Thome or D- Lee

Timoperezrulez

Who will end up with more homers this year?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who will end up with more homers this year?

• Jim Thome
    • Derek Lee

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
I'm no Cubs fan, but I honestly think D-Lee is probably the best all-around player right now.  And a class act.

Better all-around than A-Rod, who plays a much thougher position and has been infinitely more consistant over the course of his career? Derek Lee is a damn good player but he's not the best all-around especially seeing how he's only done it for one season. Bobby Abreu is a better example of a 5-tool player if you're looking for one.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
I'm no Cubs fan, but I honestly think D-Lee is probably the best all-around player right now.  And a class act.

all around? Yes, only if personality and class were key factors. But, I would have to take Arod over him like kalapse. I would take Pujols over DLee 10 out of 10 times also. Dlee may have an edge on D, but, Pujols is way more proven and consistent.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
all around? Yes, only if personality and class were key factors.  But, I would have to take Arod over him like kalapse.  I would take Pujols over DLee 10 out of 10 times also.  Dlee may have an edge on D, but, Pujols is way more proven and consistent.

If it comes down to a choice between Pujols and Derek Lee, it's not even close they're both great guys so that isn't really a factor and Pujols' defense at first base is good enough that it wouldn't really sway me either way and IMO Pujols is the best hitter in baseball so it's pretty much a blow out. The only real thing you're getting with Lee is an increase in speed from Albert and I don't find that to be incredibly important for my 1B.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
If it comes down to a choice between Pujols and Derek Lee, it's not even close they're both great guys so that isn't really a factor and Pujols' defense at first base is good enough that it wouldn't really sway me either way and IMO Pujols is the best hitter in baseball so it's pretty much a blow out. The only real thing you're getting with Lee is an increase in speed from Albert and I don't find that to be incredibly important for my 1B.

Pujols, Lee and Thome may be 3 of the greatest guys in the game. But back to Pujols and Lee, you are right, it's not even close imo. Lee has an advantage with speed and defense but not a drastic difference. It is not anything against Lee picking Pujols over him, its just Pujols might be considered one of the 5 best players of all time if he can continue this pace he started in 2001.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
Is no one holding out for Konerko to hit more homers than Thome and Lee?

I think it's highly possible that happens. I just don't see Lee matching his total from last year because even if he were performing at the same level he's probably not going to see quite as many good pitches to crush. I think he ends up with a total in the high 30's, which should put him in roughly the same spot as Konerko. If he stays healthy the whole year, Thome could easily reach the mid-40's, especially considering that the Cell can be a launching pad in mid-summer. Plus last year was Lee's first year with more than 32 homers.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(POPPY_HIDALGO @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
I'll guarantee you that Konerko has more homers than Thome. Considering Thome won't make it all the way through this season injury free.

So Thome has one injury-plagued year and suddenly he's a serious injury threat? The guy has played at least 140 games in 8 of the last 10 years. That's pretty durable.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
I think Thome can make it through the season injury-free.

I don't think that Konerko will hit more homeruns than Thome. I know it is too early to say this but Konerko is never really consistent. For example in one season Konerko had a great batting statistics that the season after that well? Konerko's bat was cold for the first half of the season. All I am saying that we can't afford a guy to have a cold bat during one half of the season and the other half of the season an awesome bat. You never know what season a guy's bat can become extremely cold or extremely warm! :huh I guess thats what baseball is all about because you never know when a player is good one season, than the next season he has a total opposite season like the previous season.

I don't think Lee will be able to put up quite the numbers he did last year, but even if he does...Thome gets to play in the Cell.

I think Konerko will outproduce Thome in RBI, probably batting average, but I think Jim will take the home run number, simply because he's so bloody strong.

My predicted stat lines for the 3 players in question:

Derek Lee- 38 homers, 105 RBI, .290 average

Jim Thome- 41 homers, 100 RBI, .275 average

Paul Konerko- 37 homers, 115 RBI, .278 average

I would say that Thome would hit even more homers, but I expect somewhere around 140 games played, and he's a bit streaky so there might be a 2 homer month at some point.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Thome's going to break the Single Season Home Run Record.

Actually, somewhere last night I read an article on some blog from a Phillies fan begging Thome to break the Single Season HR record because they thought he was the only one who could legitimately do it and they were badmouthing McGuire, Sosa and Bonds as phonies. I thought it was kind of nifty how people put their hopes in their player like that and write an "open letter" to them begging them to do that.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 10:24 AM)
Thome's going to break the Single Season Home Run Record.

Actually, somewhere last night I read an article on some blog from a Phillies fan begging Thome to break the Single Season HR record because they thought he was the only one who could legitimately do it and they were badmouthing McGuire, Sosa and Bonds as phonies. I thought it was kind of nifty how people put their hopes in their player like that and write an "open letter" to them begging them to do that.

I believe Jayson Stark (or at least one of the other ESPN guys) wrote something like that before the 2005 season asking Thome to try to hit 50, just to prove it could be done without steroids.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
I believe Jayson Stark (or at least one of the other ESPN guys) wrote something like that before the 2005 season asking Thome to try to hit 50, just to prove it could be done without steroids.

I'm not placing any bets on how many Homers Thome will hit this year, but he seems hungry and looks to be hitting the ball as well as ever, so I wouldn't be stunned if he did.