Maisel's Post-Spring Top 25

I think this list has a little more respectability than the ones I saw after the national title. Link

I'm not so sure about OSU at 1, but they'll be a top team. ND comes in at 8. Iowa is the next Big Ten team at 10, Michigan sits at 16, and Penn St. at 21. NIU, Northwestern, and Wisconsin among the other teams getting consideration. If NU gets production out of QB there is little doubt in my mind that they are a top 25 team. The Big Ten in general looks like a tight race as long as OSU doesn't run away with it.

Edited by danman31

OU sounds a touch high, but should be Top 5. Texas is way too high without a guy who has taken a snap. The Huskers may be a few spots too high but I believe they win the Big 12 North. Texas Tech is usually a tough read. A&M will be too, but I really like their backup QB who I suppose is now starting. Fast white guy who got to show off a little bit at times this past year.

Big 12 Championship will be OU vs. Nebraska

North Sleeper: Mizzou

South Sleeper: A&M

Both teams have QB's stepping in that we're overshadowed by their predecessor. Chase Daniel really impressed me. Mizzou better hope he doesn't get Pinkel'd. McGee plays well and I think will be better than McNeal, or at least that's a hunch I have.

North Disappointment?: Iowa St.

South Disappointment?: Tech or Texas

In the South, one of those teams won't live up to expectations, IMO. OU should own the division, and like I said, I feel A&M will do well. Baylor and OSU may steal a win. Iowa State's schedule works against them, facing Tech, Texas and OU in the South, along with Toledo and Iowa. Nebraska will win the division, plus ISU tends to choke. An offense that returns 10 starters may still not be able to overcome a D losing tons of skill players, including the bulk of the secondary.

I don't know if there is enough other than Chase Daniel to get excited about. Chase Coffman was freshman All-America at TE and will be a nice target for Daniel. All the halfbacks are coming back so the running attack might be decent. The rest of the team has some talent, but nothing special. I guess that statement goes for the whole team. I'm expecting another mediocre to above average season with the following year Mizzou's shot at the North with Daniel, Coffman, and the RBs all vets and Nebraska comes to Columbia where they have lost the last 2.

I don't really see why NU gets any early consideration. They just barely made a bowl game last year, and they lost several key players. They lost their leader and best player on both sides of the ball in Basanez and McGarigle, and they lost a solid lineman on each side in Strief and Coefield.

Don't get me wrong, they do have some talent. Sutton is a solid RB and they have some depth at the position, Roach and Kadela are decent linebackers, Cole can fly in the secondary, and they have some decent receivers. However, QB is a huge question mark, so is the defensive line, and the rest of the secondary is a little iffy. I think they can make another bowl game, but I don't see them as a top 25 candidate unless Bacher or someone else steps up at QB.

They have a ton of returning starters on both sides of the ball despite the key losses mentioned. The theory is guys will step up due to experience. The question mark is QB. If they get good production at QB they are top 25, if not they are probably not a bowl team.

NIU has a brutal OOC with games at Ohio State and Iowa which I expect to both be losses, but hey those are bonus games anyways since we are in the MAC. The conference schedule is favorable in the sense that NIU doesn't play Bowling Green and gets Toledo in DeKalb, but the season IMO will be decided in a 3 game road trip in late September and early October. NIU has to play at an improving Ball State, at Miami of Ohio, and at Western Michigan who is also very much improved and went 7-5 last year. If NIU can go 2-1 in that stretch, they should be playing for a trip to the MAC Title game when they host Toledo. And since the MAC has at least 3 and maybe 4 bowl bids this year, a MAC West Title actually gets you into a bowl no matter what this time. Should be a fun season, as NIU has a 1st round pick in Doug Free at OT, a 1st day pick in stud RB Garrett Wolfe, a young and talented corps of WR's and a young and very talented defense overall. This could be the best NIU team of this decade short of the 2003 team, which is saying a lot based on the success.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 19, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
I think this list has a little more respectability than the ones I saw after the national title. Link

I'm not so sure about OSU at 1, but they'll be a top team. ND comes in at 8. Iowa is the top Big Ten team at 10, Michigan sits at 16, and Penn St. at 21. NIU, Northwestern, and Wisconsin among the other teams getting consideration. If NU gets production out of QB there is little doubt in my mind that they are a top 25 team. The Big Ten in general looks like a tight race with no clear favorite right now.

How is Iowa the top Big Ten team, when OSU is also in the big ten? :huh

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 22, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
I saw that, but didn't want to correct you. It sounded much better with the words...Iowa is the top team in the big 10 :D

You wish, I got to see the spanking the bucks put on the lowly Hawkeyes at the shoe last year.

1. Of course I'm a Texas Tech homer.

2. Texas Tech will contend for the Big 12 title this year. The two normal powerhouses in OU and UT have some questions at key positions, mainly QB. TTU also gets Texas at home and will have to play at OU, which will probably be a loss. However, no team really stands above the others. TTU also has their most talented QB yet in Graham Harrell, and more importantly they have their best defense yet. It should be a 3 way fight for the South, and the closest battle yet.

The one thing that worries me about Ohio State this year is that we have such an inexperienced defense. Sure, as the season goes on, I think they will be molded into a great unit, but at the beginning of the season, when they have to match up with Texas and Iowa, not to mention on the road and at night, we may have to outscore the other team, and that is not a recipe for success. But I still think if our offense can carry us through the beginning of the season, we have a great chance to win it all.