Final Four

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't decided what's more amazing, the fact GMU beat UNC, Michigan State, a strong Wichita State team, and UConn to make the Final 4 out of the CAA, or the fact they had not won a SINGLE TOURNAMENT GAME IN SCHOOL HISTORY as of 2 weeks ago.

George Mason only finished 2nd in their league to UNC Wilmington, who the the RS and Tourney titles. They lost twice to Hofstra, who supposedly should have got in over George Mason. This is beyond mind boggling.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Who do you guys like now that we know who's in the Final 4? Of course George Mason can't be counted out, but IMO Florida is the clear favorite right now. They have the dominant inside player(s), the solid point guard, and the balance.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 26, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
Who do you guys like now that we know who's in the Final 4?  Of course George Mason can't be counted out, but IMO Florida is the clear favorite right now.  They have the dominant inside player(s), the solid point guard, and the balance.

LSU all the way. I think their front-court will be too much for any team to handle.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 26, 2006 -> 06:45 PM)
LSU all the way.  I think their front-court will be too much for any team to handle.

Horford and Noah can at least play close to them, and Florida's guards are vastly superior. For the record, Florida beat LSU by 9 at home and by 16 in the SEC Tournament already this year (although Tyrus Thomas didn't play in the SEC Tourney game, so that means little).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 26, 2006 -> 06:50 PM)
Horford and Noah can at least play close to them, and Florida's guards are vastly superior.  For the record, Florida beat LSU by 9 at home and by 16 in the SEC Tournament already this year (although Tyrus Thomas didn't play in the SEC Tourney game, so that means little).

LSUs fg% defense in the tourney is something like 33.4%. That's mind-boggling. I just can't see anybody beating them.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 26, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
LSUs fg% defense in the tourney is something like 33.4%.  That's mind-boggling.  I just can't see anybody beating them.

Florida FG defense: 80-243 32.9 percent

LSU FG defense: 84-248 33.9 percent

Florida played South Alabama (14), UW-Milwaukee (11), Georgetown (7), and Villanova (1)

LSU played Iona (13), Texas A&M (12), Duke (1), and Texas (2)

Pretty much the same competition, except LSU's Texas (a 2) to Florida's Georgetown (a 7). But Texas shot 46.6 percent this year to Georgetown's 46.8 percent, basically a wash.

Florida's frontcourt can match LSU, their defense can match LSU, and their guards are MUCH better on offense.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 26, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
Florida FG defense: 80-243 32.9 percent

LSU FG defense: 84-248 33.9 percent

Florida played South Alabama (14), UW-Milwaukee (11), Georgetown (7), and Villanova (1)

LSU played Iona (13), Texas A&M (12), Duke (1), and Texas (2)

Pretty much the same competition, except LSU's Texas (a 2) to Florida's Georgetown (a 7).  But Texas shot 46.6 percent this year to Georgetown's 46.8 percent, basically a wash.

Florida's frontcourt can match LSU, their defense can match LSU, and their guards are MUCH better on offense.

I'll admit, I didn't know Florida's fg% defense was that low. However, I feel LSU has gone up against better teams. What guard does Florida have that's considerably better than Darrel Mitchell? I can't think of one.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 26, 2006 -> 07:54 PM)
I'll admit,  I didn't know Florida's fg% defense was that low.  However,  I feel LSU has gone up against better teams.  What guard does Florida have that's considerably better than Darrel Mitchell?  I can't think of one.

Ok I guess after further review I was wrong. Mitchell numberswise is by far the superior guard on offense, however in terms of guard depth, Florida BLOWS LSU away.

Taurean Green averages 13.4 and 5 dimes a game, Lee Humphrey is at 10.7 and 2 dimes a game, and Brewer (who can play guard or forward) averages 12.6, 4.7 rebounds, and 3.4 dimes a game. Also, all have plus dime/turnover ratios.

Darrel Mitchell is the only LSU guard that averages more than 5 points a game. He averages 17 a game along with 4 and a half dimes and 3 turnovers a game. He also shoots a solid 44 percent from the field and 40 from the arc. The thing with Mitchell is his shot has really been off this tournament since the perimeter defense is ALL OVER HIM since no other LSU guards have any offensive game at all.