Duke Lacrosse Rape Allegation

southsider2k5

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:26 AM)
I don't think the lacrosse players raped her, BUT -- let's stop trying to make out these guys as poor, put-upon innocents. There's a lot to suggest that many of the players are just racist, spoiled scum. The email, the broom handle suggestion, the "cotton shirt" comment. The most obvious reason to make the accusations is not money, but as a reaction to the general assholeness of the players. I don't want to see anyone wrongly convicted, but beyond that, f*** them.

They're rich white folk, and she's a poor black stripper. It's ok, they're clearly better than her.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 17, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
I don't think the lacrosse players raped her, BUT -- let's stop trying to make out these guys as poor, put-upon innocents. There's a lot to suggest that many of the players are just racist, spoiled scum. The email, the broom handle suggestion, the "cotton shirt" comment. The most obvious reason to make the accusations is not money, but as a reaction to the general assholeness of the players. I don't want to see anyone wrongly convicted, but beyond that, f*** them.

oh i agree, i'm sure they're annoying jerks and if i met them i would think they were idiots. but being an annoying idiot doesn't really mean you should go to prison... if it did balta would be posting from Joliet, serving a life sentence (i keeeed! i keeeed!)

QUOTE(mr_genius @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:33 AM)
oh i agree, i'm sure they're annoying jerks and if i met them i would think they were idiots. but being an annoying idiot doesn't really mean you should go to prison... if it did balta would be posting from Joliet, serving a life sentence (i keeeed! i keeeed!)

As long as they hold me at Fox River...I'm set.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 17, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)

Who is worse, some assholes or someone who faked a rape to try and send some "assholes" to jail.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 17, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
As long as they hold me at Fox River...I'm set.

Oh, and Great prison break reference.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 17, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
Who is worse, some assholes or someone who faked a rape to try and send some "assholes" to jail.

I'm not saying she comes off well. But that doesn't mean I have much (really, any) sympathy with the lacrosse players. I'll wait for the evidence, but as of now, I'm hoping they don't go to jail. I hope they don't get jack s*** besides that, though.

Personally, I'd go further -- I can't really imagine how I'd feel after going through that (I don't mean being raped, I mean just what the players agree did happen). But I'd sure as hell be thinking about getting back at them. At least it makes sense to me, even if it's obviously the wrong choice. "I'm not saying he should have killed her...but I understand." But as far as the case goes, that's neither here nor there. The 'moral case' is irrelevant for the legal one.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 17, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
I'm not saying she comes off well. But that doesn't mean I have much (really, any) sympathy with the lacrosse players. I'll wait for the evidence, but as of now, I'm hoping they don't go to jail. I hope they don't get jack s*** besides that, though.

Personally, I'd go further -- I can't really imagine how I'd feel after going through that (I don't mean being raped, I mean just what the players agree did happen). But I'd sure as hell be thinking about getting back at them. At least it makes sense to me, even if it's obviously the wrong choice. "I'm not saying he should have killed her...but I understand." But as far as the case goes, that's neither here nor there. The 'moral case' is irrelevant for the legal one.

I do have sympathy for them. Do you know how many parties in college have stripers at them? We had at least 4 a year, its a commonplace. Secondly, because of this bogus accusation, they lost their season, their reputation, and their privacy. It sucks.

Its blatently obvious that this was a sham, and its pathetic.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 17, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
It's blatantly obvious that the media set a narrative regarding this and nothing is blatantly obvious except that the defense team is fighting this case in the public arena and that the DA's office isn't.

It may not be blatantly obvious, but if it looks like a duck...........

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 17, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
It's blatantly obvious that the media set a narrative regarding this and nothing is blatantly obvious except that the defense team is fighting this case in the public arena and that the DA's office isn't.

my guess: the DA isn't coming forward with anything cause he's got nothing. he won his election now he's gonna sit on the case for a year and hope people forget about it.

