Shopping for a new PC

SoxFanForever

Well, I am in the middle of shopping for a new computer. The one I currently use is about 5 years old, outdated and full of garbage. I don't really want to take the time to reformat and and upgrade this PC for a 3rd time. I have taken it as far as it will go.

So anyways, I am looking for a decent/fair priced system that will be used for some work basic stuff for my job (word, excel, etc). But my main focus is that I would like a gaming system.

I have checked out tigerdirect.com and newegg.com a little. However, I am wondering if anyone has other suggestions/ideas where I can find a good setup for a fair price. Suggestions appreciated.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 07:57 PM)
My only bit of advice:

Avoid Dell like the plague.

I guess you needed tech support or something. They are pretty horrible for that I've heard.

Other than that, I've owned several Dell computers and I've never had a problem with one of them. Includes two desktops and a laptop as well.

Although for a gaming system, Dell's XPS systems are definitely overpriced.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 02:22 AM)
My buddy made his own and made a decent machine.  I guess I could just order all the parts off newegg and build it myself.  Just gotta figure out what to order now.

build your own and it will be cheaper, if you can get yourself one of these video card

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/14/sne...quad_gpu_setup/

I disagree. IF you are going to buy from a major distributer you should probably go Dell. At one of my jobs they have been buying Dell's for the past 3 years. A couple hundred each year and every once in a while you get a bad one. The people who had trouble with their Dells is just one computer out of how many they build? While it does suck to have the bad one (I know from experience) they don't totally suck.

Gateways to me are crap. At least the older ones. Before they started buying Dells there were all Gateways at my job and I'll tell you those are crap. I don't know about now, but the s*** I have to go through because of how poorly these machines are designed left me with no confidence in them at all.

As far as tech support, how many companies don't have tech support overseas. That is weird though, anytime I call Dell it's always in the U.S. that might be because they have gold tech support though...

My recommendation for whichever way you go is make sure you don't get a machine that's already maxed out on everything. In reality I would wait til the next O/S, but if you can't then make sure you get something for the future that the new O/S will be able to handle.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 10:53 PM)
I disagree. IF you are going to buy from a major distributer you should probably go Dell.  At one of my jobs they have been buying Dell's for the past 3 years. A couple hundred each year and every once in a while you get a bad one. The people who had trouble with their Dells is just one computer out of how many they build? While it does suck to have the bad one (I know from experience) they don't totally suck.

Gateways to me are crap. At least the older ones.  Before they started buying Dells there were all Gateways at my job and I'll tell you those are crap. I don't know about now, but the s*** I have to go through because of how poorly these machines are designed left me with no confidence in them at all.

As far as tech support, how many companies don't have tech support overseas. That is weird though, anytime I call Dell it's always in the U.S. that might be because they have gold tech support though...

My recommendation for whichever way you go is make sure you don't get a machine that's already maxed out on everything. In reality I would wait til the next O/S, but if you can't then make sure you get something for the future that the new O/S will be able to handle.

I work with Dells. It is all we purchase here. I've had to deal with support many times. Gold support is definitely better than standard. You will be talking to someone in India with standard. Gold will get you an American that knows what they are doing. We purchase about 50 machines per year and have been using dell for the last 5 years. I have very few problems with their machines and their gold support is terrific.

If you know how to build one and want to gear it towards gaming...then go for it. If you don't know what you're doing....it's not worth it.

Your company with Dell = Wonderful, helpful company.

You on your own with Dell = The worst company in the computing business.

Dell doesn't care about Joe Public. I bought Dell at first because I loved the one I had at work. When mine went down, I didn't hold anything against the company. I understood that sometimes you get a lemon. I was looking for satisfaction and some sort of peace of mind. Instead I got people who could hardly speak English, and the people were rude and of no help at all. They kept sending me refurbished hard drives. I would tell them I don't want a refurbished hard drive, after the second drive, it was obvious it was a greater problem. But nope, Habib told me I could only get a refurbished hard drive, the third time, and that a tech would be out to install it in two weeks. I told him to send me the drive, I would install it myself. He said they wouldn't be responsible for it if I did that. I told them they were of no help to me to begin with, so fine, send me the damn drive and get out of my life.

I got the drive. It lasted for about 6 months. I bought a new one from Best Buy, and it is still going. The computer still has problems though, but I just deal with them and be sure to back-up every couple months.

Dell sucks.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
And add BootCamp with WIndows XP. You get the best of both worlds :)

windblows and best should never be used in the same sentence.

mac all the way

I used to sell HP, sony, COmpaq and IBM. IBM laptops are top notch, the rest of the brands were crap. I own 4 Dells now, and i love them all. I also used to own Macs, loved them, but not being able to find compatible software for it all the time was annoying.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 06:26 PM)
I agree 100% with that. However, he said he wanted part of it for gaming. Which is a good chance that the games he likes to play are not made for Mac.

Exactly, I have been a non-mac user since my first PC in 1995. Additionally, most of the games I would want to play do not come for mac.

QUOTE(MEANS @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
windblows and best should never be used in the same sentence.

mac all the way

macs remind me of the cubs

once you get past the cutesie qualities, there aren't much to them.

:D

just messing with you guys

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 06:39 PM)
macs remind me of the cubs

once you get past the cutesie qualities, there aren't much to them.

:D

just messing with you guys

and pc's remind me of the cubs, always falling apart. always in the shop i.e. disabled list....and a large brainwashed following.

QUOTE(MEANS @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 06:21 AM)
and pc's remind me of the cubs, always falling apart. always in the shop i.e. disabled list....and a large brainwashed following.

All technology is made to break, computers are one of them. As far a brainwashed? Would that mean that most people who own a car are brainwashed? Its like saying, people and businesses who are using something they need to function and make our world work are brainwashed. Come on hater.