Comcast Blew It Last Night!

retro1983hat

Last night I was so pumped because Comcast and the Sox said that all the pregame ceremonies would be shown on Comcast, including ALL video montages.

Not only did they cut away from the only montage they showed 6 seconds into it, they never showed the pregame montage they promised that all of us at home wanted to see.

In addition, the introductions were terrible. The organ music was so loud, you couldn't hear the crowd cheering for each player as they were introduced. I taped it, and didn't even bother to save it.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 07:28 AM)
Last night I was so pumped because Comcast and the Sox said that all the pregame ceremonies would be shown on Comcast, including ALL video montages.

Not only did they cut away from the only montage they showed 6 seconds into it, they never showed the pregame montage they promised that all of us at home wanted to see.

In addition, the introductions were terrible. The organ music was so loud, you couldn't hear the crowd cheering for each player as they were introduced. I taped it, and didn't even bother to save it.

I agree. I was at the game last night...until the 4th inning...and when I got home, I watched the 6 o'clock coverage and like you said...it sucked. The camera just stared at the banners. MEanwhile, the montage they showed was great. And you couldn't tell how crazy the crowd was. The crowd thought it was the World Series again. It was great. Too bad no one at home could tell.

I'll agree to this one. It really seemed like the comcast never got the cues from the sox as to when everything was going to happen, I don't know whose fault that is, but comcast just seemed to be flying by the seat of their pants.

After being at the game and then watching the Comcast broadcast this morning, I feel horrible for the Sox fans at home cuz it didn't come close to what it was like at the park....The video montages were simply outstanding, the crowd noise was like when Paulie hit the slam in Gm 2 and the banners were just perfect....Comcast should apologize for that Tee Ball effort :headshake

i was rather disappointed myself. esp since comcast went black and then came back on with no volume...also i thought having the cameras stare at the banners was lame...would have been cool if they showed the fans. glad to hear though from those who were at the game how amazing it was...i hope someone will post clips, photos, etc on here so that those of us who werent there can enjoy it. i hope they don't do the same thing tomorrow with the ring ceremony. i'll be at the game, but i'm tivo-ing it here at home so we'll see.

I was at the park and the people at home definitely missed out, but there really was no way around it, unless they did a split screen, half on the video and half on the banners. it is a tough situation and i guess comcast thought that people cared more about the banners because in fact, that was what the ceremony was for. it was a lose-lose situation, if they didnt show the banners than people would be b****ing about that too.

On a light note, i thought ESPNs video at the begining was awesome, i was happy to watch that this morning. Anyone know the song in that video?

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
How do we complain to Comcast? Maybe they could do a make-good if they knew how many people feel they screwed up. I'm sure the Sox would provide the video to them.

That's the one thing that bothers me about Comcast....Didn't they or shouldn't they have known beforehand what the Sox plans' were gonna be for the Banner ceremony if they were going to carry live? I knew after watching the divisional montage when they were gonna drop the curtain on the following banners, couldn't a TV director/producer have figured that out as well?!?

QUOTE(Allsox @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)
That's the one thing that bothers me about Comcast....Didn't they or shouldn't they have known beforehand what the Sox plans' were gonna be for the Banner ceremony if they were going to carry live? I knew after watching the divisional montage when they were gonna drop the curtain on the following banners, couldn't a TV director/producer have figured that out as well?!?

They showed part of the first montage but then nothing else. It looked like they were having technical problems picking up the video feed, kind of like they did during the WS rally last October.

QUOTE(SoxPhan7 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 10:49 AM)
On a light note, i thought ESPNs video at the begining was awesome, i was happy to watch that this morning. Anyone know the song in that video?

Yes, that opening was fantastic. I know it's taboo around here to praise ESPN, but I thought they did an excellent job last night. Even Joe Morgan wasn't quite as annoying as usual (although I got a little sick of John Miller's interperetation of Iguchi's name).

So if you were at the game, you missed that. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

:P

As far as Comcast goes, they definitely blew it last night. The one thing that drove me crazy was that the two commentators (forget their names) would not stop talking. They were giving us the f***ing station ID right in the middle of player introductions, and they kept talking over Gene Honda to explain what was happening. Sometimes we don't need to be told what we are seeing.

Edited by KevHead0881

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)
The coverage was terrible.  They said they were going to show the montages and blew it.  It looked like they had one guy on his camcorder trying to bootleg the event.  Incredibly disappointing.

Fully agree. It felt the the Ames, Iowa Comcast team was in charge of the event. Very low rent. I hope Brooks realizes that what was shown and what was going to be shown were two different things.

This from Teddy Greenstein's column last week:

Prime time

Even though ESPN2 will carry the Sox's Sunday night opener, Comcast SportsNet will celebrate the occasion in style.

The network's pregame special begins at 6 p.m. and will feature interviews with Reinsdorf and Mark Buehrle, a retrospective on the 2005 season and a live feed of all the stadium JumboTron montages.

Before carrying Tuesday's Sox game, CSN's one-hour special will have live coverage of the championship ring ceremony. Other highlights of CSN's coverage of 171 Cubs and Sox games:

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
Listening to Carmen and Silvy today, Comcast defenitly heard some pissed off people. Alot of the show they were talking about how bad the camera work was and how they seemed suprised about everything that was happening.

Once again, I am really sorry to those who watched that, because the Sox put on a great show.

Between comcast sucking and insight communications losing espn2 after the 2nd batter (and it was still out as of 9:00 this morning, who knows if it's even back yet), us champaign-ers had a lot to be pissed off about.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)
Im sure Steve hated me by the end of the night, but I felt I needed to give him updates from time to time.... :rolly

At one point we had 4 of us on phones with family and friends, trying to figure out what was going on with the game and then later the rain delay. Felt like we were living in a cave except with cell phones. We probly made 50 calls between us in a few hours getting updates, checking places to see if they had the game, etc. Ugh. At least we saw from the post rain delay on.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
Im sure Steve hated me by the end of the night, but I felt I needed to give him updates from time to time.... :rolly

f*** that, we needed guys like you to help us out.

WE'RE STRANDED AND SURROUNED BY CORNFIELDS! :P