Any DA that decides its a better idea to fight his battles with the press than in front of a judge does not deserve to be a DA. I don't know what's going on and frankly, these celebrity cases come too quickly for me. I'm still trying to find that highschooler in Aruba.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 17, 2006 -> 08:53 PM)
Any DA that decides its a better idea to fight his battles with the press than in front of a judge does not deserve to be a DA. I don't know what's going on and frankly, these celebrity cases come too quickly for me. I'm still trying to find that highschooler in Aruba.

He was pretty damn friendly with the press until the dna results came back. Say what you want, that's more than a little suspicious.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 17, 2006 -> 05:35 PM)
I do have sympathy for them. Do you know how many parties in college have stripers at them? We had at least 4 a year, its a commonplace. Secondly, because of this bogus accusation, they lost their season, their reputation, and their privacy. It sucks.

Oh, that's fine. Everyone loves candy. :D

This isn't about having strippers. If they want to go to a strip show, fine. If they want to hire strippers, okay, go for it. If they want to pressure the strippers to, uh, utilize broom handles, get aggresive enough that the strippers they hired lock themselves in the bathroom, shout racist remarks as they're leaving, and send emails about skinning people alive, then I'm not so accepting. There's just some line between being a rowdy and being a thug, and that behavior crosses it. And I don't care a jot if it's common.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 17, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)

Ah no wonder you are so viament about this. Personal bias

Just because you were at frat parties were strippers were not harassed or abused does not mean in this case that it did not happen. I have been to my fair share of frat parties with strippers, the difference is at the end of the night the strippers went home and did not go to the police.

Also, why would the DA ever reveal his case to the public?

Even if he had a video tape of the Duke Lacrosse players nailing the stripper to the cross, then raping her with a broomstick and calling it the "spear of destiny" it would do absolutely nothing towards convicting the players. If anything it would make it so that it would be harder in voire dire because the defense is going to argue that every juror in the area has been tainted by the DA's release of evidence.

The prosecution will get the first and last statement at trial, they do not need the hijinks of the press. That is the defense game, if they can get public pressure high enough, the DA may be forced to shut down the case even if he has the evidence.

Im the first person to say, "innocent until proven guilty", but that is not what this thread is about. If I was the defense attorney in a high profile case, I would be more afraid of the DA who keeps his cards close to the vest, than the DA who is trying to convict my client in public. If they are going the second route, you know the case is weak, because why not just save it for trial?

It would be like the Bears, etc unvieling their best new play in pre-season when it doesnt count.

The defense has a million reasons to try and take the case to the public, plea bargain, charges dropped, etc. The prosecution has very little, because in the end it is the DA who decides whether or not to go forward, not the public and not the defense attorney.

An update of sort, apparently Nifong released 'everything he has' to the defense, 1300 pages of stuff.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196631,00.html

In it, it contains information that the accuser supposedly "had sexual intercourse with at least three men around the time of the alleged attack. According to those sources, when investigators questioned her after DNA tests on the semen found inside her body did not match any of the Duke players, the accuser gave police the name of her boyfriend and two men who drove her to her dancing engagements."

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ May 24, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
An update of sort, apparently Nifong released 'everything he has' to the defense, 1300 pages of stuff.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196631,00.html

In it, it contains information that the accuser supposedly "had sexual intercourse with at least three men around the time of the alleged attack. According to those sources, when investigators questioned her after DNA tests on the semen found inside her body did not match any of the Duke players, the accuser gave police the name of her boyfriend and two men who drove her to her dancing engagements."

Not in any way, shape, or form a defense of this woman... but how many partners a woman had means nothing. Prostitutes get raped. "Leaving Los Vegas" sadly is an everyday occurance.

At this point, it almost seems worthless to point to semen as evidence. Correct me if Im wrong, but wasnt this rape more of an act of sodomy with the broomstick, hence the reason that there is no DNA?

because of the (supposed) lack of evidence it looks like it is going to come down to her word against theirs in the court, and that doesnt look too good for the defense.