Boone Logan makes roster; Javier Lopez sent to AAA

SSH2005

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

White Sox make two roster moves

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The Chicago White Sox have reassigned left-handed pitcher Javier Lopez and right-hander Tim Redding to minor-league camp.

With the moves, the White Sox have 26 players remaining in camp: 12 pitchers, two catchers, nine infielders and three outfielders.

"The Legend of Boone Logan" continues...

Edited by SSH2005

Well, you do gotta say he earned it.

Hopefully, Lopez will tear it up at AAA, and we'll have no need of him in the big leagues because our 3 other lefties will each figure out whatever they need.

Boone Logan for ROY...the campaign starts here.

Hermanson to the DL, Lopez to AAA, that makes 27. Did they do anything else? Comcast said they were going to get to 25 tonight. Maybe they are going to get another reliever.

Tim Redding was also sent to minor-league camp. The roster is at 26 now.

Edited by SSH2005

I believe Chris Getz is the 26th player who will be off the 25-man roster soon. Looks like our roster is now set with both Logan and Thornton making the team and Hermanson heading to the DL.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)
I believe Chris Getz is the 26th man who will be off the 25-man roster soon.  Looks like our roster is now set with both Logan and Thornton making the team.

That's right. I don't know how to add.

Thornton

Logan

Cotts

Politte

McCarthy

Jenks

If a couple of these guys struggle, it could mean a 12 man staff, and the demise of one Ross Gload.

That's right. I don't know how to add.

Thornton

Logan

Cotts

Politte

McCarthy

Jenks

If a couple of these guys struggle, it could mean a 12 man staff, and the demise of one Ross Gload.

My guess would be Thornton or Ozuna in that case, depending on how Thornton is pitching at the time. Ozuna has a split contract. I think the Sox would risk one of them to waivers trying to sneak them to AAA to add another reliever. Gload is our backup 1B and fifth outfielder. The Sox don't want Thome playing 1B. He's our full-time DH.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
My guess would be Thornton or Ozuna in that case, depending on how Thornton is pitching at the time.  Ozuna has a split contract.  I think the Sox would risk one of them to waivers trying to sneak them to AAA to add another reliever.  Gload is our backup 1B and fifth outfielder.  The Sox don't want Thome playing 1B.  He's our full-time DH.

Ozuna can also play 1b in a pinch, and can pinch run and is a good bunter, something Ozzie loves. I thought Ozuna was also out of options. If the Sox need a first baseman there's always Bucky.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
You are correct but he's still in camp, he has not been reassigned.  I believe they're trying to work out a trade for Nomo, we should know soon.

Would somebody actually give the Sox something for Nomo? Maybe if they threw him in a deal I would guess.

Ozuna can also play 1b in a pinch, and can pinch run and is a good bunter, something Ozzie loves. I thought Ozuna was also out of options. If the Sox need a first baseman there's always Bucky.

I doubt the Sox want to use Ozuna at 1B during the season unless completely necessary. Cintron makes Ozuna pretty expendable IMO, other than as a pinch-runner off the bench. Of course, Ozzie does love Ozuna.

Would somebody actually give the Sox something for Nomo? Maybe if they threw him in a deal I would guess.

Maybe if he would have pitched well this spring. But he's been horrible. I would be surprised if the Sox could even get a warm bucket of piss for him now.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 11:41 PM)
At least we know something about this year's spring training. The Sox minor league camp is now loaded with left handed relief pitchers who suck.

i could probably replace one of them for the year without anyone noticing =P

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 05:40 PM)
I doubt the Sox want to use Ozuna at 1B during the season unless completely necessary.  Cintron makes Ozuna pretty expendable IMO, other than as a pinch-runner off the bench.  Of course, Ozzie does love Ozuna.

The Sox did fine with Gload at Charlotte last year. I really think Ozzie saying Thome is a DH is his way of justifying a roster spot for Gload, especially considering he did earn one. Ozzie used Dye at SS and Widger at 3B last year, I don't think he'd hesitate to put Thome at 1B if it became necessary. Mackowiak and Cintron can also play 1B, as well as Dye if the situation was desperate.

Ozuna will be on the roster.  That shouldn't even be in doubt.

As DJ would say, "No question".

One thing to think about ... sometimes with these veteran guys like Jeff Nelson or Mike Koplove, a team can work out a contract where they pitch in AAA and if a roster spot doesn't open within, say, 30-45 days the player can ask for his release.

Having said that I highly doubt a guy like Nelson would agree to pitch in AAA, he doesn't need a job that bad.

The thing is, Redding is not really good at all but they kept him around all spring and he's apparantly agreed to go to Charlotte and not request a release. So he is depth if the situation gets desperate. Javier Lopez is depth in case Boone Logan can't get it done.

So it looks like the 25 man roster is set once they do something with Nomo. 11 pitchers break camp ... Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Garland, Vazquez, Jenks, Cotts, Politte, McCarthy, Thornton, Logan.

The fluidity of this situation to me is Thornton. If they can get him straightened out so they have confidence to use him in tough situations, it might allow them to option Boone Logan out and bring in a veteran arm in the Jeff Nelson/Koplove mold.

Also IMO the only roster guy remotely in danger of losing a spot is Gload. But he's made the team for now, and rightfully so.