Popularity of WSox other than in Chicago

NYSox35

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(vandy125 @ May 8, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
From what I have seen (this probably is not too surprising):

1.  Cubs

2.  Cardinals

3.  Transplants like me who cheer on their own teams.

vandy, thats a kick ass signature, yo

last year a day or two after the world series i'm still walking around on cloud nine, just looking for someone to talk sox with.

so i'm standing around campus on an assignment and i see this older guy walk by with a sox hat on. i'm like "dude, how about those sox! champions! how awesome is that!"

he's like: "oh, i just liked the hat. i got it at tj maxx."

ugh.

QUOTE(NYSox35 @ May 8, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
Orland Park isn't very shocking...although I hear there is a big Cub presence out that way, which is annoying.

Well, there's a big Cub presence in all of Chicago's suburbs. Orland Park might have more Sox fans per capita than any other suburb, though.

orland is a huge sox town, although there are some cubs fans. i think though a lot of OP sox fans are converts.

in michigan, there are a lot of cubs fans, but a solid amount of sox hats, think its more for show. they love the D troit hats of course, and all have raging boners over the tigers. i remind them every day that the last winning season was in 1993.

Edited by rowand's rowdies

Every time I think I have a handle on this question I see something that confuses the hell out of me. During the Series last year, I saw tons of Sox gear, even exchanged a handful of "Go Sox!" chants with pedestrians in my Brooklyn neighborhood (and these are people who recognize my 1983 cap). But lately it's been only sporadic sightings, usually on young guys who couldn't possibly be from Chicago. Maybe they're just bowled over by the undeniable awesomeness of our team.

By the way: if you don't have MLB Extra Innings, Hooters Times Sq. has thirty-some screens and will happily turn to the game you ask for if the ESPN Zone isn't playing what you want.

QUOTE(ExpatNYC @ May 8, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
Every time I think I have a handle on this question I see something that confuses the hell out of me. During the Series last year, I saw tons of Sox gear, even exchanged a handful of "Go Sox!" chants with pedestrians in my Brooklyn neighborhood (and these are people who recognize my 1983 cap). But lately it's been only sporadic sightings, usually on young guys who couldn't possibly be from Chicago. Maybe they're just bowled over by the undeniable awesomeness of our team.

By the way: if you don't have MLB Extra Innings, Hooters Times Sq. has thirty-some screens and will happily turn to the game you ask for if the ESPN Zone isn't playing what you want.

Wow, good tip dude! Just another good reason to check out that fine establishment...

I've only lived in New Hampshire for a couple months, but I think I'm the only person I've seen wearing anything other than BoSox s***. I was home (Oswego) this past weekend and couldn't believe how many cars now have White Sox bumper stickers and license plate holders. I hardly ever saw White Sox stuff before the Series, it was all Scrubs s***.

QUOTE(fullcollapse @ May 8, 2006 -> 07:39 PM)
mostly twins fans here, then probably cubs and yankees then maybe st. louis.  not too many sox fans around.

did you drive to Anaheim last October for a playoff game? I met someone and his girlfriend (or wife) in the parking lot who had SD plates, thought it might be you.

did you drive to Anaheim last October for a playoff game? I met someone and his girlfriend (or wife) in the parking lot who had SD plates, thought it might be you.

this wasn't me, but it is nice to know there is at least one other sox fan in the state somewhere.

Stuck here in the Twin Cities, you see Twinkies stuff when they're winning. I have seen alot more SOX stuff this year. These people still wear there Vikings stuff in the off-season.

it seems like there is always a good amount of sox fans at the games there. one year we sat next to some sox fans and got a good magglio chant going.

There's no Sox presence in upstate NY, aside from the stickers on my car.

Cooperstown's stores didn't have much Sox stuff beforehand, but that changed after they won the Series. Not just because it's the Hall of Fame, but because that's where every Sox fan within two hours went to get their championship stuff. No other stores had them.

QUOTE(Sox Machine @ May 10, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
There's no Sox presence in upstate NY, aside from the stickers on my car.

Cooperstown's stores didn't have much Sox stuff beforehand, but that changed after they won the Series. Not just because it's the Hall of Fame, but because that's where every Sox fan within two hours went to get their championship stuff. No other stores had them.

Welcome to SoxTalk! :cheers

Are you the writer of the blog of the same name?

QUOTE(Sox Machine @ May 10, 2006 -> 12:27 AM)
Thanks, and indeed I am. First time poster, long-time lurker.

I'll hang up and wait for my answer.

Solid. Your blog is definitely one of the Sox blogs I keep up with on a daily basis. Look forward to seeing your posts on topics around the forum.

In LA/SFV, it is:

Mostly Dodgers

Red Sox and Yankees in a dead heat

a few Angels

some Cubs

a whisper of White Sox

and maybe one or two Padres

We represented pretty well at Angel Stadium.

I was at Dodger Stadium for the Furcal/Lee collision, and it was pretty much a home game for the Cubs, idiotic drunkard fans cheering for a game Little Leaguers could have taken from the Dodgers when their five-tool All-Star leaves the game hurt.

There is a guy I've seen tooling around Burbank in some little red rust-bucket sedan with the navy and white Red Sox B painted on the hood. And there was the kid I waited on a couple of months ago who had a red B tattoo that took up his entire triceps. Maybe that's his car.

Eh well, better them than the Yankees.