Top 10 Pitching Combinations

rventura23

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for those guys to get the good press -- I'm sure that must be a boost for all of their egos, from the oft-injured Burnett to the currently injured Halladay. Mark Prior must be holding his heart (with his left arm, of course) and smiling.

At the end of the day, it'll be our Staff with something to really smile about. They should enjoy the Good Press while they have it. :)

First off, Buehrle and (insert name here) should be on the list.

Second off, no way should Mussina and Johnson be on the list.

Also, Beckett and Schilling No.1? What the f*** did those losers do last year to merit this spot?

Also funny that they gave no love to Cleveland either. I think Lee and Sabathia/Westbrook could deserve mention.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 06:11 PM)

Also, Beckett and Schilling No.1?  What the f*** did those losers do last year to merit this spot?

Also funny that they gave no love to Cleveland either.  I think Lee and Sabathia/Westbrook could deserve mention.

They're from Boston -- that's what they did to deserve it. Nothing Sports Illustrated loves more than a team from NY, Boston or St. Louis.

:canada

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 07:11 PM)

Also, Beckett and Schilling No.1?  What the f*** did those losers do last year to merit this spot?

Also funny that they gave no love to Cleveland either.  I think Lee and Sabathia/Westbrook could deserve mention.

I think Buehrle and Contreras can easily be on the list at this point. The problem is that it's difficult to pick two out of these 5. By the end of the season, it could be Vasquez and Contreras as the best guys. It's much easier to pick from some of those teams where they only have two good starters.

QUOTE(G&T @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
I think Buehrle and Contreras can easily be on the list at this point. The problem is that it's difficult to pick two out of these 5. By the end of the season, it could be Vasquez and Contreras as the best guys. It's much easier to pick from some of those teams where they only have two good starters.

Right now Mark and JC should be on that list. By the end of the year it'll be JC and Vaz imo. Some of those are seriously retarded. Schilling/Beckett is pretty laughable at 2 imo. Zambrano is virtually there by himself.

- lackey and colon? please.

- johnson and the moose? nothing against johnson, but he got absolutely rocked last year. what makes him so awesome all of a sudden?

- zambrano and prior. when prior isnt injured. the one thing that i have to tip my hat to SI for doing on this one is showing prior in warmups, not pitching. you know, since he is yet to this year.

this is crap as usual from SI. Im once again glad i dont have a subscription. and i've always thought it was lame that they try to reel dudes in with the swimsuit issue. i can find every one of those models nude with a google search with the safesearch feature off. give me a frickin break.

:P What a joke. I just read that about 5 minutes ago and just laughed my ass off. Buehrle plus Garland/Garcia/Vazquez/Contreras/McCarthy (yes, McCarthy) is better than half of the ones up there. ZAMBRANO AND PRIOR?! BECKETT AND SCHILLING?!

*is laughing*

Huddy/Smoltz

Mulder/Carpenter

Pettite/Oswalt (I could buy this)

Zito/Harden

Those all I can buy. I can even buy Zambrono/Prior just because Zambrono is so dominate. But If I subscribe to that same philosphy Johan/ANYONE as well as Contreras/Buehrle would be on that list.

Beckett/Schill #1, what the hell did they do last year and Glavine/Pedro well I just don't think Glavine is that good anymore, however Pedro is still pretty freaking great.

Johnson/Mussina is a joke, just about as big as Beckett/Schill. I think Colon/Lackey could round out the list for sure (Colon is pretty damn good). I could maybe buy a Halladay/Burnett if both were healthy, cause each have a lot of potential and well Halladay has been one of the better pitchers over the past few years.

Most of those pairings aren't all that good. A couple are one good pitcher and one mediocre one. Buehrle and Contreras should be pretty high, and IMO Garcia and Garland could beat some of those pairings.

I won't argue Oswalt and Pettitte or Harden and Zito. Honestly, I won't argue Schilling and Beckett either because both are pretty talented (although there's no way they're #1, they gotta be lower). Hudson and Smoltz are okay. Both are past their prime and they shouldn't be that high. All the others are one good starter and one mediocre to decent one.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
If by sucks you mean above average.  He's not an ace or anything but he's still a damn solid pitcher.

Meh. He's had some decent years, but there are a lot of mediocre to poor ones mixed in too. He's got a 4.22 career ERA, which I suppose is okay. He's been over 4.4 for 5 of his 11 years, and was under 4 only 3 times. He's a decent #3, but unfortunately for the Twins he's been a #1 or #2 for them most of his career.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 09:28 PM)
Meh. He's had some decent years, but there are a lot of mediocre to poor ones mixed in too. He's got a 4.22 career ERA, which I suppose is okay. He's been over 4.4 for 5 of his 11 years, and was under 4 only 3 times. He's a decent #3, but unfortunately for the Twins he's been a #1 or #2 for them most of his career.

I was actually just basing it on the last few years because he said radke sucks "now." He's been pretty solid the last two years, over his career though I agree that he's been pretty average.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)
Huddy/Smoltz

Mulder/Carpenter

Pettite/Oswalt (I could buy this)

Zito/Harden

Those all I can buy.  I can even buy Zambrono/Prior just because Zambrono is so dominate.  But If I subscribe to that same philosphy Johan/ANYONE as well as Contreras/Buehrle would be on that list.

Beckett/Schill #1, what the hell did they do last year and Glavine/Pedro well I just don't think Glavine is that good anymore, however Pedro is still pretty freaking great. 

Johnson/Mussina is a joke, just about as big as Beckett/Schill.  I think Colon/Lackey could round out the list for sure (Colon is pretty damn good).  I could maybe buy a Halladay/Burnett if both were healthy, cause each have a lot of potential and well Halladay has been one of the better pitchers over the past few years.

I think Halladay/Burnett may be the biggest joke of 'em all. Halladay is a Cy Young type pitcher, but what the hell has Burnett ever done to merit any praise? Even when he ain't hurt, the guy is a career sub-.500 pitcher, and he pitched on some pretty decent Marlins teams. He's basically the slightly less injured version of Kerry Wood.

If he was on the Sox, he'd be the number 7 starter. At least in my book. McCarthy hasn't proved much, but at least he can stay healthy. And the other 5, I don't think its much question.

Edited by KevHead0881