April 22nd Game Thread Twins at Sox

I missed the first 1 1/2 innings, but by reading this thread, I can assume that Garcia's not throwing very hard? The radio guys made it sound like his offspeed pitches weren't biting very much.

Also, can Chris Singleton please not say "GOT IT" when a guy hits a homer. It sure seems as if they're saying the outfielder caught the ball.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 11:45 PM)
Terrible call.  We're hitting Radke left and right, and it's the second inning.  Also should note that with a man on second you bunt down the third base line.

Especially because it's not like it's hard for someone to try and pull a ball to the right side against Radke.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 06:45 PM)
Terrible call.  We're hitting Radke left and right, and it's the second inning.  Also should note that with a man on second you bunt down the third base line.

Like I said, The Baby messed up the bunt. The perfect bunt would have been down the 3rd base line, he just missed it.

QUOTE(rventura23 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 11:47 PM)
DJ said they dont throw changeups in Japan, I didnt know that

Iguchi has adjusted well

That's funny, because it seems most Japanese pitchers throw changeups when they come over. I've always heard that the 2-seam fastball is the hardest pitch for Japanese hitters to adjust to when they play in the majors.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
I missed the first 1 1/2 innings, but by reading this thread, I can assume that Garcia's not throwing very hard?  The radio guys made it sound like his offspeed pitches weren't biting very much.

Also, can Chris Singleton please not say "GOT IT" when a guy hits a homer.  It sure seems as if they're saying the outfielder caught the ball.

If Garcia is at 91 and above he can dominate. He has great breaking stuff, but the difference in velocity along with the tilt is what makes him good. If he is at 85-87 he will have problems. The speed differential wont be there and they dont have to time the pitch, just check for the tilt. He doesnt have the control to pitch at the high 80s. Now the twins are not a great hitting ballclub. If he is doing what Rowand is saying and being hard headed and trying to pitch a different way then he needs to add and subtract from his fastball a bit more. Every so often gun it up at 91-92 so people dont sit on the pitch.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
It is? No it's not.

Ugh. JD loses one in the lights.

If this is Garcia's quality stuff, then something is wrong with him. He has no snap on his offspeed pitch, and his fastball seems flat.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 07:52 PM)
Well...I see what everyone's saying about Garcia's stuff lacking tonight.

It depends on what you're watching. Supposedly, WGN has him mid-80's. FSN North has him upper 80's and topping at ~92.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
It depends on what you're watching.  Supposedly, WGN has him mid-80's.  FSN North has him upper 80's and topping at ~92.

And WGN/Comcast has been lower than the stadium gun this year as well.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
It depends on what you're watching.  Supposedly, WGN has him mid-80's.  FSN North has him upper 80's and topping at ~92.

I'm not getting a velocity reading...just using my own two eyes to judge his stuff. He hung that first pitch big time to Hunter.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
And WGN/Comcast has been lower than the stadium gun this year as well.

The Cell's gun has been known for being a bit fast though.

I don't even see where WGN is showing the speed though. Do they only do certain pitches or something?