.

I forgot to add that I also own a NorthFace.

Edited by THEWOOD

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)
A lot of hate towards people who were in a Fraternity or Sorority?  Care to elaborate?  I was a Sigma Chi at OSU.

Also, you really still see people popping their collar?  That is pretty old school nowadays.  I mean I thought it was big back about 3-4 years ago.

I forgot to add that I also own a NorthFace.

i just joined a frat at mizzou...i realized that all the negative predispositions i had against frats were correct. but...such is life. It's not that bad but then again my frat is 2 years old and such...frats like pike all those kids who stare at their arms when they open doors...god..f***in hate them. I hate myself too so...

edit...i don't wear a northface but i had a large ink stain over my pocket from a pen...so i thought to sand it out... i accidentally sanded through the pocket too...i wondered what had caused my sudden loss of intelligence...you guess...

Edited by bmags

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
i just joined a frat at mizzou...i realized that all the negative predispositions i had against frats were correct. but...such is life. It's not that bad but then again my frat is 2 years old and such...frats like pike all those kids who stare at their arms when they open doors...god..f***in hate them. I hate myself too so...

edit...i don't wear a northface but i had a large ink stain over my pocket from a pen...so i thought to sand it out... i accidentally sanded through the pocket too...i wondered what had caused my sudden loss of intelligence...you guess...

sandpaper? inkstain? what in the world are you talking about? Actually I highly doubt you know anything about fraternities since you say that all the negative predispositions came true. Why would you join in the first place?

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
A lot of hate towards people who were in a Fraternity or Sorority?  Care to elaborate?  I was a Sigma Chi at OSU.

For one I don't need to buy my friends. I would actually like to hear what is so great about a frat. Everytime I've asked for an explanation from friends of mine who are in them, I get nothing that makes any sense.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)

It's the people that are in them, that's the problem.

the ink stain was set and it was my only pair of jeans...so i'm like i know i'll sand a hole through that spot...but it didn't work well.

edit: i joined because ours was new (2 years) and a bunch of my friends who were real characters joined and i have no back bone but we have fun. We will control it in two years and run it in the ground. take down the system from the inside...

hey guys lets go sing to a sorority post haste!

Edited by bmags

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Mar 26, 2006 -> 04:05 AM)
Ding ding ding.  We have a winnar.

Not every frat/sorority member is a douchebag but most of the douchebags I've ever met belonged to one.

i'm pretty much an asshole and i learned that assholes and douchebags aren't neccessarily a good mix...sometimes i rule thou.